"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-21-2008, 07:32 AM   #21
Sous Chef

Sorry, no, the Old machines noise.

I guess I didn't write that part very well.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #22
Executive Chef

When I used the food grinder attachment on my K-5SSWH Stand Mixer, I thought for sure that the machine was a goner!

I was truly amazed to find out that the machine had rebounded nicely and survived the onslaught! It's back up to speed and it's not acting up any more!!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:48 PM   #23
Sous Chef

The newer KA mixers are made by Whirlpool, not Hobart anymore. Most have some nylon gears now that won't bear the torque of kneading bread dough on a regular basis. Too bad. I have been using an ancient K45 with no problems...2 loaf batches. I recently picked up a used but nice Hobart N50 at the local thrift store...$7+tax. Just got the bowl and agitators for it today. I'll see if it's as good as I've heard.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:10 PM   #24
Executive Chef

WOW!!

That's a steal!! Goes for about $2,000.00 at Williams Sonoma!

K'Aid when it was owned by Hobart, even put nylon gears in their mixers back then. For years, I thought that my K-45SS Stand Mixer had metals gears. Wasn't too long ago that I found out that it has NYLON gears.

But it never acted up at all and it's still going strong after 22 years! The K5SSHW also has nylon gears. And trust me, you'll have to really abuse the machines to make them wimp out.

K'Aid says that if ever an undue strain is placed on the machines, the gears would go first - saving the motor so that the added expense of replacing it won't outweigh the cost of getting a new transmisson for the machines.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:47 AM   #25
Sous Chef

I stand...informed. Learn something new every day. The N50, btw, rocks. And I found a new food grinder in the downtown (Ventura) thrift for $2.95. I'm thinking a bread and sausage weekend...
Old 05-03-2008, 02:12 PM   #26
Head Chef

Your N50 mixer is truly a powerful machine isn't it?

And since it has a #10 hub like a KA, you should have no trouble with using a meat grinder, grain mill, and other attachments that a KA sometimes wimp out on.

And best of all, you can knead your bread without worrying about overload.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:57 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Because it has a heavy duty commercially rated motor.

Sara Moulton used one on her show Sara's Secrets.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:39 AM   #28
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolady View Post
Your N50 mixer is truly a powerful machine isn't it?

And since it has a #10 hub like a KA, you should have no trouble with using a meat grinder, grain mill, and other attachments that a KA sometimes wimp out on.

And best of all, you can knead your bread without worrying about overload.
My KA is not that old, maybe 5-6 years ... how do I know whehter it has a #10 hub and whether it will whimp out using the grinder? I always used my step-mom's original 1975 beast, which of course has never broken down or had a hiccup to this very day. I am pining for the 6-quart again, but the last one I tried was like having a freight train roll through the kitchen at lightening speed. Even the floor shook.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #29
Head Chef

All KA mixers have #10 attachment hubs.

Now, whether your particular newer model will wimp out using the grinder........it is a dice roll.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #30
Executive Chef

I've been deathly afraid to use ANY accessory that the attachment hub is supposed to accomodate since that nearly ill-fated predicament with the grinder attachment, so I just went on and bought separate appliances that run off their own eletrical power.

The food processor is your K'Aid Stand Mixer's "right-hand man" in the kitchen - replacing the bulk of the things that you'd use the mixer's power hub for. It would almost cost a fortune to get all those attachments, and then you'd have to try to store them all when not in use.

And since I have no cabinet space in this apt, that adds to the storage problems.