Kitchen Faucet recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Our kitchen faucet bit the dust. It might be fixable, but I don't think it is worth it. It wasn't a great faucet to start with. This time I want a very good quality faucet. I remember going to the local big box hardware store and a guy brought in a faucet part. The clerk looked at it and said, "Oh, it's a ______ (can't remember the brand). We'll just replace the part free of charge. No, you don't need the receipt." I want something of that type of quality.

Any recommendations?

Anything I should look for?

I have to be able to hook up my portable dishwasher to it.

I have a Moen. They also offer free replacement. Sadly I've had to take advantage of that too often.

We replaced our faucet with Kohler when we bought our house. Never had a problem with it and I wouldn't buy anything else.

Our kitchen faucet bit the dust. It might be fixable, but I don't think it is worth it. It wasn't a great faucet to start with. This time I want a very good quality faucet. I remember going to the local big box hardware store and a guy brought in a faucet part. The clerk looked at it and said, "Oh, it's a ______ (can't remember the brand). We'll just replace the part free of charge. No, you don't need the receipt." I want something of that type of quality.

Any recommendations?

Anything I should look for?

I have to be able to hook up my portable dishwasher to it.

Our old one was a Phister and it gave out in just over a year. I didn't even check to see if it was under any sort of warranty, because I wasn't all that fond of it anyway. The new one is a Kohler and I love it so far (we've had it for a month). I don't think that you could do a dishwasher to it though because the faucet is also a pull out sprayer. Maybe with a different model, but not ours.

I didn't know anyone still used portable dishwashers. My parents had one back in the 1960's or 70's, but that's the last time I saw one. I know the townhome where they lived from 1978 until they passed had a built in.

Our old one was a Phister and it gave out in just over a year. I didn't even check to see if it was under any sort of warranty, because I wasn't all that fond of it anyway. The new one is a Kohler and I love it so far (we've had it for a month). I don't think that you could do a dishwasher to it though because the faucet is also a pull out sprayer. Maybe with a different model, but not ours.

I didn't know anyone still used portable dishwashers. My parents had one back in the 1960's or 70's, but that's the last time I saw one. I know the townhome where they lived from 1978 until they passed had a built in.

Good Grief!!!
For what reason would you ever say such a thing RP? :angry:

Last edited:
Another vote for Kohler. The one we have does not have a separate sprayer; rather, the faucet head detaches from the rest of the neck and base as the spray unit. I really like that function. We've had that faucet for nearly a decade, had to call once for a minor issue (so minor I don't remember what it was), and would buy another Kohler if we needed a new faucet.

The have a very helpful customer call center. If you're considering Kohler, you might want to give them a call to ask what faucets, if any, connect easily to the portable dishwasher that you own.

http://www.ca.kohler.com/general/contact.jsp

I have a Kohler. I did have to get a fitting for the portable Dw (which I love.. extra counter space), no logical space for a Built-in w/out gutting the Kitchen. FWIW, three friends have portable DWs, kitchen footprint won't handle a built-in.

I can give some advice on this as I am responsible for every faucet in our house.
I installed every single one of them and I am the one who must repair them when they decide to start dripping.

Most all faucets today use a plastic removable valve stem. This is the heart and soul of the faucet. The valve is usually found under the arm or knob of the faucet.

Before buying a faucet, look and see how readily available these valves are for the faucet you want to buy! Are there some on the shelf at the box store? How much do they cost?
They do wear out and they are plastic.

IMO Delta has the best made faucet and has the best availability for parts. They also stand behind the product as mentioned above.
Delta did not give me a free part. They sent a brand new faucet when all I needed was a valve.
Since I have started to use Delta exclusively, I have found I am not fixing faucets anymore. The only ones I had to fix before replacing were Price Phister and Moen. Pardon any spelling error. I had one PP that would go through a valve stem in a matter of months.

Price does play a very important role.
With faucets, you get what you pay for!

Note: I have no experience with the newer touch type faucets.

Last edited:
I have a Kohler. I did have to get a fitting for the portable Dw (which I love.. extra counter space), no logical space for a Built-in w/out gutting the Kitchen. FWIW, three friends have portable DWs, kitchen footprint won't handle a built-in.
I would have to redesign and gut my kitchen to install a built in dishwasher. That's not quite true. I could put one to the right of my sink, but then I would have no under the counter storage at all. 32" of under counter storage is measly enough.

