KitchenAid Stand Mixer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Usually if it seems too good...

Of course if you spend $150 (total) and have a good solid mixer you are ahead of the game. Mine was $328 on Amazon.

I have found that The Mending Shed has good prices on parts and their service is excellent. The price of parts has been drifting downward and you should be able to get a gear cover for $12, a worm gear for $14, and bearings for $3.50. I would replace both bearings and the thrust washer.

If you are not successful finding a 54 tooth worm gear, the only solution is to add a new motor to your list of needed items. It will be compatible with the 60 tooth gear. It should be about $60.

I took another look in the gear housing .. the front bearing has broke abit & the worm gear has 3 teeth broke & some that could break.

I checked KA site for local service centers .. the one place I called had replacement metal houseing, worm gear & front bearing for $57.97 + 9.5% tax for a total of $63.48

I've done research .. and KA stopped making replacement parts for this series, and finding the correct worm gear could be very hard. This model does not have the newer 60 tooth gear .. it is either 53 or 54. I found an online place that have them, and they are cheaper than the local service center.

Maybe the $45 was too goo to be true

All in all it sounds like it is still a good deal once you get it refurbished.

For anyone who might be interested Macy's is having a home sale for the next couple of days. They have the KA Artisan Stand Mixer at $299 with the usual $30 rebate but Macy's has a rare extra 10% off on electrics for this particular sale. That would take an additional $30 off the price. Now I am kicking myself I didn't wait to see if they ran a better sale than what I got.

Yeah I saw 'The Mending Shed' when looking for parts. They do not have the worm gear I need, mine is 53 teeth & they only have the 60 teeth version.

Goodmans.net
MarBeck.com

have the parts I need

edit: Do I have to buy the KA brand Grease for the gearbox? or can I use other grease?

Last edited:
I use KitchenAid grease. If you decide to use something else I suggest staying with a Grade 2 lubricant that carries a USDA H1 rating for incidental food contact. [Food safe].

If you do change the brand of grease, thoroughly remove all the existing grease to avoid any compatibility problems. It is kind of a PIA to purchase a couple pounds of grease when you only need two ounces. I seldom use solvents and rely on a lot of tee shirts to remove old grease. Any solvent that is effective on grease is not pleasant to use indoors.

Before you order parts, check the worm follower very carefully to make sure it is not damaged. If the bevel gear and worm follower slide off the center shaft easily, it is not likely that the center shaft is bent, but it is a good idea to check it by rolling it on a table before reassembly.

Finally, on reassembly, be careful not to tighten the gear cover enough to cause a drag on the drive train. If you turn the motor gently using the back fan, you can feel any added resistance from a gear cover that is too tight. It only needs to be tight enough to keep the oil from leaking out.

Keeping in mind my latest purchase .. what do you all at DC consider one of the best KA stand mixers? Performance, Price, (replacement) Parts, Quietness, Ease of servicing.

I am almost regretting this "Professional 6" ..

Keeping in mind my latest purchase .. what do you all at DC consider one of the best KA stand mixers? Performance, Price, (replacement) Parts, Quietness, Ease of servicing.

I'll go with the only one I've owned, the one I just bought, the Pro 500. And the only reason that is, is because it was recommended by Kenji from ATK (formerly). He did a nice writeup of which one to choose... Sound reasoning, huh? :wacko:
Today I'll be jumping off a bridge. :LOL:

Well, you purchased a $400 mixer, used, for only $45... For the price you paid, you might consider taking to an authorized KA service center and have them refurbish it for you. That would still be a lot less than the price of a new one, or even a GOOD used one.

I would recommend the Hobart made KA 5SS for most people who want a reliable 5 qt stand mixer.

Now if you are willing to spend a bit more, and want a tank like mixer, then I suggest a KA model G mixer. Yep they are much older but they are almost as powerful as a Hobart N50.

If a 4 qt tilt head mixer floats your boat, then I recommend a KA 4B as the most durable and powerful 4 qt mixer KA ever made.

Well, you purchased a $400 mixer, used, for only $45... For the price you paid, you might consider taking to an authorized KA service center and have them refurbish it for you. That would still be a lot less than the price of a new one, or even a GOOD used one.

I second this advice.

For anyone who might be interested Macy's is having a home sale for the next couple of days. They have the KA Artisan Stand Mixer at $299 with the usual $30 rebate but Macy's has a rare extra 10% off on electrics for this particular sale. That would take an additional $30 off the price. Now I am kicking myself I didn't wait to see if they ran a better sale than what I got.

I am bumping my quote to remind people that Macy's still has this sale going on through Sunday. They have an additional 10% off coupon online or in the store on kitchen electrics. Online you type in HOTLIST to get the additional 10%. You still get the $30 rebate if you buy a model that is eligible for the rebate.

I said I was kicking myself that I didn't wait. Well, I called up Macys.com where I purchased it and explained that I recently bought one and now they have an additional 10% off. They are giving me a refund of the 10% which is another $30. I also recently got an email telling me my refund of 3% from fatwallet is available for my purchase from Macys.com. I had forgotten I went through fatwallet so the extra $9. off was a surprise. After that refund plus the refund of 10% and the $30 rebate the purchase price for the Artisan Stand Mixer before tax will be down to $230. Kudos to Macy's for being so customer friendly. :)

Last edited:

I second this advice.
Yeah, I know I am goingto keep & refurb this sucker .. but I still want to look for good deals on Craigslist for other KA mixers :rolleyes:

That is unexpected and a nice surprise.

Yes, it was! I have renewed faith in Macy's as a result. Now I am very happy I made the purchase of a new KA Stand Mixer! I had a Macy's gift card when I originally made the purchase for $50 so my total out of pocket cost was $180 plus tax.

My dear friend Mixfinder has been doing side by side comparisons between my 1930's KA model G mixer and his 3 yr old copper KA 620 mixer.

During the comparisons he also gives techniques and recipes. Mixfinder is a wonderful retired chef/baker/teacher who has massive experience with cooking and baking equipment. I thought you would appreciate his observations and techniques.

Here are links to his threads.

http://www.automaticwasher.org/TD/TH...74.htm?57#bott

http://www.automaticwasher.org/TD/TH...17.htm?50#bott

http://www.automaticwasher.org/TD/TH...0/26739.htm?43

And..........the bonus is that you can see for yourself why I say my old Model G is better than the new KA mixers! It is a no holds barred wrestlemania!

My dear friend Mixfinder has been doing side by side comparisons between my 1930's KA model G mixer and his 3 yr old copper KA 620 mixer.

During the comparisons he also gives techniques and recipes. Mixfinder is a wonderful retired chef/baker/teacher who has massive experience with cooking and baking equipment. I thought you would appreciate his observations and techniques.

Here are links to his threads.

http://www.automaticwasher.org/TD/TH...74.htm?57#bott

http://www.automaticwasher.org/TD/TH...17.htm?50#bott

http://www.automaticwasher.org/TD/TH...0/26739.htm?43

And..........the bonus is that you can see for yourself why I say my old Model G is better than the new KA mixers! It is a no holds barred wrestlemania!

Those links all lead to an error page.

I would recommend the Hobart made KA 5SS for most people who want a reliable 5 qt stand mixer.

Now if you are willing to spend a bit more, and want a tank like mixer, then I suggest a KA model G mixer. Yep they are much older but they are almost as powerful as a Hobart N50.

If a 4 qt tilt head mixer floats your boat, then I recommend a KA 4B as the most durable and powerful 4 qt mixer KA ever made.
K5SS I asume or K5A? .. and K4B .. and model G .. thanks :chef:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom