"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-11-2006, 11:57 AM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonr
In case anyone is interested, I just took my Pro 600 for a run. I am quite impressed with its power. The brioche was silky smooth and cleaning the sides and bottom of the bowl in about 3 minutes at level 4. My old 300 w mixer needed about 12 minutes to get to that point, at maximum power. Though I guess, in fairness, my old mixer never really achieved maxium speed; in reality, the dough was probably limiting it to speed 4 or 6 anyway.

The new mixer performed rather well. Not only did it get the job done in about 1/4 the time, it only became slightly warm, and did not move at all. My old mixer would heat up and be rattling around the table. There was even a danger of it falling off!

My only complaint was that my new mixer experienced some slight wobbling of the bowl. It wasn't enough to do any harm, just sort of a big vibration. I attribute this to what I perceive to be an inherent instability to the way in which the bowl is secured to the mechanism. While the combination of the two sides screws and securing the bowl to the bracket from behind makes things more or less stable, it is the bare minimum, and nowhere near as secure as the screw-in bottom design of the tilt head mixers, where the bottom of the bowl screws tightly into the bottom of the mixer.

I am not impressed with this crank lift system. I find it to be awkward and unwieldly compared to the more elegamnt tilt head system. It just seems to be overly complicated, with no apparent advantage that my admittedly non-expert eyes can detect. It is less stable, less practical in terms of giving you room to change attachments, and more likely for something to go wrong, since it seems to have so many more components to it.

Why does Kitchenaid use this awkward system for its high end mixer, rather than the tilt head it uses for its lower end models? I don't get it, what is the advantage?

To try to answer your last sentece, one answer could be that these models along with my new K'Aid K5SS, the bowl-lift system enables the mixer to accommodate the water jacket, an optional accessory that can't be used with any of the tilt-head K'Aid mixers. It hooks onto the two short stubs that you might see poking out on the bowl bracket at each side. Then you fill it with ice or hot water.

This accessory allows you to either chill or warm the mixing bowl, depending on what you are processing in the bowl.

Usually, the bowl snaps in place in the back of the bracket after placing the
two side mounts of the bowl over the poke spokes. I've had the bowl on the tilt-head K45SS Classic work itself loose a few times, so I have to make sure that it's really tightened in the base.

The K5SS sounds surprisingly quieter than the K45SS Classic. I guess the crank lift system is necessary with these models. They are basically designed after the countertop commercial Hobart N50.

~Corey123.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:59 PM   #52
Senior Cook

I've just finished reading this thread start to finish, and I have to say, I am very impressed with how much you guys know about mixers! So, I am thinking that any of you could answer my puny little question!!

I have a ka classic 250 watt. sounds like for what I use it for, it will be fine, although I plan to be expanding my skills soon to breadmaking after Spiceemup's bread post not to long ago! So mainly I use it for mixing cakes and making mash. When I make cakes, I find that I have to stop the machine and take off the bowl and manually mix the bit of flour left at the bottom, then put it back on the mixer again to complete the job. What is going wrong? Can I adjust the mixer to actually mix the entire contents or is this the way it is? Help me, all you mixer experts!

The Glory of God is Man Fully Alive!
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 01:22 PM   #53
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to SpiceUmUp
There is an adjustment to bring the beater closer to the bowl. They call it the Dime Test: the gap below the hook or beater should be the thickness of a dime. Go to www.forum.kitchenaid.com there are several threads that give you the directions how to make the adjustment.

Your KA Classic is perfectly fine for making small batches of bread dough. 6 cups of flour to 2 cups of water. It should only take 4 to 5 minutes of kneading once all the ingredients are incorporated.

If it will become a regular part of your baking, I would suggest a larger mixer, like the Pro 5+ or Pro 600. Both can be had at Amazon or on KA's website as refurbs at a manageable cost.

GO TECH
Old 02-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #54
Executive Chef

And that adjustment screw is under the motor head at the top of the stand. At least that's where it is on mine.

When you tilt the motor head back as you normally would, you'll see it there.
Turn it slightly to the left to raise the Flat Beatter or slighlt to the right lower the Flat Beater. So that it just clears the bowl.

Don't know why, but the instruction manual says to use the Flat Beater as your guide.

The K5SS also now has one (adjustment screw), which wasn't there before.

~Corey123.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:22 PM   #55
Senior Cook

Corey123 and Spiceumup...I've only just read your responses and am very thankful! I am going to take a peek and see if I can get this thing mixin' right!!! Thanks for the help!

The Glory of God is Man Fully Alive!
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:32 AM   #56
Executive Chef

You're welcome!

I've already done this test with the new K5SS and the wire whip & flat beater come to within a dime's thickness of the bottom of the bowl.

The dough hook however, is spaced higher from the bowl's bottom. I wonder why.

~Corey123.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:21 PM   #57
Assistant Cook

Dough hook clearance..

The reason there is more space between the bottom (and sides) of the bowl and dough hook is to give sufficient room for the doughs to be "kneaded" and not literally pinched flat. There is no benefit to flattening the dough that much (when you knead by hand, you don't smash the dough flat to a dime's thickness either).
Old 02-25-2006, 12:42 AM   #58
Executive Chef

It it that way with the K45SS also?
Old 02-25-2006, 11:26 AM   #59
Assistant Cook

I don't know if the clearances are the SAME, but yes, the philosophy would be. There is much more clearance than a dime thickness on all KitchenAid models for the dough hook.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:14 PM   #60
Executive Chef

Exclamation

Well, I'm leaving both machines as is, since doing this for the dough hook would throw the other two beaters off kilter and create problems.

~Corey123.