KitchenAid Mixer Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When it comes to baking, or uses for a mixer, its just the basics for me. Cakes, cookies, bread. Enough for a family, and on occasion a family gathering. My daughter will likely use it more frequently, but still probably for basic needs.

As far as the attachments go, as like many of us, I am intrigued with many kitchen gadgets, so I can see myself getting a bunch to play around with.

But i would prefer to grow into one,( or at least have that option), then get something, and be sorry I didn't get the one the next level up ( I'm pretty good at doing that).

Id rather have a little too much bowl, power, function, than too little or ' just enough'. Yet I don't need this huge mixing vat sitting in my kitchen, that will dwarf any recipe I use to make in it. :)

Being that it is an investment, and a decent sized appliance ( and kinda looks cool and nice too), I will probably find a place to keep it out and available, so the cosmetics/ color will play somewhat of a role.

Its just something Ive waited years to get, and Im looking forward to finally purchasing it.

So fess up. Which model and color did you go for? Inquiring minds want to know.

So fess up. Which model and color did you go for? Inquiring minds want to know.
Still in the decision making mode.
Ive already been to 3 or 4 stores, haven't seen the exact color I wanted. i saw it once at the Newport Food and Wine Festival (last year), when Kitchen Aid had a Demo Booth, but haven't seen the color since. It was in the red family. Problem is, when I go to the stores to look, they have a few colors, but only a sheet paper that shows all the colors available. And its almost impossible to judge the color or how it will look, from a little swatch on a piece of paper. Im in no hurry, want to make sure I get exactly what I ultimately want.

I can't see my self going larger than 5 Qt bowl, I have to look into the power of the machine as Andy suggested. Not sure if the tilted model or the one that brings the bowl up to the beaters makes all that much difference to me .

In between dinner and a show last night ( in Boston), I headed to the Macy's in the theater district and played around with the models they had on display, but my color was no where in site, and even if it was, I wasn't going to jack ass the thing around the city all night and sit with it on my lap during the show :LOL:

Patience, I've waited this long, a few more days / weeks won't kill me ;)

...Not sure if the tilted model or the one that brings the bowl up to the beaters makes all that much difference to me...

Think about where you're going to use it and if there would be an issue with overhead space. If a cabinet or something would prevent you from tilting the head, a bowl lift may be the way to go. However, The lift/tilt option is specific to the size of the mixer you get. so if you get a smaller mixer you MY be limited to the tilt model.

I say, get the largest and the strongest you can afford. I have 2 of them. One is 500 hp, the other is 600 Pro. Love the bigger one.
I say opt for online purchase and have it shipped. With 20% off Bed And Bath coupons it might be the way to go.
I got my big one, 600, from William and Sonoma it was cheaper than anywhere else, because they had a special going. I got it for less money, including shipping, than the 500, that I got on sale with additional coupons from Macy's.

Last edited:
Larry, think about how much real estate your new pretty KA will take up.
Do you have the space to spare? As well, space to stow any attachments?
As to the color that you're looking for that you saw last year at a trade show, why not contact KA directly? Some colors are seasonal too, as well as vendor specific, ie QVC, Amazon, Williams Sonoma, etc.
IMHO, power is the key.
My 6 quart bowl is large, but the 575 watt motor does a great job with stiff dough recipes. I had several cookie recipes as well has breads that I never made twice because it was just so dang thick and wore out my lesser mixer.
Think about that aspect as well... some recipes I never made again because of the denseness ... until DH bought me my KA. How he knew which model I wanted, I don't know. He hasn't got the first clue about anything having to do with the kitchen ;)
Now, the skies the limit for me mow.

I have a Pro 600 and love it. I have been eyeballing the mini lately. I've had it for at least 12 years and use it a few time a week. Never liked the tilt models personally. The 6 has lots of power. Mine is Imperial Gray in color and has a wrinkled finish.
Check out the Kitchen-Aid web site for refurbished models. You can save a lot of money!

Larry, the one I have that I just love is the following attachment;
https://www.amazon.com/New-Metro-De...6124&sr=8-12&keywords=kitchen+aid+attachments

I do a lot of cakes and it saves me from stopping, scrape bowl, stop, scrape bowl. And I find it useful for other foods.

That particular beater has a lot of bad reviews on Amazon. It's acceptable for cake batter, but for heavier batter like cookies, they tend to not hold up, and I wouldn't even attempt to mix bread dough with it. They are made of plastic and just can't take the beating (pun intended ;) ). The KA with a single wiper is coated metal and just about as indestructible as the standard beater.

I bought the following item even before KA came out with theirs. And I loved it.

https://www.amazon.com/SideSwipe-Ki...rd_wg=JORbR&psc=1&refRID=0S0VYX30T1RFBQW25H64

But those little blades became somewhat brittle and started to break off. I had it for more than ten years. So I finally gave up the fight and tossed it. But now I need a new one and even though my original purchase died a valiant death, I am going to get another one of the same. I love the way it handled cookie dough. I could add nuts, chips, etc. and it wouldn't break them. And what I really like about that style is that it leaves the sides clean when it folds in the mixture.

I bought the following item even before KA came out with theirs. And I loved it.

https://www.amazon.com/SideSwipe-Ki...rd_wg=JORbR&psc=1&refRID=0S0VYX30T1RFBQW25H64

But those little blades became somewhat brittle and started to break off. I had it for more than ten years. So I finally gave up the fight and tossed it. But now I need a new one and even though my original purchase died a valiant death, I am going to get another one of the same. I love the way it handled cookie dough. I could add nuts, chips, etc. and it wouldn't break them. And what I really like about that style is that it leaves the sides clean when it folds in the mixture.

