"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 05-09-2006, 11:33 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I've been procrastinating on this accessory for some time now.

Still didn't buy it yet.

~Corey123.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:50 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essie
Can is put someting like mineral oil on it, so it doesn't get stuck again?
Hi Essie,

Sanitary PETRO-GEL may be the best choice of lubricants for kitchen equipment where there may be incidental contact with food.

Anthony

Old 05-10-2006, 01:31 PM   #13
Executive Chef

But it will wash off when you clean after each use. Therefore, you must relube it again when dry.

~Corey123.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:24 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essie
... my problem is I can't get the grind worm out of the body. I have it all apart, but the grind worm will not budge.
Now that I know what is stuck - I had the same problem with mine the first couple of times I used it until it got "broken in" and loosened up a bit (actually - this gizmo is still a tight fit). I just held the body in one hand and smacked the back end of it on my cutting board a couple of times (the shaft end that goes into the hub in the mixer). Of course, not letting it sit for very long before disassembling helps. I generally use mine, remove it from the mixer, toss it into a bowl of hot water, and then disassemble it within about 10 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
I've been procrastinating on this accessory for some time now. Still didn't buy it yet.
Corey - read the manuals to see what you can and can not process with it before you spend the bucks. I found myself having to dig out my manual food mill for several things.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Ok.

Of course, I also have my extremmely powerful Cuisinart DLC-7Pro which can also chop and grind raw meat.

That's all I had intended to use the K'Aid grinder for if I decide to buy one.

~Corey123.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:05 PM   #16
Master Chef

Sorry Corey - I was getting the "fruit and vegetable strainer" mixed up with the food grinder.

I used to use my old lame Hamilton-Beach FP to "mince" meat - but the Food Grinder Attachment (FGA) on my KA does such a much nicer job. To me - the FGA attachment had been more than worth the cost.

But then - not all of us can afford to purchase, or have the space to store, all the coutertop appliances you have.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I don't have any countertop space I use two baker's-style racks in the back room off from the kitchen.

I'm about to set up a third smaller rack to get the rest of the storage space organized for the remaining appliances as soon as I find the plastic sleeves that hold the shelves in place.

The Fruit & Vegetable Strainer doesn't grind meat, as you know.

~Corey123.
Old 05-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #18
Master Chef

I use both my food grinder and juicer/strainer quite a bit.
I have also found it difficult to get the worm out sometimes, but my husband has come to my assistance. You just have to patiently wiggle it around a bit.

The food grinder attachment is the basic mechanism needed for several of the other attachments, including the juicer/strainer and the pasta maker. I use it to grind meat for homemade sausage or meat spreads. It doesn't pulverize the meat as a food processor would.
The juicer/strainer is great for processing tomatoes. One can halve raw roma tomatoes, put them in, and it spits out the good pulp, leaving the skin and seeds behind.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:26 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Thanks to everyone!

I just ground chicken breasts for meatballs, washed and dried the grinder parts and am letting them sit out to air dry some more, before putting away.

The chicken turned out very well, with no effort.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:31 AM   #20
Assistant Cook

one tid bit on KA grinder...if you are grinding clams don't press down to speed up the process...you will force oil out of the KA unit...not good in the food. It might be because of the amount of fluid in the clams...not sure. The manuel tells you not to put a lot of pressure...I learn the hard way