"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-10-2016, 10:19 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Kitchen Faucet recommendations

Our kitchen faucet bit the dust. It might be fixable, but I don't think it is worth it. It wasn't a great faucet to start with. This time I want a very good quality faucet. I remember going to the local big box hardware store and a guy brought in a faucet part. The clerk looked at it and said, "Oh, it's a ______ (can't remember the brand). We'll just replace the part free of charge. No, you don't need the receipt." I want something of that type of quality.

Any recommendations?

Anything I should look for?

I have to be able to hook up my portable dishwasher to it.

Old 01-10-2016, 10:27 PM   #2
Master Chef

Taxi, when we redid our kitchen we got a high end Kohler. We are very happy with it, and when it had a minor problem, they replaced the part free of charge.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:29 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

I have a Moen. They also offer free replacement. Sadly I've had to take advantage of that too often.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:49 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

We replaced our faucet with Kohler when we bought our house. Never had a problem with it and I wouldn't buy anything else.
Old 01-11-2016, 12:49 AM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Our kitchen faucet bit the dust. It might be fixable, but I don't think it is worth it. It wasn't a great faucet to start with. This time I want a very good quality faucet. I remember going to the local big box hardware store and a guy brought in a faucet part. The clerk looked at it and said, "Oh, it's a ______ (can't remember the brand). We'll just replace the part free of charge. No, you don't need the receipt." I want something of that type of quality.

Any recommendations?

Anything I should look for?

I have to be able to hook up my portable dishwasher to it.
Our old one was a Phister and it gave out in just over a year. I didn't even check to see if it was under any sort of warranty, because I wasn't all that fond of it anyway. The new one is a Kohler and I love it so far (we've had it for a month). I don't think that you could do a dishwasher to it though because the faucet is also a pull out sprayer. Maybe with a different model, but not ours.

I didn't know anyone still used portable dishwashers. My parents had one back in the 1960's or 70's, but that's the last time I saw one. I know the townhome where they lived from 1978 until they passed had a built in.
Old 01-11-2016, 01:06 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Our old one was a Phister and it gave out in just over a year. I didn't even check to see if it was under any sort of warranty, because I wasn't all that fond of it anyway. The new one is a Kohler and I love it so far (we've had it for a month). I don't think that you could do a dishwasher to it though because the faucet is also a pull out sprayer. Maybe with a different model, but not ours.

I didn't know anyone still used portable dishwashers. My parents had one back in the 1960's or 70's, but that's the last time I saw one. I know the townhome where they lived from 1978 until they passed had a built in.
Good Grief!!!
For what reason would you ever say such a thing RP?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:39 AM   #7
Master Chef

Another vote for Kohler. The one we have does not have a separate sprayer; rather, the faucet head detaches from the rest of the neck and base as the spray unit. I really like that function. We've had that faucet for nearly a decade, had to call once for a minor issue (so minor I don't remember what it was), and would buy another Kohler if we needed a new faucet.

The have a very helpful customer call center. If you're considering Kohler, you might want to give them a call to ask what faucets, if any, connect easily to the portable dishwasher that you own.

http://www.ca.kohler.com/general/contact.jsp
Old 01-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post

I have a Kohler. I did have to get a fitting for the portable Dw (which I love.. extra counter space), no logical space for a Built-in w/out gutting the Kitchen. FWIW, three friends have portable DWs, kitchen footprint won't handle a built-in.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:25 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I can give some advice on this as I am responsible for every faucet in our house.
I installed every single one of them and I am the one who must repair them when they decide to start dripping.

Most all faucets today use a plastic removable valve stem. This is the heart and soul of the faucet. The valve is usually found under the arm or knob of the faucet.

Before buying a faucet, look and see how readily available these valves are for the faucet you want to buy! Are there some on the shelf at the box store? How much do they cost?
They do wear out and they are plastic.

IMO Delta has the best made faucet and has the best availability for parts. They also stand behind the product as mentioned above.
Delta did not give me a free part. They sent a brand new faucet when all I needed was a valve.
Since I have started to use Delta exclusively, I have found I am not fixing faucets anymore. The only ones I had to fix before replacing were Price Phister and Moen. Pardon any spelling error. I had one PP that would go through a valve stem in a matter of months.

Price does play a very important role.
With faucets, you get what you pay for!

Note: I have no experience with the newer touch type faucets.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:52 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Good Grief!!!
For what reason would you ever say such a thing RP?
What do you mean? I'm just asking a question. I haven't seen a house with a portable for 40 years. I was curious. Why would you take offense at that?

Tags
kitchen