"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 05-15-2006, 01:15 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Kitchen Aid Ravioli Maker Attachment

I have been making ravioli lately and wonder if any of you have the Kitchen Aid ravioli maker attachment. If so, do you like it? I don't want to spend all that money, if it's not worth it.

Thanks.

Old 05-15-2006, 06:39 AM   #2
Executive Chef

How much does it cost?

~Corey123.

Old 05-15-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
Master Chef

Essie - I've looked at it on the KitchenAid website and then after reading the manual I've decided it probably isn't worth it for me. Ironically - your KA stand mixer is just used to hold it - it apparently doesn't do anything else - to make it work you have to crank it by hand!

There are cheaper alternatives like the ravioli rolling pins and the hand cutters and press/molds for under $25 if you want to add a bit of "automation" and not do it totally by hand. The links I have posted here are from a company in Canada that seems to have the best prices and selection of pasta making tools - but you can find most of the same things generally for sale at US sites.

Corey - one eBay site carries it for $100, it's $125 from the KitchenAid site, and $129-$130 everywhere else I've found it.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Essie - I've looked at it on the KitchenAid website and then after reading the manual I've decided it probably isn't worth it for me. Ironically - your KA stand mixer is just used to hold it - it apparently doesn't do anything else - to make it work you have to crank it by hand!

There are cheaper alternatives like the ravioli rolling pins and the hand cutters and press/molds for under $25 if you want to add a bit of "automation" and not do it totally by hand. The links I have posted here are from a company in Canada that seems to have the best prices and selection of pasta making tools - but you can find most of the same things generally for sale at US sites.

Corey - one eBay site carries it for $100, it's $125 from the KitchenAid site, and $129-$130 everywhere else I've found it.

Did you also try Cooking.com? Chef's Catalog? Whirlpool?

K'Aid also has one that works in conjunction with the food grinder. I think that one is much cheaper.

Also, Cuisinart makes one that sits right on top of their DLC series of food processors, if you have one of their older machines such as the DLC-7Pro (I own this one), or DLC -7 Super Pro.

Then there's the hand-operated machine that clamps to the edge of your table which you hand crank the rollers.

There are also numerous self-contained electric mahines like Ronco, Simac, Lello and others. You might want to check out http://www.epinions.com to see which ones are rated the best.

~Corey123.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:05 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
Did you also try Cooking.com? Chef's Catalog? Whirlpool?
You should know me better than that by now, Corey - of course I did! How do you think I know what they cost at various outlets - and how they work?

Quote:
K'Aid also has one that works in conjunction with the food grinder. I think that one is much cheaper. .... etc ....

Yep - at about $30 the SNPA "Pasta Maker Plates", which has absolutely nothing to do with the Ravioli Maker, is much cheaper. It's a 5-piece set of plastic extrusion plates that works in conjunction with the food grinder (FGA). And, what they call the lasagna noodle die - it's not - it's more of a pappardelle noodle.

Quote:
Also, Cuisinart makes one that sits right on top of their DLC series of food processors, if you have one of their older machines such as the DLC-7Pro (I own this one), or DLC -7 Super Pro.

Don't know - since Essie was asking about the KA Ravioli Maker I didn't bother researching possibly available parts for old Cuisinart products.

Quote:
Then there the hand-operated maching that clamps to the edge of your table which you hand crank the rollers.

Yep - and they have a wide varity of noodle cutter attachments for pretty cheap, electric motors, etc ... that's why I posted a link to the best site I've found for the widest selection in the previos post. If I had it to do over again - I would go with one of these instead of the KA Pasta Roller Set (KPRA)attachment set I got - I could have gotten more for less $$$.

Quote:
There are also numerous self-contained electric mahines like Ronco, Simac, Lello and others ...

It seems that most of what you are talking about are pasta extruders - not pasta rollers, cutters, or ravioli makers. These are all discussed in the book, The Pasta Gourmet by Sunny Baker and Michelle Sbraga.

NOTE: I went back to check on something and KA seems to have added something new this afternoon (in the past 1-2 hours) ... something they call the "Pasta Excellence Kit" (KPEX) - the pasta roller, 4 noodle cutters, and the ravioli maker - for $329! I can get a pasta machine (basic pasta roller) with an electric motor, 9 noodle cutting attachments and the ravioli attachment for $265!
Old 05-15-2006, 06:48 PM   #6
Executive Chef

I thought about getting that, but it's too ridiculously expensive!

I'll look on ebay to get an idea when I'm ready to get one.

~Corey123.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:46 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Thanks to both of you. I will go the much less expensive route and by the ravioli mold.
You both have helped me before.
Thanks, again.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:00 PM   #8
Executive Chef

You're welcome!

~Corey123.