KitchenAid Stand Mixer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol, a little Monty Python reference there... I'll be whistling that song all afternoon now. I still remember walking by the picketers to see that movie.

I can't even think of flour without getting it on me. There. I got some on me just now typing the word. I try to keep prep mess to a minimum, so I'll keep using my FP if I want to "grind" meat.

Macy's is having a sale on the accessories if anyone is interested.

Has anyone used the food mill, not the grain mill, but the one that would be for when you want to separate tomatoes from their seeds and skins to make tomato sauce? I have a hand mill but it really tires out my arms when I make a lot of tomato sauce.

Do you mean the Fruit and Vegetable Strainer?

We have used it a couple times, we use it to mush up the strawberries for Kathleen's wine.

You do need to have the food grinder to go with it.

In the list of attachments they put in the box they call it Fruit/Vegetable Strainer Food Grinder. It seems as if it comes with the grinder attached and also includes the parts needed to strain fruits and vegetables. I don't think you can use the grinder on that to grind meat, though. I guess if you wanted a meat grinder then you'd have to buy the meat grinder accessory separately. It says you can use it to make tomato sauce. That is what I would be primarily interested in since the hand crank one is too much work.

In the list of attachments they put in the box they call it Fruit/Vegetable Strainer Food Grinder. It seems as if it comes with the grinder attached and also includes the parts needed to strain fruits and vegetables. I don't think you can use the grinder on that to grind meat, though. I guess if you wanted a meat grinder then you'd have to buy the meat grinder accessory separately. It says you can use it to make tomato sauce. That is what I would be primarily interested in since the hand crank one is too much work.

The strainer is an attachment that fits to the grinder. The pictures just show it attached. I purchased the entire accessory pack, the only thing I use is the grinder.

For the Fruit and Vegetable Strianer you basically pull the auger of the food grinder out and put a longer one in that has a sieve. The you put the other thing on the front of it.

I have not used it for tomato sauce, I keep threatening to do so.

Ok so I bought a can of whole San Marzano tomatoes at the store and ran them through the FVSFGA. It was a messy operation as it was all pretty wet. I think I should have poured off the liquid first (I didn't realize how much liquid they used to pack these things with). It made crushed tomatoes like I would get in the can.

The thing is a tad weird as it puts liquid out one end and all the solid "waste" stuff out the nozzle. I let that dump back into the bowl and stirred.

When I see some nice looking paste tomatoes at the store I will try those.

Ok so I bought a can of whole San Marzano tomatoes at the store and ran them through the FVSFGA. It was a messy operation as it was all pretty wet. I think I should have poured off the liquid first (I didn't realize how much liquid they used to pack these things with). It made crushed tomatoes like I would get in the can.

The thing is a tad weird as it puts liquid out one end and all the solid "waste" stuff out the nozzle. I let that dump back into the bowl and stirred.

When I see some nice looking paste tomatoes at the store I will try those.

Thanks for making the effort. I would be using it for fresh tomatoes when they are plentiful in the summer. That is usually when I buy a bunch of soft tomatoes at a lower price and make sauce and freeze it for the winter. Doing it in large batches is hard on the elbows when constantly cranking the hand Foley Mill.

I read some reviews for the accessories on Macys.com and there was one there that was specifically rating the FVSFGA. She gave it a terrible review because she had to cut the plum tomatoes in quarters in order to get them in the grinder. To me that would be a no brainer. I always cut my tomatoes in quarters before I put them in the Foley Mill so I don't see that as a problem. What I am wondering is if the consistency of the tomatoes come out the same as in the hand cranked method.

I haven't done hand cranked so.... :)

I meant to get around to finding some nice tomatoes this summer and trying this. I might see if I can find something decent soonish and give it a try. If nothing else it will let me know if I want to give it a go when I can find nice tomatoes.

I haven't done hand cranked so.... :)

I meant to get around to finding some nice tomatoes this summer and trying this. I might see if I can find something decent soonish and give it a try. If nothing else it will let me know if I want to give it a go when I can find nice tomatoes.

There is nothing like tomato sauce made from fresh tomatoes. I buy a lot of heirloom tomatoes in the summer and the ones that get soft get used for tomato sauce. They make a very sweet sauce and it is interesting to see the sauce in different colors! :) Last year I was at the farmers market and they hadn't sold all their soft tomatoes by the end of the market so they were giving them away. I got two huge bags of heirlooms and most of them were good enough for eating, the soft ones I used for sauce.

:) Last year I was at the farmers market and they hadn't sold all their soft tomatoes by the end of the market so they were giving them away. I got two huge bags of heirlooms and most of them were good enough for eating, the soft ones I used for sauce.

Sweet...

I was over at a local Italian market the other day and he was getting ready to make sausage. He cut all the meat off the bone and tossed the bones. A couple minutes later this couple came in looking for pork bones for soup. He offered to call them the next time so they could come in and just pick up the bones. It is nice when they know they are pitching it anyways and offer to just give it out instead of wasting it.

Wish I had know he was tossing the bones in the trash right then, coulda had me some nice pork stock simmering later in the day. :)

Sweet...

I was over at a local Italian market the other day and he was getting ready to make sausage. He cut all the meat off the bone and tossed the bones. A couple minutes later this couple came in looking for pork bones for soup. He offered to call them the next time so they could come in and just pick up the bones. It is nice when they know they are pitching it anyways and offer to just give it out instead of wasting it.

Wish I had know he was tossing the bones in the trash right then, coulda had me some nice pork stock simmering later in the day. :)

Yeah, and I bet he throws away a lot of beef bones too. A nice beef stock is not to shabby either.

The fish guy at my local farmer's market saves his fish pieces for one lady all the time. He charges her very little. I wish I had asked him first, it would be nice to make a Cioppino out of those leftover fish pieces.

I asked about beef bones... he said he has very little that doesn't go with the meat when sold. :ermm:

I absoulutely love:heart: mine. I can whip up two loaves of honey-wheat bread in about 10 minutes with the bread hook. The bread is a lot lighter because it takes less flour to get a smooth dough. I use mine at least twice a week, sometimes more. I think it is worth every$.:chef:[

Back
Top Bottom