"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
Honey Badger

Kitchenaid Pasta Attachments

Looking to buy the pasta maker attachments. My model is the 5qt tilt head.
Does anyone here have one? Not sure if it would be best I've seen several type kits and individual attachments. Looking into the counter top models to.
Anything in particular that I need to know? Pasta cookbooks to. I've never made my own.

Thank you

Munky.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Hey, I found the 3 head set in a thrift store here in Ojai for $5, but haven't used 'em yet. Got the sheeter, fettucini and linguini fine cutters. They look like they'd be easier than my hand crank Atlas.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I think you're better off keeping the attachments off of your KA. If you aren't going to be making pasta often, get a hand cranked machine like an Imperia or a Marcato....or just do it by hand, it isn't that hard. If you plan to do it more often, then a motor drive might be in order. I know Imperia has one.

The other exception is if you want pasta's that can't be cut and must be extruded, macaroni, small rigatoni and the like. If you want to make those styles of pasta, an attachment for a meat grinder or the KA might be worthwhile.

The absolute best pasta book I know of is Bugialli on Pasta. It doesn't have many recipes for the actual noodles (they're really mindlesssly simple), but it does have directions for achieving the different shapes of pasta. Mostly, it's recipes that use pasta.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I don't have a problem with wearing out or breaking my mixer with attachments, I'm running an older Hobart N-50. I have that macaroni extruder attachment for the meat grinder as well. It's OK for white pasta, but not so much for whole wheat or spinach.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I wasn't even thinking of the wear and tear on the machine. The thing I don't like about the pasta attachments for the mixer is the way the mixer is configured, the power takeoff is just up so high. Plus the attachments I see advertised for the KA are more expensive than dedicated tools.

Most of the time when I make pasta, I just bring the machine into the living room on a TV tray, sit on the sofa, and make pasta while I listen to the television.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
Sous Chef

True expensive. Not everybody is gonna find 'em in a thrift store. As for the height of the pto, I won't know if it's inconvenient until I try it. It seems OK when I use the meat grinder and sausage stuffer.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
Honey Badger

The KA attachments are priced out of my league. If it was something that would be used often, cooking for large crowds I could see it. Half the fun of doing something is actually doing it. The KA would ruin all the fun for me. With a manual model I won't have to worry should the power go out. That's an optional feature.

This is the model I'm leaning towards. Still kind of iffy. It's the "made of steel and chrome plated" Can I expect to have the chrome chip off eventually?

Best Manual Pasta Machine: Imperia SP 150

Amazon has a sweet deal, I don't need the rack. The dehydrator can dry the pasta for me :) Looks good anyways.
Amazon.com: Imperia iPasta Pasta Factory Gift Box: Home & Garden

Munky.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I have a Marcato Atlas machine that's chrome over steel as well. It's had well over two decades of service (once every other month or so), and still looks like the day it was bought. So, don't let the construction bother you.

That set you linked looks okay and Imperia has a good reputation. I don't think I'd ever use the ravioli attachment. For ravioli, the trays are just too easy. Large Ravioli Mold.

Before investing in any machine, you might want to try making some by hand just to see if you like it. Pick a recipe (here's an easy one, 5 eggs, 1 pound of flour...that's it!). Roll the dough out, get it nice and thin, flour it well, top and bottom, roll it up, then slice it from the end...very easy to make fettucini or tagliatelle that way.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
Honey Badger

Update

Macy's made the decision for me. Thursday was my B-day my husband saw the boxed attachments and bought them for me. The manual units are still appealing I'd still love to have a tabletop unit. I just couldn't find a suitable one. The KA has 3 rollers, basic, spaghetti and thick noodle. It's not just for pasta, can't wait to try pizza dough, egg roll wrappers with it. If all else fails it can be used for my polymer clays :) Not a word to my husband!.

Other units either had a lot of fluffy things that weren't necessary, or had the standard motor speed, s.l.o.w.! The KA lets you decide at what speed to feed the dough through . I'm ok with that :)

I'll be trying your recipe out today JamesS. Thank you for all the help.

Munky.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:37 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Congratulations and happy belated birthday! Let us know what you think of the KA attachments.