"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2017, 12:53 PM   #71
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
My advice would be to go to a real brick and mortar store and look them all over, concentrating on bowl size and horsepower. I prefer the tilt head to the lift bowl because the tilt head gives you more clearance when putting stuff into the bowl, but that is a personal preference. Once you decide you have found the Kitchen Aid you can't live without, write down the price, then see if you can find it cheaper on line.
You're not likely to see a 6000 HD in a brick and mortar store. They were made originally for Costco or Sams (not sure which one) as an offering for their food service customers and the model was limited in number.
My guess is most people in the market for a KA have been pining over them for a while now and have been to the stores to see them. Basically it's down to tilt head vs bowl lift (and I agree I like the tilt head better but it doesn't come in the power motor I need), bowl size and motor power. Other than that they are pretty much all the same although I will say my 6000HD is much taller than my Artisian but fits under my cabinets on the counter just fine.

Old 07-26-2017, 01:53 PM   #72
Senior Cook

A great thing about these mixers is that they are easy to repair. You start by taking off that silver band around them and the rest is obvious. Parts are easily available and inexpensive. A very common thing is when the motor is running and the mixer gears are not turning. There is a plastic shear-off gear in there, designed to fail under too heavy a load. It's an inexpensive part and an easy repair.

Mine, a Pro model with the lift up bowl, started to wobble under heavy loads. I fixed it by taking it apart and installing lock washers where the head bolts to the stand.

Another common problem is grease from the gear box leaking out (it's food grade grease, btw). This is caused by inactivity. The grease separates when it is not mixed up by the action of the gears. So, if you have one, run it once a month or so for 5 minutes and that will keep the grease mixed up.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:02 PM   #73
Head Chef

Love my 600 Pro. Try going to the Kitchen-aid web site and look for a referbished one. They are like new. I refered a friend and she got the Pro 600 and was very happy with it.

Tags
kitchen, mixer, kitchenaid