Oh, boy, I think I am ready for paddle #4! That looks awesome, Addie. My favourite to this point is the one you showed earlier with the single flanges on each side. Mine isn't KA. #2 TB got me and is the KA version with only one single flange on one side. Of course #1 is the no-flanged model that can't go in the dishwasher and is really useless. I use it mostly for starting bread dough before you need to use the hook.

I have a Pro 600 and love it. I have been eyeballing the mini lately. I've had it for at least 12 years and use it a few time a week. Never liked the tilt models personally. The 6 has lots of power. Mine is Imperial Gray in color and has a wrinkled finish.
Check out the Kitchen-Aid web site for refurbished models. You can save a lot of money!

Ya, I totally agree about not going back once you use a Pro 600. We used the tilts in school and they were okay, but when my family surprised me with the Pro600 I was in love! I can make 12 dozen chocolate chip cookies in less than half an hour from start to finish thanks to my KA and convection oven. And they are awesome cookies, too! :chef:

So I'm finally going to splurge and get myself a Kitchen Aid Mixer, which I've wanted for years.

Clearly there are different Colors and Bowl sizes. But my real question is ( other than cost), what are the differences between the different Series they have ( Architect, Artisan,Classic, Professional..). The last thing I want to do is invest in one, when I should have gotten the other. I have a knack of buying something, then wishing I got the other one, so I'm trying to break that streak this time around.

As I mentioned, the color and bowl size decision, I think I can handle.
Without sounding snobby, the cost isn't really the deciding factor.
I do like some of the attachments they come with, but are they universal ( do they work with all the different Series of mixers?

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions that may help me minimize my choices , that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Larry
In the world of mixers, like freezers, in my experience you always need a bigger one than you've just bought!

I have a Kenwood but I love the Kitchen Aids that I've seen on TV - Lovely colours and on one that I saw on Food Network - pretty flowers! (Probably not your choice though:))

That particular beater has a lot of bad reviews on Amazon. It's acceptable for cake batter, but for heavier batter like cookies, they tend to not hold up, and I wouldn't even attempt to mix bread dough with it. They are made of plastic and just can't take the beating (pun intended ;) ). The KA with a single wiper is coated metal and just about as indestructible as the standard beater.

It is not meant for heavy dough. Heavy dough doesn't even needs it.

It is not meant for heavy dough. Heavy dough doesn't even needs it.

Exactly what I was saying. They are lighter duty, and as such it's a risk using it on a heavy duty machine. Most of the complaints are from them just breaking. I want a metal beater on my Pro 600, no plastic. The 600 is designed to be able to make large batches of dough and batter, while the the plastic beater is a small job tool.

The way that the planetary gearing works, the KA metal beater with a single wiper will cover the entire bowl. Works great for me.

Last edited:
Looks like Macy's is having some decent prices on some Kitchen Aid stand mixers this weekend. Sale prices (which are not always very good at Macy's), but additional discounts and rebates (depending on model).

t I love the Kitchen Aids that I've seen on TV - Lovely colours and on one that I saw on Food Network - pretty flowers! (Probably not your choice though:))

Pretty sure they have them painted by someone. I believe Alton Brown had one with flames on it.

Exactly what I was saying. They are lighter duty, and as such it's a risk using it on a heavy duty machine.

I don't think you're saying quite the same thing. You use the dough hook for heavy doughs, like breads, and this lighter-duty paddle with scraper on lighter doughs, like cookies and cakes, or frosting. The right tool for the right job ;)

Pretty sure they have them painted by someone. I believe Alton Brown had one with flames on it.

I love Alton's flames!
I was thinking the flowered ones (can't remember what TV Chef that was) had theirs decaled, as they do on there `fridges and dishwashers
UUHHHHHH!!! :idea: I think that would look GREAT on my new GE Slate `fridge :w00t: WHOOT WHOOT!!

I don't think you're saying quite the same thing. You use the dough hook for heavy doughs, like breads, and this lighter-duty paddle with scraper on lighter doughs, like cookies and cakes, or frosting. The right tool for the right job. ;)

Yeah, what she said!

I don't think you're saying quite the same thing. You use the dough hook for heavy doughs, like breads, and this lighter-duty paddle with scraper on lighter doughs, like cookies and cakes, or frosting. The right tool for the right job ;)

One review I read said it broke on cookie dough. All I'm saying is the KA brand is about 3 times the price, but it's at least that many times tougher. If I used my mixer as much as some of you do, there wouldn't even be any question. I use mine less than once a month and I still sprung for quality. To each his own though.

One review I read said it broke on cookie dough. All I'm saying is the KA brand is about 3 times the price, but it's at least that many times tougher. If I used my mixer as much as some of you do, there wouldn't even be any question. I use mine less than once a month and I still sprung for quality. To each his own though.

RP, I got my KA Classic at am auction, still sealed in the original carton. (For $35.00) I had been using a hand mixer for years. With my KA I got the regular whisk, dough hook and I forget what else. For years I was unaware that there were other attachments. Then while walking through Sears in their Kitchen Department, I saw the different attachments. I bought for myself for $25 each, the pasta maker and food/meat grinder. That was my introduction to attachments for the KA. Then one day I came across the Side Swipe paddle. All I had to read was "no more stop and scrape." I was in love and before you knew it, I owned it. After more than ten years of use making cakes and cookies along with other foods, it finally started to show its age.

I didn't use it for making bread dough. I used it for making cakes and cookies. I had the original KA paddle for mixing bread dough along with the hook. The Metro Des is not meant for heavy duty doughs. You can mix meatloaf meats with it, but not bread dough. If I were going to make cookies today, I would probably use that paddle, but with caution. But I rather have my Side Swipe one instead.

As good as KA is, there are other products out there than when used properly and according to direction, that are less expensive and just as good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom