"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #21
DC's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash
While I found a whole bunch of websites that sell the part for about $12.00, all were out of stock. One would think, since this is the only gear prone to failure, that it would be in stock everywhere.
Logic would suggest that this gear's high failure rate is pricisely the reason it's NOT in stock.

Any engineering whizzes here? It would seem stupid to put a vulnerable plastic gear in a metal gear train, but maybe the design philosophy is to sacrifice the plastic gear to keep from trashing the entire gear train, Any thoughts on that, y'all?

Old 02-27-2007, 06:20 PM   #22
DC's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
Some of the worn plastic from the gear that wore out could be lodged in that grease, and lurking to create another "disease" for the mixer.
Excellent point!

Old 02-27-2007, 06:40 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Excellent point!

It just dawned on me why my K'Aid K5SSWH might not have been able to accept the use of the grinder attachment!!

Because of this cheap inferior part that you suggest is sometimes like trying to find a needle in a haystack, Buck!!

Given the fact that my newer K5SSWH had wimped out when the grinder was being used with it, and the much older K45SS didn't flinch at all, I'd say that there is in fact a cheap and flimsily-made drive lug for the accessory port!!

I think I'm beginning to put 2 & 2 together, and have come to the realization that the hub drive on later K'Aid Stand Mixers is just for show. A member at Epinions.com has also told me that the grain mill attachment can't be used either!!

What a shame!!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:47 PM   #24
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Logic would suggest that this gear's high failure rate is pricisely the reason it's NOT in stock.

Any engineering whizzes here? It would seem stupid to put a vulnerable plastic gear in a metal gear train, but maybe the design philosophy is to sacrifice the plastic gear to keep from trashing the entire gear train, Any thoughts on that, y'all?
I think it's more to save fingers and hands.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:03 AM   #25
Head Chef

Hello everyone but especially Crash. This is a fascinating thread. And a bad ad for KA. I would have assumed that the sturdy-looking exterior would have been matched by a sturdy interior. Evidently not.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:17 AM   #26
Assistant Cook

The plastic gear is designed to be a sacrificial gear .This one did exactly what it was supposed to do. It's an easy enough fix and cheap when you get the part online.The design has been used since the Hobart days [yes, the old Hobart KAs have the same plastic sacrificial gear] .

The newer ones with the plastic gear cover have all metal gears and instead of the sacrificial gear they have a shut off feature if overloaded. I prefer the sacrificial gear.Easier to fix yourself if something goes .Of course neither of my KAs with the new style gears have had any problems at all so I don't kow that for sure.

Not affiliated with KA just a multiple KA owner who loves her KAs.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:07 AM   #27
Executive Chef

According to the info and cut-away on the box, the onyx color K'Aid Artisan Stand Mixer now supposedly has an all-metal transmission.

But I don't know if this plastic gear is still used. I once sent an e-mail to K'Aid, asking them if their mixer models below the Pro 500 and Pro 600 models have metal transmissions inside of them.

They responded by saying that the K45SS, K5SS and KSM90 all have nylon gears, designed so that if they ever were to fail, the motor would be saved, which would eliminate the expensive cost of replacing the motor.

And BTW, the grinder attachment is the one that has the mixer using the most power or torque, I was told.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:17 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
you`de think they`de make it a little easier to gain access to that part though and a little less mucky.
that`s probably why the belts are used in some, much easier to replace and does a similar job.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:32 AM   #29
Executive Chef

I remember when food processors were becoming very popular in the late '70s. Some of them had belts. Now the majority of them have direct drive.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:06 PM   #30
Cook

I got my gear today. It cost $11.50 + $6.95 for shipping. It arrived a week later in a small envelope with a 63 cent stamp. Gotta love free enterprise.

That was from Marbeck.com.

Anyhow, could I use regular ball bearing grease to repack the gear box?