KitchenAid Q, Overloading?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're not kidding - those bowls ARE expensive. Ridiculously expensive!!:ohmy:

I just checked out some prices on other stuff there as well, and EVERYTHING there costs a fortune!! Nothing there is even what you might call "reasonably priced". Ouch!!

Last edited:
I paid $125 or so for mine [different company] about 6 years ago. It was on clearance from $189.

When it rains, it pours...I found a way to flash-plate copper onto stainless, economically. Use an alkaline bath instead of acid, and reverse the polarity of the electric current. Then one can either plate fully this way, or stop and clean everything up and plate normally, acid bath and normal polarity, on top of the flash coat, which works like a strike coat (normally nickel, I think). The other simple, cheap solution is to find a Hobart KA copper insert bowl on Craig's List for cheap and drive up to Grover Beach to pick it up and have lunch. Which I did today. I will still attempt the plating, and Caswell Plating sells a complete home Flash plating kit that should do the interiors of two or three bowls for about $170. For the handy and the brave.

I think finding a copper bowl insert is the best way to have the function of a full copper KA mixing bowl at a lower price.

Plating copper.........I don't think is for the novice.

Well, as said, I picked up a bargain insert today. Fresh fish chowder for lunch, too. Almost all fun...my dog, Sadie, ate a yellowjacket on the drive up, and it left her looking like Joe Louis after 12 rounds with Ali. Poor pooch. And the alkaline and acid baths for amateur home plating are made from kitchen stuff...vinegar, salt, baking soda. I could use spa chemicals, but won't take a chance on fouling my kitchen unless the prospects are edible. I might add, too, that the inserts are becoming scarce.

Incidentally, to buy one of those bowls, it would cost me more than what I paid for the K-45SS and almost what I paid for the K-5SS.

I don't see where it would be all that bad of an idea to plate your own bowl at home. Just have to make sure the proper chemicals and processes are used and with research that could be ensured.

Thing is if starting 'cold' and if all materials and equipment needed purchased it wouldn't be hard to imagine getting as much $$ as just buying the bowl or insert. Sort of like buying spatchula to oven to flour to bake one cake.

And then there is fouling of the kitchen. I wouldn't want to do plating in a living space or around youngsters.

How did this thread get from a KA burning up to copper inserts? ... Hijackers! LOL!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom