Kitchen Aid Duel Fuel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaymonaghan1

Assistant Cook
I just purchased a Kitchen Aid 30" stainless Steel - Duel Fuel stove.

So far I am not that impressed. The first one I received the electronic lock was jammed and the oven door would not open. Needless to say I could not get the manual or burner tops or grill out of the oven, subsequently my gas fitter would not hook up the stove until he could review the specs in the manual and be able to test the burners properly.

Currently my old stove is back in place, and the "new" one is sitting in my garage awaiting pickup on the 22nd.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with this stove.

Seems the dealer is taking his time making this right. That's more of a problem than the jammed lock.

Don't get me started...

My orginal post was really around my concern over the quality of the unit... not the sad tale of acquistion...however for your morbid curriosity and amusement.....

The dealer is a major retailer....but doesn't exactly stock these dual fuel units...

I got a good deal to start - all kitchen aid was 15% off and I was initially told that they didn't carry the duel fuel. Sears also sold kitchen aid and I went through 3 people and a call to head office before they were prepared to match the price despite the 7foot sign that says they match compeitors pricing. The song and dance I was getting at the retail level of sears is that this is special kitchen aid pricing as this other place just began selling so they weren't going to match....They then got cranky when their head office told them they had to match. The sales types then were far more interested in servicing other customers and generally being disrepectful of my time so I walked out and went home to see what I could find on the internet for other retailers.

In my search I came across the duel fuel model at the first place - I got their sku number and went back to the guy I orginally dealt with and he was quite appreciative of this, and gave me a 20% discount but told me I would have to wait as it was special order.

Two weeks later the big day arrived and the stove was delivered. I had a gas tech scheduled to come by the house..... nothing any of us could do would let the stove door open. We hit self clean and you would hear the lock grind, then stop and it would grind some more as it attempted to unlock.

I then called the service line and the person at the other end deffered the call to whirlpool (who owns kitchenaid) they walked us through the same tests and then said they could have someone out on the 16th. Its 1;30pm on a Friday afternoon and I had a house full of people coming on Sunday. The 16th was like a week and a half away...

I went back to the retailer help desk and told them I wanted the stove out and my old one put back until they could get the person out. They kindly informed me that they don't do this. I escualted and got bounced around and eventually someone said they would call the delviery guys back to do the swap. Now 4.00pm they called me back and couldn't find any one to do it. However if I would do it myself they would send me a $100 gift card. Knowing moaning about it further wasn't going to help I accepted the offer. UGGH !

I then called the retail store and the manager there said he would send a couple of guys out on Saturday afternoon to do the swap. I am sure he was thinking I was a loon as who ever heard of a oven door being stuck closed. Some of the questions were like - did you remove the shrink wrap....uggh. Saturday rolls around and the store manager and the associate who sold me the unit came out. They poked, prodded and had no further luck. They did the swap for us, and ordered us up a new stove and told us to cancel the service call. Unfortunatley the earliest they could get another special order is the 22nd.

Over all I am very pleased with the dealer but when you receive a item with such a major defect you question the quality.

Just going back to the orginal question has any of the forum members had issues with their Kitchen Aid Gas or Duel Fuel stoves eletronic locking mech ?

Ok I am cranky - just got a new stove delivered.

This time I get a permenent error that says set the probe temp or remove probe. Well the meat probe is not plugged in, and plugging it in doesn't make a difference.

Who else owns one of these ? are they garbage or what ?

seems no one does, and that they are. Sorry for your troubles over a stove. But thanks for the warning on Kitchen Aid ...guess they better stay with mixers.

Thanks for the sympathy - Its May 24th and here in Calgary we have just had 15cm (3inches) of snow.

Speaking of camping...It truly was a sad sight last night you should have seen me standing out in the falling flakes making seared tuna using the side burner on our BBQ. I managed to grill some potobellos and stuff them with ricotta cheeze and some microwaved spinich. I would have much preferred to do this indoors.

Ok the Kitchen Aid is going back - its a lump of tin.
The computer is shot and the board the guy got in is DOA.

I am now purchasing the GE as Fridgeare, Kitchenaid, Maytag, Magic Chef are all made by Whirlpool.... my retailer has been great but the repair service stinks.

I guess I don't know about Whirlpool building the rest of the brands, but GE IMHO isn't any better. Aside from the fact I used to work for them and can't stand their corporate BS, my in-laws build a townhouse about 10 years back and it was upfitted with all GE appliances. There isn't one single appliance that they haven't had problems with.

The only large appliance that seems dang near bulletproof (from my findings) is Kenmore. The only problem is Sears is usually the only one that can/will service them.

Problems are one thing but two DOAs in a row is inexcuseable.
The consumer reports site has a common theme for kitchenaid that basically says - I paid top dollar but got nothing but headaches.

What really got me was that the applicance was delivered DOA but then they can't get a tech out for two weeks ? Do they really think that consumers are going to wait....

Its obvious to me that there is no QA before these go out the door at the factory which for 10min a unit, or a days burn in so to speak would probably save them 30% in returns. If I had to drill into the corporate structure they probably count each unit as sold when it goes to the end retailer vs the consumer. So when the retailer gets them back - they are repaired and resold and the company never realizes there is an issue. In the end they are basically out of touch with the end user.

You bought into a name brand that had no reason for producing what they did. They're great for stand mixers, but out of their league or just trying to sell their name for anything else.

If room in your kitchen is no object, get TWO stoves/ovens. That's what I did. I have an electric and a gas. Each one gets used for specific tasks and in the event of a large requirement for cooking (which isn't often with 2 people in the house), I have 8 burners and two FULL ovens. Sweet, eh?

Off the subject, those Sens sure did disappoint me tonight.

Ciao,
(a former ONT resident)

Canada has not won a cup since Montreal did it 1993... and we are not always sure that they are part of Canada (ha ha).

Back
Top Bottom