KitchenAid Pro 5 plus mixer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
My dear hubby just got me this for an early bday present -

I'm looking forward to using it, and I know there are various attachments that I can buy seperately. Which ones do I want and which do I want to stay away from?

Any other words of wisdom would be so appreciated!

Thanks!

The plastic meat grinder cracks, I would go with the cast aluminum vintage one.

I would not buy the plastic pasta disks. Most people think they are worthless, but like the stainless steel pasta roller.

This is a good start.

Eventually, the plastic meat grinder cracks, but that takes a lot of years in my case.

What a good hubby! Mine got me the same thing for our wedding gift. People were horrified that he got me a mixer ("how unromantic!" etc.) but I couldn't have been happier.

I have the shredder/slicers--they work very well and clean up easily. I'd recommend them. They're great for large shredding/slicing jobs like hashbrowns, carrot cake, etc. Biggest problem for me is remembering how to attach them since I don't use them all that often! :oops:

I'm really excited to get the ice cream maker attachment for Christmas (are you listening, Santa?). It has a 2 qt capacity, which is good compared to many others I've looked at that are 1-1.5 qt. You can find it on www.chefscatalog.com for $79.99. I've seen it elsewhere for $99.99.

Enjoy your new mixer and happy early birthday!

Jkath...you will want the slicer shredder for sure....I also think the pasta roller or the extruder will be high on your list....one makes extruded pasta, the other sheet pasta. I can't justify the grain mill but almost everything else will eventually be in my home. Pst 8)

jkath, you are one lucky woman. I have limited storage/counter space, so probably will never have one of those. I am hoping for a Le Creuset dutch oven. :) :)

The reason I did not recommend the rotary slicing attachment was - not that it is not good, it is.

But if you have a good food processor with all the slicing disks, you will not need the slicing attachment for your Kitchenaid mixer. I assume that storage space is an issue in every kitchen.

Besides, having the best food processor and mixer you can afford is having the best of all possible worlds in my opinion. Combine these two with a great blender, and you have what I call.....the holy trinity of kitchen equipment. Each serves a different purpose without overlapping much, but every culinary need is met with excellence.

With this in mind, I would carefully select Kitchenaid attachments to ensure you are not overlapping what your food processor and your blender will do better. Only you know what kind of cooking you do.

You guys are wonderful!

The reason I wanted to know about attachments, is that my mil never knows what to get me for birthdays or Christmas. I always tell her that I'm an adult, so she needn't buy anything, or perhaps she can just take us out for coffee and dessert if she really wants to do something (that way, she can have fun too)
She still insists, so I thought hubby could hint about attachments. ;)
Lyndalou - as for counter space, I have none, but am willing to give it up for this beauty!

Congrats jkath.............I just one an auction for a Hobart Kitchen Aid Mixer K45 SS. Choclate recommended the Hobart brand. I'm just as excited as you are. I hope you don't mind I'd like to ask Choclate a few questions in your post.

Choclate............the one I won on Ebay is item # 4336045093. I'd like to buy an extra bowl as you recommended. Will the current bowls being made work on this older Hobart model? Will all the newer kitchenaid attachments work with my mixer? Thanks!!

Ah, jkath, SizzlininIn and Chocolate are talking about a good point here--an extra bowl. At first I didn't think it would be necessary, but it actually would come in very handy. Plus, you can buy them with lids, which would be great for refrigeration. They're not all that cheep ($50 maybe) so that would make a really nice gift.

The other accessory that I have that I didn't think would make a difference but does is a cover for my mixer. It has a pocket in the side where I keep the manual and since I keep my mixer on the counter it keeps it from getting dusty, etc. I love it! I think it was about $25.

Hey Sizzlinin. Ok. I saw the mixer. It is in beautiful condition.

Edited to say: I meant to say congratulations.....I was thinking it, but what is in my mind doesn't always show up on the screen!

Yes, I bet they still have bowls to match this mixer.

I would go to: KAC-Conversations@Whirlpool.com and ask them where to purchase them. Make sure you have the model # ready for them.