CWS has seen my kitchen. She has seen that my prep space is the top of the portable dishwasher. There isn't anywhere else to do it. The counters have too much stuff on them and all of it is convenient to have on the counters.

I can give some advice on this as I am responsible for every faucet in our house.
I installed every single one of them and I am the one who must repair them when they decide to start dripping.

Most all faucets today use a plastic removable valve stem. This is the heart and soul of the faucet. The valve is usually found under the arm or knob of the faucet.

Before buying a faucet, look and see how readily available these valves are for the faucet you want to buy! Are there some on the shelf at the box store? How much do they cost?
They do wear out and they are plastic.

IMO Delta has the best made faucet and has the best availability for parts. They also stand behind the product as mentioned above.
Delta did not give me a free part. They sent a brand new faucet when all I needed was a valve.
Since I have started to use Delta exclusively, I have found I am not fixing faucets anymore. The only ones I had to fix before replacing were Price Phister and Moen. Pardon any spelling error. I had one PP that would go through a valve stem in a matter of months.

Price does play a very important role.
With faucets, you get what you pay for!

Note: I have no experience with the newer touch type faucets.
Thank you very much for this info. I'm copying it to my phone, so it will be handy at the plumbing store. This time we are going to Plumberium. They have been very helpful and really seem to know their stuff. I learned my lesson about cheap faucets.

Delta has lifetime guarantee, few month ago I had to replace the hose on the faucet that I bought when we were still in the old house, but never had chance to dreplace it because we unexpectedly found this house. That was back in 1997. I called Delta gave them number and sent me new house no question asked.

Last edited:
tl, Pirate is a plumber. I asked him what he would recommend for a replacement. I wanted the top of the line and a reliable brand in the middle. He gave me the name of a foreign one I can't even pronounce. Cost a couple of hundred dollars and made somewhere in Europe. Forget that one. But his recommendation to all his customers is Delta. But DO NOT buy it from Home Depot. They sell the lesser superior quality to HD. If you can go to a plumbing supply place, it is what he recommended. They will know all the ins and out of the company that makes the faucet. Do they replace parts free, pay for return shipping costs, etc.

Pirate told me they never get a call back on Delta products. Maintenance Dept. in this building has learned the hard way. Almost every faucet that was used when this building was first converted to housing, had Kohler. (The lowest bidder) We now have Delta.

A Plumbing Supply store will cost less than your local hardware store or a Big Box like HD or Lowes. And you will get a better quality product. The same quality that they sell to professional plumbing companies. When I first moved into this apartment, it had the minimal amount of safety products in the plumbing area possible. I am very fortunate. I have Spike and Pirate for children who are in the trades. I now have probably the safest bathroom in the whole building. And the most attractive faucets and shower.

A quick side note. For you parents who still have children who one day will be looking on a business to go into. May I suggest the trades? There is a shortage of trade workers, and as a result the ones in them can command very high paychecks. Spike is a licensed contractor and can do all of the trades. Plumbing, electrical, etc. When the city inspector is overwhelmed with a workload, he will often call Spike to go and inspect a job for him in this part of the city and send him the report. :angel:

We have a couple of Grohe faucets. Nicely styled and also high quality. I bought them online for a LOT less than the local plumbing supply place had them but it was nice to go there and look at them first.

I replaced our old, 35-yr old Kohler kitchen faucet with a Delta a couple of years ago.
I did not like the profile of the old Kohler faucet as the spout seemed rather short for the wide sink (not enough reach). The spout also did not have enough height as it was always a hassle to rinse large pots and pans.
So when I was looking for a new faucet I wanted a semi-gooseneck spout with enough reach to match the width of the sink and I eventually found a reasonably priced Delta faucet with the "right dimensions" at Home Depot.

We installed one of these a while back, and it's worked out great!

Attachments

• Faucet.JPG
    Faucet.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 225
This is the Kohler we have now:

Kloop+Studio+-+Kohler+Mazz+Kitchen+Faucet+1024x1365+a.jpg

I love the sprayer on it. It's aligned so that at the usual working distance the individual streams line up in a line rather than a circle like most.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom