"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-14-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

KitchenAid vs Cuisinart Appliances

I am working on my registry and I'm trying to decide between KitchenAid or Cuisinart appliances -- like toaster oven, waffel maker, food processor, blender, hand mixer, griller, juicer, etc.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

Old 03-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
Sous Chef

KitchenAid mixer, unless you can afford a Hobart. