KitchenAid mixers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Candyl317

Assistant Cook
Hi all! I am new on here, from Michigan. I have been bugging my hubby for 2 years now to buy me a KitchenAid mixer! Are they all they are cracked up to be??? If we spend 300 ish on a mixer, I want to be sure it's worth it! Any one own one? Thanks all!:chef:

Hi, Candy. Welcome to DC. You will get plenty of answers to your question.

I've had a KA mixer for about 25 years and it's been one of the best appliance purchases I ever made. It handles anything I throw at it and performs today as if it was brand new. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Hi Candy - and welcome to DC!

I've moved your post to our Appliances section of our Cookware and Accessories Forum where we discuss these things.

We've had many discussions about KitchenAid mixers ... if you want to browse around and read some of the discussions/debates ...

But, generally, yeah - a KA mixer is worth it. Just make sure the model you get will handle what you want to do.

I've got one and love it!

Hi all! I am new on here, from Michigan. I have been bugging my hubby for 2 years now to buy me a KitchenAid mixer! Are they all they are cracked up to be??? If we spend 300 ish on a mixer, I want to be sure it's worth it! Any one own one? Thanks all!:chef:
:)Wow,I just upgraded to a professional size from my screw the bowl in the bottom on one, I got it at Amazon.com it is a refurbished looks brand new but the price was unbeatable its a RKG25 for $149.99 plus free shipping it weighs 30 pounds.Those are gone now but the have a bunch more for about $199.00.Go to Amazon and type in kitchen aid mixers read the reviews on the factory reconditioned ones as they are the ones with the biggest savings.You wont be dissapointed.I just gave my old one to a girl (well she is about 25) that had nothing more than a hand held mixer and she is thrilled its 19 years old but in perfect condition.So if you want to save $100.00 plus go to Amazon they are great with returns or making things right. Make sure to get one from Amazon as opposed from another seller because they are the ones that offer free shipping.

:)Forgot they are indeed worth the extra money just be sure to read the manual and use it as they suggest, a way too heavy bread dough for the mixer will kill it so read intructions in the bigger ones you can usually make bread with 6 more cups of all purpose or 2 more cups of whole what flour than the smaller ones.
Hang on because we have a bunch of KA owners with much more knowledge than me.

Last edited:
I love my KA - got it a few years ago after coveting one for years. Even tho mine is fab AND I'm not much of a baker, I do wish I got a bigger one (you should easily be able to get a good one for $300.00). At Christmas time I would love to mix up triple batches of cookie dough at once, but it stresses out the motor. I know, I tried! Can't complain as the price was right - free (loooong story, in another post somewhere here!).

I have the had the 6 quart KA for about 9 years now I think. It's fantastic. I would highly recommend that you spend the money on the 6qt. It's so much easier to make things. When I make cookies I never worry about flour going everywhere. I threw the stupid shield away that came with it..

I bought this way before I ever met my wife, and I always tell her that if it broke this morning, I would go out and buy another one today without question.

-Brad

Wow! I can't wait to get one now! They seem to last forever! I have to have an empire red though, all of my kitchen appliances and accessories are red!!! They have a great line of empire red products, and my Xmas list is full of um! Thanks all!

YES! They are great! I've used one many times, but I haven't taken the plunge and gotten my own. I have been seeing the 475 watt professional ones for $200 on eBay brand new. For most people the Artesian will do everything you want it to, and it comes in many colors.

I have 2 of the ka and I would not part with either one they are great for doing most any job you have in a kitchen, I bought one of mine at a garge sale where the guy holding the sale was mad at his girlfriend and sole it to me for $$ 40.00 I paid and ran before she got back chuckel grin smile..I used to run at least 50 pounds of cabbage through mine when I owned my restaurant ( a week) they are a very fine tool
bite the bullit and go buy one so you can make sausage, all kinds of bread , pizza dough
cookies all till your little hearts content

Candyl317,
I own a KA Pro5Plus Stand mixer (KV25GOX), it handles everything and it is red LOL. Got it at Kohl's on clearance (no box or manual, got the manual on line from KA) for $150.
This is a bowl-lift mixer type, different from a tilt-head (KA Artesian model) and IMO a better design. You can store/use it under cabinets since it doesn't require additional space above.

I love my KA mixer, it has pride of place in my kitchen and I use it often... However over time I have found that lots of what I was doing in the mixer I actually enjoyed more doing it 'by hand', and slowing down to enjoy the process without the noise.

Still if it broke down I would replace it that afternoon.

G.

justplainbill,
I wasn't aware of this -also, someone in DC said that his KA mixer broke down when grinding meat-, so far I never encounter any issue with any of these tasks... I remember making a ton of dough at least 4/5 times.
heavyG,
I agree with you 100%. I like the mixer, but I prefer to do things by hand whenever I can.

justplainbill,
I wasn't aware of this -also, someone in DC said that his KA mixer broke down when grinding meat-, so far I never encounter any issue with any of these tasks... I remember making a ton of dough at least 4/5 times.
heavyG,
I agree with you 100%. I like the mixer, but I prefer to do things by hand whenever I can.
The $400 six quart Professional 600 Series is more robust; It's rated a 14 cups (3.5 lbs?) of flour. To insure proper consistency, some people prefer to complete initial kneading by hand; which means they wind up with a soiled counter as well as a machine to clean.

I have had mine for three years and I really love it. I never had any confidence to do scratch baking until I got my KA. Every cake is a huge success, and nothing builds your confidence like success. It is certainly worth the expense.

I just got the KA 6qt. Pro600 a couple of weeks ago (brand new from Amazon for $270 with free ship but only a choice of 2 colors). I made quite a bit of bread last week and it handled the dough very well. However, I didn't make whole wheat and the manual said to make smaller batches with "heavier" doughs. Also, made some angel food cakes that were light and fluffy as air! This is my first stand mixer but after this last week, I'm a believer.

Last edited:
Fisher's Mom,
Check out Kitchen Aid's website. They are offering a $50 rebate on mixers until the end of the year, perhaps you qualify.
I was also looking at Consumers Report and KA mixers had high ratings, I guess they are good products.

Fisher's Mom,
Check out Kitchen Aid's website. They are offering a $50 rebate on mixers until the end of the year, perhaps you qualify.
I was also looking at Consumers Report and KA mixers had high ratings, I guess they are good products.
Thanks for the head's up, wysiwyg! Wouldn't that be excellent?

Back
Top Bottom