Kitchen Aid attachments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Does anyone here know what makes the attachments that come with the KA unit NOT safe for a dishwasher? I imagine if I call them they will simply tell me not to do it, but what's the worse that can happen? Does it really matter if the paddle gets pitted? Has anyone here tossed them in the DW regardless of their warnings?

I wash the whisk and the regular white paddle in the dishwasher and they seem to do just fine. I don't use the dishwasher's drying cycle so I don't know if that's why they are rated as not dishwasher safe. I place them so the opening faces down so any water that might get in there can drain out right away.
As far as the meat grinder attachment; I hand wash the worm gear and the cutting knife and dies. The dies will rust, so they get washed and dried right away. The worm gear has an o-ring and they don't do well in the dishwasher. I do wash the plastic housing of the meat grinder in the dishwasher though. Oh, I hand wash the wood pusher that comes with it too.

I have only had mine a few months, but the thought of loss of function or performance keeps mine out of the DW. If pitting occurs at the attachment fitting, it could break off when mixing something thick stresses it.

The alkaline environment of a dishwasher will lead to a gray oxide coating on your uncoated aluminum paddle and dough hook that can then be transferred to your next batch of light colored food.

While there are probably no food safety issues, cleaning the tools with Barkeepers friend and a toothbrush once takes longer than a lifetime of washing by hand.

Take KA’s advice and wash aluminum agitators by hand. If you need a machine washable beater, try one of the plastic and silicone aftermarket beaters. Beater Blade and Side Swipe both get good reviews.

Looks like I'm in the market for a DW safe paddle, whisk and dough hook then. The dough hook isn't bad to clean by hand, but I hate the nooks and crannies of the paddle. And the whisk... well, it's a whisk afterall. It's so much easier to drop it into the DW.

My KA book says not to put the balloon whisk in the DW. I put the others in, though......

Really. Maybe I better read mine again.
I'll report back.

Nope. It lists all three attachments in my booklet and says not to put any of them in the DW. I guess it's safe for the paddle and the hook if they are white, but the ones that came with my mixer are not white, so I guess they must be "burnished" and not DW safe.

I regularly put the paddle and dough hook of mine in the dishwasher and have no regrets. I set them on a prong on the upper rack so the "hole" doesn't fill with water and they come out fine. I rarely use the whisk attachment. Mine are coated in a white ceramic-like product so maybe that is the difference.

Last edited:
My attachments are all 'naked'. No plastic coating. Putting them in the DW will turn them dark and cause pitting of the aluminum parts. The paddle and hook are all aluminum while the whisk wires are not but the top is.

It's simple enough to wash them if you don't leave stuff to dry on the tool.

I've had my KA and the attachment set since 1983. They have always gone in the dishwasher, including the whisk. That's 28 years of pretty consistent use and dishwasher cycles. They're all still fine. Maybe at 30 years, they will get damaged?

BTW, mine beater & dough hook are the white ones, not aluminum.

Looks like I'm in the market for a DW safe paddle, whisk and dough hook then. The dough hook isn't bad to clean by hand, but I hate the nooks and crannies of the paddle. And the whisk... well, it's a whisk afterall. It's so much easier to drop it into the DW.
I got one of these months ago for my K45SS.. and boy is it AWESOME! I use it for cake, cookie & such. I'll prolly be good for initial bread dough, then finish it with the hook.

Amazon.com: New Metro Design Beater Blade for 5-Quart KitchenAid Tilt-Head Mixers, white grey blades: Kitchen & Dining

Thanks for the recommendation, Josh. Does the rubber really help scrape down the bowl? It seems like a great idea.

I find it disappointing that the new ones are uncoated, I have older coated ones and they have been going through the dishwasher for about 18 years.

I have a beaterblade and it is awesome, no stopping to scrape down the bowl.

Very disappointing, bakechef. A high end product with low end attachments. Kind of like Harleys... they want you to modify the bike and "make it yours" by swapping out unfinished parts for chrome plated ones and uncomfortable seats for better ones. Of course, they expect you to buy their products to do this, lol.

I ordered one of those blades yesterday, in red ;^)

The Beater Blades are great. As an extra bonus, they are more efficient - everything beats up faster. You will reduce your beating time by 25-50%.

I'm looking forward to getting it, especially if it cuts down scraping the bowl.
More efficient and DW safe, what else is there? :)

I have a KA attachment question...has anybody here used a pastry knife agitator for a KA or Hobart 5qt. mixer, and how would you rate it? Thanks!

I have a KA attachment question...has anybody here used a pastry knife agitator for a KA or Hobart 5qt. mixer, and how would you rate it? Thanks!

What is that? I only went through Google's first page and no luck.

Back
Top Bottom