"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Kitchenaid stand mixer

Hi. I got the Artisan about 2 weeks ago. It was gently used.
So my question is what all can I do with it?
It came with the grinder/strainer, the cone shredder and the ice cream maker.
I cannot use the ice cream maker until I get some room in the freezer.
Yes it has the pour shield too.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

A stand mixer is generally used for mixing doughs and batters for breads, cakes, and some frosting recipes. I don't have attachments for mine but I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Wh did you have in mind when you bought it?

Old 10-05-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I think the hubby had cookies or desserts on the brain. He got it for me.

I know I am going to make divinity but alas I have to wait till the humidity drops.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:21 PM   #4
Head Chef

We've got the grinder and the sausage stuffer attachments, but ended up buying dedicated appliances for that because the KA struggles if you are doing large quantities. It's fine for small quantities though.

We've got the vege slicer/shredder attachment but honestly hardly ever use it because of the clean-up factor. If we're doing large quantities of something we'll use it or for something like grating fresh horseradish as neither one of us really wants to sit there with tears streaming down our face as we hand grate it or we'll simply use the food processor grating blade.

We've got the ice cream maker too and have made ice cream a good many times. It comes out a really soft serve and you either serve it the instant you take it out and have kind of soupy ice cream, or pack it in a container and put it in the freezer for a while. The unit has to be in the freezer at least overnight to work well. We used to keep it in the deep freezer unless we were running really short on space.

Obviously we've got the spiralizer now that has yet to be tested.

I'd suggest you download the manuals for the KA and the attachments from the Kitchen Aid web site. You'll need to know the directions on how to use them safely and properly because there is a trick or 2 to using them.

Also, be careful and don't go crazy with making dough. I made a triple batch of pizza dough 1 time and ended up stripping a gear. DH was not happy with me since he ended up having to take it apart and put it back together after I had ordered the gear. He's good at fixing things, otherwise I'd have had to pay somebody to do it. There were LOTS of little parts.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:23 PM   #5
Executive Chef

My wife uses hers for one thing only. Cookie dough.
We could put it away every year until the holidays and then bring up from the basement. I takes up considerable counter space.

Your husband did a good thing. Maybe you can find more things to use yours for.
I'm the primary cook and never use it.
But i don't bake much either.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:37 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Hubby was going to surprise me with it, then realized that I would need time to reorganize the kitchen to make room for it.

Thanks for the tip on the ice cream.
I downloaded all the manuals too.
As to clean up on the shredder, let's not lettuce do that one again. Now it did good on cabbage.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

I use mine for bread, pizza, bagel dough, cakes, cookies, cheesecake, meringues and whipped cream.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:50 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I used mine for baking - cakes - frosting - cookies. It makes short work of whipping egg whites & heavy cream.

As far as the attachments, I have many of them. I think my all-time favorites are the pasta rollers & cutters (including the ravioli maker) and meat grinder/sausage stuffer. I have the old-style pasta extruders, which are just OK. The newer ones look like they might work better.

I never use the vegetable slicer/grater, although if I didn't have a food processor I'd probably use it. Same for the ice cream maker - I have a dedicated one.

The new slicer/dicer interests me, as does the spiralizer, but I don't have either of those.

I found that if you have the space, leave it out on the counter. It's so heavy that if you put it away somewhere, it's too much trouble to drag it out. If I put it away, I rarely use it - but sitting out, I go to it frequently.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

The most recent thing I used it for was to make Swedish meatballs. The Cooks Illustrated recipe calls for using the stand mixer to whip the mixture; it makes very light meatballs.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:01 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Yes, it has a dedicated place on the counter.
It is very heavy.

Tags
kitchen, kitchenaid, mixer