Thanks Choclate as soon as I get it I will contact them. But the 4.5 bowls that Kitchenaid makes today won't fit right? Or the 4.5 attachments made by Kitchenaid today won't fit either?

PAbaker........i couldn't begin to hide this beauty ;) I love my vintage appliance out in fullview so I can admire them even when they aren't in use.

Audeo........thanks!

If they are 4 1/2 qt bowls, and attachments for 4 1/2 qt bowls, I don't think you will have any problems.

I just said to contact the company with the model number just to make sure. I want you happy!

I love my KA - but I sure wasted money on some of the attachments. I've had mine for about 2 years now and this is what I've learned (aka: my opinion).

Trick one is to shop around for what you want/need .... www.kitchenaid.com is the most expensive place to buy anything (except they may be the only source for some things and sometimes will match the prices or other on-line sources on the mixers). www.chefscatalog.com has some good deals, but I have found www.cooking.com to generally be the best place for the lowest prices.

I got the accessory pack that has the food grinder, slicer/shredder, and fruit/vegetable strainer. True, the food grinder is plastic and may/probably will eventually crack, and with a good food processor with 4 slicer/shredder disks you can do the same thing, and as for the fruit/vege strainer either a hand crank food mill or a strainer and a wooden spoon will do the same job - but, hey - that's no fun!

I do about 5-lbs of meat in the grinder each week - no cracks yet. But, I don't put the Godzilla twist on the retaining ring when I assemble it ... and have never had to use the wrench to take it apart. I also got the sausage stuffer attachment to go with it and make about 5-lbs of sausage each month. I usually save about $1/lb making my own sausage ... but if I only break even at least it is seasoned the way I want it, and I can make some off the wall combos.

The slicer/shredder I love for large batch jobs. I like it better than a food processer because I don't have to keep stopping and taking the FP apart to dump the bowl when it gets full ... my only limit is how big a bowl I put under the spout.

I must admit that I have never used the strainer ... I generally reach for a strainer and a wooden spoon. But, this year I'm going to try using it when I make peach and apricot preserves for Christmas.

As far as the pasta maker (extrusion die) set that works with the food grinder - it's a waste of money as far as I am concerned - the only dough it will handle is a soft egg pasta dough. And, it's kinda funky to work with because the dough is so soft.

I also got the pasta roller/cutter set - not bad, I like it, but I would go a different way if I had it to do over again. You get 3 attachments - the roller and 2 cutters (Fettuccine and Linguine). KA has now come out with a ravioli attachment (another $125). But, that's it. If I had it to do over again - I would buy an Imperia 150 with the electric motor (gives you the roller and 2 cutters with an electric motor for the same price as the KA attachments) plus you can by additional cutters for $15 for single (1 size) cutters, $25 for double (2 size) cutters. In other words, for about the price of the KA pasta roller, 2 cutters, and a ravioli stuffer - you can get a roller, electric motor, 10 cutters, and a ravioli stuffer. Best prices I have found for this are at www.pastamakers.us

Humm ... guess I have everything but the gain mill (can't justify the cost), the citrus juicer (don't use one that much and already have a good hand model), can opener (can't see having to drage the machine out to open a can when I have two good ones already), the water jacket is WAY over priced (got a plastic tub at the dollar store that works just great and was $65 cheaper) ... and heven't seen a need for the food tray (you can only feed just so much down the feed shute at one time anyway).

I think the extra bowl is an excellent idea.

I, too, have VERY limited space ... I have virtually no counter space and had to get a 3-shelf rolling cart to hold my KA - which gives me storage space for the attachments and 6 6-qt square containers.

Wow! Michael, I'd like to order some sausage and some peach preserves, please.
(PS - Happy early Birthday)

Thanks so much for the info!
I'll be printing out my lists of needs/wants/etc soon.

One really nice thing about a couple of the attachments:
For any of you that have a KOHL'S store nearby, they sell
some kitchenaid stuff. They have an appliance/accessory sale
about once a month, and they send coupons in the mail,
anywhere from 10% to 30% off.

Back
Top Bottom