KitchenAid Q, Overloading?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, no, the Old machines noise.

I guess I didn't write that part very well.

When I used the food grinder attachment on my K-5SSWH Stand Mixer, I thought for sure that the machine was a goner!

I was truly amazed to find out that the machine had rebounded nicely and survived the onslaught! It's back up to speed and it's not acting up any more!!

The newer KA mixers are made by Whirlpool, not Hobart anymore. Most have some nylon gears now that won't bear the torque of kneading bread dough on a regular basis. Too bad. I have been using an ancient K45 with no problems...2 loaf batches. I recently picked up a used but nice Hobart N50 at the local thrift store...$7+tax. Just got the bowl and agitators for it today. I'll see if it's as good as I've heard.

WOW!!

That's a steal!! Goes for about $2,000.00 at Williams Sonoma!

K'Aid when it was owned by Hobart, even put nylon gears in their mixers back then. For years, I thought that my K-45SS Stand Mixer had metals gears. Wasn't too long ago that I found out that it has NYLON gears.

But it never acted up at all and it's still going strong after 22 years! The K5SSHW also has nylon gears. And trust me, you'll have to really abuse the machines to make them wimp out.

K'Aid says that if ever an undue strain is placed on the machines, the gears would go first - saving the motor so that the added expense of replacing it won't outweigh the cost of getting a new transmisson for the machines.

I stand...informed. Learn something new every day. The N50, btw, rocks. And I found a new food grinder in the downtown (Ventura) thrift for $2.95. I'm thinking a bread and sausage weekend...

Your N50 mixer is truly a powerful machine isn't it?

And since it has a #10 hub like a KA, you should have no trouble with using a meat grinder, grain mill, and other attachments that a KA sometimes wimp out on.

And best of all, you can knead your bread without worrying about overload.

Your N50 mixer is truly a powerful machine isn't it?

And since it has a #10 hub like a KA, you should have no trouble with using a meat grinder, grain mill, and other attachments that a KA sometimes wimp out on.

And best of all, you can knead your bread without worrying about overload.

My KA is not that old, maybe 5-6 years ... how do I know whehter it has a #10 hub and whether it will whimp out using the grinder? I always used my step-mom's original 1975 beast, which of course has never broken down or had a hiccup to this very day. I am pining for the 6-quart again, but the last one I tried was like having a freight train roll through the kitchen at lightening speed. Even the floor shook.

All KA mixers have #10 attachment hubs.

Now, whether your particular newer model will wimp out using the grinder........it is a dice roll.

I've been deathly afraid to use ANY accessory that the attachment hub is supposed to accomodate since that nearly ill-fated predicament with the grinder attachment, so I just went on and bought separate appliances that run off their own eletrical power.

The food processor is your K'Aid Stand Mixer's "right-hand man" in the kitchen - replacing the bulk of the things that you'd use the mixer's power hub for. It would almost cost a fortune to get all those attachments, and then you'd have to try to store them all when not in use.

And since I have no cabinet space in this apt, that adds to the storage problems.

I don't have any problem with any of the KA hub attachments.

But then, I use them on my KA model G mixers.....

It may very well be true what Gadzooks said about the newr machines.

That they are probably not as reliable as they were when Hobart had the division, though Whirlpool would say that isn't true.

Still, most of them ARE excellent for beating, mixing, whipping and for making dough for bread!

Whirlpool though, has become the small and major appliance king, since having brought up just about every major apppliance co that was about to go under. For generations, Maytag was the king of the washer / dryer co's, Now Whirlpool has them as well.

Last edited:
As a follow up, the new/ replacement mixer is starting to make a Tic - Tic - Tic noise. Sounds like it's coming from the motor.

As a follow up, the new/ replacement mixer is starting to make a Tic - Tic - Tic noise. Sounds like it's coming from the motor.

If it IS the motor that's making the noise, then you might just as well go buy a new one (mixer), because having a new motor put in would pretty much cost you the same amount of money, if not more.

And if the cost to replace the motor doesn't break the bank, the charge for the labor work most certainly will!

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear your mixer is disappointing you. My thrift store N50 has already made some excellent sweet Italian sausage. It doesn't even blink. I did splurge on an old metal food grinder attachment, but...my old K45 runs the grinder OK, too. Probably won't tow three water-skiers like the N50, though. And I have a food processor as well. One food processor takes up far less space than ALL the possible attachments for the mixer, and I really use them for very different cooking tasks. I do know a nice little K45 that's gonna be looking for a new home...

I'm sorry to hear your mixer is disappointing you. My thrift store N50 has already made some excellent sweet Italian sausage. It doesn't even blink. I did splurge on an old metal food grinder attachment, but...my old K45 runs the grinder OK, too. Probably won't tow three water-skiers like the N50, though. And I have a food processor as well. One food processor takes up far less space than ALL the possible attachments for the mixer, and I really use them for very different cooking tasks. I do know a nice little K45 that's gonna be looking for a new home...

You're not getting rid of your K45, are you?!:ohmy:

From what you said earlier, it, too, has earned its weight in gold. It's a trooper now.

It has earned its weight in gold on macaroons alone. But my kitchen is small, and my first lesson on attachment came when I was five. My grandmother told me not to give the chickens names. I have listed it for sale on a popular online venue, but have had zero inquiries. I may have subconsciously overpriced it. Would serve me right if nobody buys it.

That would be a good thing.

Because, should ANYTHING ever go wrong with the one that you are now using, you'll at least have a backup.

I say that you should hold off on selling it because, like I've always been told; You don't miss your water until the well runs dry.

In other words, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!

My 22-year-old K-45SS, I will NEVER part with! It may be old as the hills, but it still has a lot of milage left and it's still alive and kicking! In the unlikely event of a whimpout of the other two stand mixers, I can always go back to the K-45SS to get me out of a jam.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom