Kitchen aid mixers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've checked the manuals for a couple of different KA models - the adjustments are made using the Flat Beater - not the whisk or dough hook. You can not adjust the beater/whisk/dough hook space to the side of the bowl - only the bottom clearance.

SpiceUmUp said:
I am aware the Kenwood mixers have a thermal overload. The second Kenwood I bought (a DeLonghi) failed after 5 minutes in its first use out of the box when the themal overload shut the red hot motor down. I finished the bread dough I was making by moving the bowl, hook and all to my other Kenwood mixer. It had no problems.

The customer service rep told me there was nothig she could do but if I drove the unit 45 miles to a service center and I would have to pay for the labor but the parts were covered by warranty. Gee what sports on a 5 minute old mixer.

My two other Kenwood mixers, an 8 year old Rival Select and a 1957 Kenwood both work perfectly, love to use them in fact. The Rival has a much better dough hook than the orginal KA C hook. The newer spiral hook is the best on the market. The original Kenwood hook from the 1950's is awful and nearly useless.

Of the 36 mixers I own and use, the 7 KA's are my favorites and the 2 Kenwoods are a close second. In my opionion the Osters are Junk. The early Sunbeans are nearly impossible to kill, I have one from 1932 that runs flawlessly. I also like my old Hamilton Beach and Dormeyer mixers, but more as items of art than as useful kitchen tools.

I would think that as the Brioche dough is so much softer than a typical bread dough that it would be quite safe to run at a higher speed. You can always go to www.forum.kitchenaid.com and ask

A DeLonghi mixer that fails after its first 5 minutes of use should be cause for a replacement under warranty. However, DeLonghi chooses for its customer to drive 45 miles to the nearest service center, where whe cost of labor for the repairs isn't covered. So, we have an hour of wasted time driving to the facility, an hour wasted driving back. Then, another two hours driving back and forth to the shop to pick up the mixer. That's 4 hours of labor, which figures at $40.00 based on $10.00 per hour of labor. Then, add another $30.00 for the labor of fixing the mixer (maybe more?). That's at least $70.00 in wasted time and money. Oh, I forgot gas, which adds another $30.00 to the cost, approximately. So now we're out $100.00 in wasted time, gas, and money for a blown motor on a brand new mixer.

When people purchase an appliance, they often don't know about the potential hidden costs of ownership. The KitchenAid is usually priced at $100.00 less than DeLonghi's offerings. And should anything go wrong with the KitchenAid, a new one gets delivered directly to the customer, and the old one gets picked up. But that DeLonghi that SpiceUmUp bought would have added another $100.00 to the higher amount paid for it if it would have been serviced.

You should proudly display that broken DeLonghi right next to your newest KitchenAids, SpiceUmUp. And the next time someone opens their mouth about a plastic transmission cover, then show them that lovely broken DeLonghi right next to the KitchenAid with a plastic transmission cover that still works!

If a person buys a pink KitchenAid mixer, then KitchenAid will donate $50.00 to the Komen Foundation. I have NEVER in my life heard of Electrolux, DeLonghi, Sunbeam/Oster, or any other brand doing that. And as SpiceUmUp said, which other company has an honest message board where problems and topics can be freely picked over? And I mean, the company will even allow negative posts about their product from upset customers, on their message board!

I have had a Pro 5 Plus for almost a year so far. I use it within the guidelines spelled out in the owner's manual. It has never given me a single problem. In fact, I believe Cooks Illustrated reviewed that model and determined that it actually combines ingredients faster than the Hobart N-50. And one person on the KitchenAid forums wrote that the Pro 5 Plus actually turned out a batch of yeast dough faster than the Hobart, with its spiral dough hook. My KitchenAid was a bargain compared to the commercial machine I also have in my collection. It was a purchase that not only didn't cost much, but was totally and completely free of any risk. What more could I ask for?

MrCoffee

Not all of the K'Aid machines that have the plastic cover for the transmission
have problems. Just maybe a few.

And I'm not afraid to say that it was me who mentioned the plastic cover!

And this issue was put to rest a while ago anyway, so why are you rehashing it now? Seems to me, that you're just trying to open old wounds and stir up trouble.

Corey123.

Last edited:
I guess I'm lucky. I have a Hobart Kitchenaid mixer. I think it was one of my mother's wedding gifts. Could be older, I don't know. I know it's much older than me and it never gives me any problems... too bad they're tricky to come by.

I'll remember to thank my mother tomorrow when I have to run some errands for her.

If a person buys a pink KitchenAid mixer, then KitchenAid will donate $50.00 to the Komen Foundation. I have NEVER in my life heard of Electrolux, DeLonghi, Sunbeam/Oster, or any other brand doing that. And as SpiceUmUp said, which other company has an honest message board where problems and topics can be freely picked over? And I mean, the company will even allow negative posts about their product from upset customers, on their message board!

It's a nice promotion, and I would have loved to buy the Komen Foundation mixer, except that it was pink. Obviously, as a man, buying a pink mixer is not an option (the fact that I love to bake makes it hard enough to maintain my masculinity; I draw the line at a flaming pink mixer on my counter). A shame they didn't choose a more neutral color so guys could contribute to this charity too.

The K'Aid mixer that I just bought last month was the K5SS, and the Cook for the Cure sticker was put on the box, meaning also, that part of the money that I paid for the machine might have went to the Susan G. Koman Breast Cancer Foundation.

And I'm wondering if this was really true because the mixer itself is white in color. But I was in the downtown Boston Filene's store the other day and saw that all of the K'Aid mixers have been sold except one - an Artisan 5-qt.
machine. And the box was partially open, revealing that it's a pink machine.

Your masculinity is not questionable just because you like to bake! I'm not ashamed to say that I like to bake. Or cook for that matter. ****, some of the best bakers are men!

-=-=-=-=-=-

K'Aid has just introduced a new & improved replacement stand mixer for the famous K5SS! I just visited their website and saw it there.

Renamed the Commercial 5 Series KP26MIX, it looks almost similar to, and has about the same identical dimensions as the now discontinued K5SS, it has a more powerful 450-watt motor, all-metal transmission, has an automatic overload switch, and is commercially rated for industrial use. It also has the Certified NSF seal of approval It's also UL commercially-rated..

It's also more expensive than the Pro 5 and Pro 6 models -costing almost $500.00! I also uses the same identical bowl as the K5SS and now uses the spiral dough hook. It's still available in white only.

If you'd like to see it, just go visit http://www.kitchenaid.com.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom