"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-18-2008, 01:00 PM   #1
Sous Chef

KitchenAid Q, Overloading?

I have the Pro 5 Plus lift bowl, 450 watt stand mixer.

Once a week (or so) I make 4~5 batches of bread, a batch consisting of ~32 ounces of flour (7~8 cups?) and 20 ounces of water.

This last go around the gears started making noise. When I first got the mixer in November there was a roughness in the gears which went away during the first batch. Now after 30? 50? batches the noise has come back but now the noise is much worse. Or at least it was when the motor was warm.

Also, the bowl flexes quite a bit. Is this normal? I can see stress fractures in the bowls ears future.

I do not knead above 2, sometimes because of the bowl flex I knead on 1. A couple of times I have inadvertently switched the mixer to 3 or 4 but IMMEDIATELY shut it down.

Also this last go around I thought I smelt a burnt brush odor. That could have been from a low voltage situation at the outlet as the place I was using the mixer isn't known for it's high amp wiring. I'm putting a meter on the outlet next time to monitor the voltage. But this wouldn't enplane the gear noise.

Am I overloading this mixer or asking too much of it? I don't think so, but I know enough to know I don't know. KitchenAid is sending me a new mixer (under warranty), I would hate to have this situation reoccur. But I would hate it more if I could make only 1/2 batch of bread at a time.

Flexing bowl, gear noise, gear lash, stinky motor, If I had paid retail I would be irked.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

It may be too much of a load for the motor. Especially if you're using bread flour. Try it with half the quantities and judge the reaction.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It may be too much of a load for the motor. Especially if you're using bread flour. Try it with half the quantities and judge the reaction.
I'm using AP unbleached.

A half batch (1 normal loaf) looks so lonely in the bowl. That's the best way I can describe it, for a single loaf it's not worth pulling out the machine. A 'batch' looks and seems to work (knead) just about right.

Your point is well taken. Reality stinks. If 2 loaves is too much it's too much. Since I cook by 'weight' it wouldn't be difficult to back it down by 1/4 or 1/3.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I was suggesting the half batch only as a test of the motor's performance. If it makes no difference in the noises and smells, your problem goes beyond the amount of stuff in the bowl. If the half batch results in a smoother running and quieter machine, try the 1/3 less quantity.

You could probably do two one loaf batches consecutively in the machine in about the same time as doing one loaf by hand.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If the half batch results in a smoother running and quieter machine, try the 1/3 less quantity.
You were writing while I was editing.

This remote thought projection thing has got to stop.

Quote:
You could probably do two one loaf batches consecutively in the machine in about the same time as doing one loaf by hand.
Maybe my method has a bit to do with it too.

I make a sponge per batch so I'll have 3~5 sponges sitting there. I'll go through 3 sponges as: First sponge in mixer, add flour, knead, remove for autolyse. Second sponge, flour, knead, remove .... Third sponge .... then first batch in for second kneading, second batch .... when I'm done with the first three I start the last two.

The noise and smell started around the second knead on the second batch. Mayhaps I should go to hand finishing. I was thinking of doing that anyhow. I like the feel of dough.

Basically the machine is kneading bread for a half hour or longer straight. That would explain the motor, not the gear noise. Unless the housing is expanding so much to cause that much additional gear lash.

The manual states the motor is thermally protected and for some things it is not uncommon for the motor to get hot, too hot to touch. This didn't get THAT hot, or maybe my nerve deadness is worse than I thought. Thermal protection didn't pop, but taking a machine where it self shuts down is not good.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Workhorse

I would not go easy on that mixer. We have the KA Heavy Duty but we're not kneading dough. Even if we were, that machine should hold up.

KA will probably replace it again if it fails again - let them worry about their product. I bet they don't want any negative press out there.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Me, too! I'd use my machine heavily while it's still under warranty, especially if you have any concerns about the motor, etc.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I did a quick search on this topic and I found similar complaints for some of the high end KA mixers, even the 600 series. I am quite surprised by them. Smilar reviews can be found on Amazon.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Wart,

That mixer has a one year warranty. My recommendation is to make sure you register the machine and use it regularly, contact Kitchen Aid if the concern persists.

It is a mixer, and is designed to knead bread among other functions. I am sure KA will replace the machine under warranty if there is a problem, I suggest to contact them to have a record of your issue just in case.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

You might also check the KA manual or website to determine the capacity of the mixer.

There was a similar disussion in an earlier thread (you can try to find that as well) where there was info from KA that there was an "x" cup flour capacity based on using AP flour. That capacity would be even less for bread flour.