"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-19-2008, 07:58 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
My DH's uncle makes bread constantly with his, he has burned thru 2-3 of them, but KA has always replaced them free of charge.

I always finish kneading by hand with mine. I just cant tell if its right by sight and poking it.

Maybe I just have a thing for dough? :)

Old 03-19-2008, 08:23 PM   #12
Executive Chef

At times, after kneading the dough in my K'Aid, and after letting it rise the first time, I usually punch it down and knead it again with the machine.

This is good especially when making Parkerhouse Rolls. But yes, your machine IS supposed to be able to mix the specified amount of dough that it can accommodate in the work bowl.

Luckily though, I've never burned out a K'Aid Stand Mixer.

Old 03-20-2008, 10:50 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Thanks for the input.

First, about showing the machine no mercy, I can't do that. Part of my 'pathology' is I like machinery (more than people), but that's another story. Not to say anyone has advocated womping the mixer, What I have found in general is a difference between working and beating, a machine can be worked hard for a long time but does not take getting beat on.

Another thing is, abuse it now and even if the mixer is used for easy duty later the damage is done. It's life is substantially shortened.

Far as capacity, checking manuals and web sites, the KA site and the box state this machine is a 12 cup flour capacity in their Flour Power ratings. The site states this is a 2 batch, 6 one pound loaf machine.

This is where it gets strange. The KA manual has a 2 loaf batch of white bread as 5~6 cups AP flour and a total of 2 cups fluids. !OY?! That's not even a 50/50 mix, would give more a batter than a dough! Thats a stiff yeast gathering for sourdough mix, not a bread dough!

But then there is the KA Herb Garlic Baguette recipe. 3 1/4 ~ 3 1/2 cups AP, which is ~ 1 pound of flour, and 1 cup total fluids per batch. This was the maiden flight of this mixer, blew the bowl right off the mixer! Geez, think their recipe is a bit stiff?

I went with Alton Browns 'Perfect Loaf' ratio of 10W/16F, and doubled it to make a batch (20W and 32F).

Right about now I'm thinking my F/W ratio is a bit pooched, but then if it is out of line it isn't out of line by much.

Other things to be written here but Darn, gotta go do something. Out of time.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:08 AM   #14
Sous Chef

And the phone just rang.

I called KA about this Tuesday (or was it Monday?)

My replacement mixer has been delivered to Wifes work.

Outstanding!
Old 03-20-2008, 11:12 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Good deal Wart!
They really do have excellent customer service.(in my experience anyway.)
Old 03-20-2008, 12:51 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
Far as capacity, checking manuals and web sites, the KA site and the box state this machine is a 12 cup flour capacity in their Flour Power ratings. The site states this is a 2 batch, 6 one pound loaf machine.

This is where it gets strange. The KA manual has a 2 loaf batch of white bread as 5~6 cups AP flour and a total of 2 cups fluids. !OY?! That's not even a 50/50 mix, would give more a batter than a dough! Thats a stiff yeast gathering for sourdough mix, not a bread dough!

But then there is the KA Herb Garlic Baguette recipe. 3 1/4 ~ 3 1/2 cups AP, which is ~ 1 pound of flour, and 1 cup total fluids per batch. This was the maiden flight of this mixer, blew the bowl right off the mixer! Geez, think their recipe is a bit stiff?

I went with Alton Browns 'Perfect Loaf' ratio of 10W/16F, and doubled it to make a batch (20W and 32F).

Right about now I'm thinking my F/W ratio is a bit pooched, but then if it is out of line it isn't out of line by much.

Other things to be written here but Darn, gotta go do something. Out of time.
I haven't used the recipes that came with my KA. I just use the same recipe that I used in my bread machine for white bread but I double it. It calls for 6 cups bread flour and 1 3/4 cups water and 4 tbls butter. That works fine in my machine - the 600 watt 6qt model. The manual says it will take 14 cups of flour (as long as it's not whole wheat) but I haven't tested that. HTH
Old 03-20-2008, 01:17 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post
And the phone just rang.

I called KA about this Tuesday (or was it Monday?)

My replacement mixer has been delivered to Wifes work.

Outstanding!

I hope that the new one (replacement) works out better for you. Good luck!
Old 03-20-2008, 08:27 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Thanks, Folks.

I compared gear Lash.

The new machine has very little free play in the output shaft, applying slight twisting force on the output shaft turns the accessory output, then all movement by finger pressure stops. I'm assuming this is because all lash is removed and I'm now trying to turn the motor.

The old machine has very little free play in the output shaft, applying slight twisting force on the output shaft starts turning the accessory drive with just the slightest bit of lag, the accessory drive turns just a bit then motion stops. THEN more twisting by finger and the whole bottom output shaft housing rotates but the accessory drive does not move.

I started writing this over an hour ago, got the thought of looking for a gear diagram. I FOUND THIS and if this mixer is built the same the planetary slopping back and forth is not good.

I ran the mixer to see if it were still making noise. Oh Yeah. Sort of the wirrr of a dry bearing with a repetitive tick tick that's more periodic than the rotation of the planetary but not as often as the spinning of the output shaft.

Boy, this thing is making some noises, I should try making a recording.

Seems as though this machine is coming apart from top to bottom.

DARN I want to take this apart and see whats going on .... I bet KA wouldn't have a sense of humor about it though.

I think the noise I heard the first time I ran the machine has come back to destroy it.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:28 PM   #19
Executive Chef

So sorry to hear that you are STILL having problems - even with the new machine!

And it's even more heartbreaking to learn that you can't return it to the place of purchase for a refund.

I know that this might sound weird or dumb, but maybe you might want to look into getting the Eletrolux Assistant DLX-2000. It may cost more, but it's well worth it and it has a proven track record.

If interested, go here; Electrolux Mixer Magic Mill DLX Mixers Kitchen Assistent Assistant Stand Mixer Electroluxe Mixers Best Kitchen Mixer .
Old 03-21-2008, 12:30 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
So the new machine is making noise too? DH got me the 6-quart pro when it was introduced many years ago. It was like a freight train on the counter, and after many conversations with KA and the vendor, we opted to return it and replaced with the copper 4.5 quart. Boy do I wish I had a copper 6 quart (recently seen at WS for $899!).

I have since been advised that the 6 quart pro actually quiets down some when the motor is taxed, and I apparently wasn't working it hard enough.

I can't recall specifics, but I do remember something about realigning the planetary action movement and the bowl on the 4.5 quart I ended up with. Cannot find my manual just now, but I wonder if that was part of your problem with the flexing you noticed earlier?