"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-26-2007, 07:02 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
yeah, I`ve seen plenty with belts too, some with toothed belts also.

that Diag should certainly help though, if nothing else it`ll tell you what can be taken appart and assist in re-building it too.

it might be something daft like a gear pin come loose.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #12
Cook

Thanks for the link YT2095. The wesite has the full sevice manual (bottom left).

Thanks again.

Old 02-26-2007, 11:06 AM   #13
Cook

Apparently I had done everything right. Just couldn't pry the motor case from the bottom cover. The trick was to reattach the pedestal and use that for leverage.
And here is the problem:
Click image for larger version

Name:	159_5928.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	2529

Click image for larger version

Name:	159_5929.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	2530

That's the only plastic gear.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:13 AM   #14
Head Chef

That is one dramatic picture. At the risk of asking a stupid question, is it fixable? Can you buy a spare part to repair it?
Old 02-26-2007, 12:13 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash
Thanks for the link YT2095. The wesite has the full sevice manual (bottom left).

Thanks again.
You`re Quite welcome :)

also I didn`t mean to be wrong about the belt idea it`s just that all that I`ve seen so far of that shape have incorporated a Belt to the gear train that runs along the top arm to the mixer part, the only thing ever that was Direct drive was right from the motor shaft to the Blender attatchment that sat ontop, Corey will know what I mean when he thinks of his Kenwood.

I`m pleased all`s well thus far and the the prob is Identified *OUCH!*
it really did a number on that sucker!
I`m fairly confident that the link I gave will supply replacement parts also, although it Might be prudent to identify that part name and or number code and see if there`s a Metal replacement instead, Google should some give Some idea of this, as I`m certain you`re not the only one to have experienced this, so it must be a Known problem :)

all the best with it dude! let me/US know the outcome

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:14 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Yes YT2095, you're right!!

The blender drive socket sat directly on top of the motor, and was powered by it. I don't have that mixer now. That was years ago when I had it.

And BTW, now I remember! The unit's overload protection would shut off the machine right when I was making cake batter. It was a pain.

Just like the Electrolux Assistant (not broken). Only thing is, to use that drive socket for an accessory like the blender, the machine has to be turned on its left side. But it IS connected directly to the motor.

Other accessories such as the grinder, is powered by the drive socket that powers and spins the bowl. This is the transmission's job.

Crash, I always knew that K'Aid mixers were lubricated, but that looks like a bit much!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:02 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Looks like your brownies worked their way inside the mixer.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:15 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I'm beginning to wonder if MY 20-year-old K45SS looks like that inside.

But I think everyone knows the old saying; "If it ain't broken, don't fix it."
So I decided not to go looking for trouble.

Anywhoo, hear's another website that you can visit, Crash. It's parts for your needs.

They should have some of the parts that you might need to overhaul you K'Aid Stand Mixer. Just type in the model number in the small box - in this case, it would be K45SS. Both this model and the K5SSWH pretty much use the same identical parts for the inner workings of the mixer.
Old 02-27-2007, 03:09 PM   #19
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoop Puss
That is one dramatic picture. At the risk of asking a stupid question, is it fixable? Can you buy a spare part to repair it?
It only looks dramatic. Other than the stripped plastic worm gear, there is nothing wrong. The messy stuff is grease.

Yes it's fixable. The part? That's another story. While I found a whole bunch of websites that sell the part for about $12.00, all were out of stock. One would think, since this is the only gear prone to failure, that it would be in stock everywhere.

I called KA and got the name of the closest KA service center (an hour away). They had the part for $50, I can only imagine how much they would have charge to install it as well.

I finally found one at Marbec.com $19.99 delivered.

Considering the price of a new machine, this is a cheap fix.
One thing I need to consider, is whether I should remove all the grease and replace it with new stuff.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:57 PM   #20
Executive Chef

It probably wouldn't hurt to do that, since you're already doing "surgery" on it now.

Some of the worn plastic from the gear that wore out could be lodged in that grease, and lurking to create another "disease" for the mixer.