"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Kitchen Aid attachments

Does anyone here know what makes the attachments that come with the KA unit NOT safe for a dishwasher? I imagine if I call them they will simply tell me not to do it, but what's the worse that can happen? Does it really matter if the paddle gets pitted? Has anyone here tossed them in the DW regardless of their warnings?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I wash the whisk and the regular white paddle in the dishwasher and they seem to do just fine. I don't use the dishwasher's drying cycle so I don't know if that's why they are rated as not dishwasher safe. I place them so the opening faces down so any water that might get in there can drain out right away.
As far as the meat grinder attachment; I hand wash the worm gear and the cutting knife and dies. The dies will rust, so they get washed and dried right away. The worm gear has an o-ring and they don't do well in the dishwasher. I do wash the plastic housing of the meat grinder in the dishwasher though. Oh, I hand wash the wood pusher that comes with it too.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:12 AM   #3
Cook

I have only had mine a few months, but the thought of loss of function or performance keeps mine out of the DW. If pitting occurs at the attachment fitting, it could break off when mixing something thick stresses it.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Cook

The alkaline environment of a dishwasher will lead to a gray oxide coating on your uncoated aluminum paddle and dough hook that can then be transferred to your next batch of light colored food.

While there are probably no food safety issues, cleaning the tools with Barkeepers friend and a toothbrush once takes longer than a lifetime of washing by hand.

Take KA’s advice and wash aluminum agitators by hand. If you need a machine washable beater, try one of the plastic and silicone aftermarket beaters. Beater Blade and Side Swipe both get good reviews.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Looks like I'm in the market for a DW safe paddle, whisk and dough hook then. The dough hook isn't bad to clean by hand, but I hate the nooks and crannies of the paddle. And the whisk... well, it's a whisk afterall. It's so much easier to drop it into the DW.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #6
Senior Cook

My KA book says not to put the balloon whisk in the DW. I put the others in, though......
Old 10-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryDAmore View Post
My KA book says not to put the balloon whisk in the DW. I put the others in, though......
Really. Maybe I better read mine again.
I'll report back.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryDAmore View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Really. Maybe I better read mine again.
I'll report back.
Nope. It lists all three attachments in my booklet and says not to put any of them in the DW. I guess it's safe for the paddle and the hook if they are white, but the ones that came with my mixer are not white, so I guess they must be "burnished" and not DW safe.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:38 AM   #9
Master Chef

I regularly put the paddle and dough hook of mine in the dishwasher and have no regrets. I set them on a prong on the upper rack so the "hole" doesn't fill with water and they come out fine. I rarely use the whisk attachment. Mine are coated in a white ceramic-like product so maybe that is the difference.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

My attachments are all 'naked'. No plastic coating. Putting them in the DW will turn them dark and cause pitting of the aluminum parts. The paddle and hook are all aluminum while the whisk wires are not but the top is.

It's simple enough to wash them if you don't leave stuff to dry on the tool.

Tags
kitchen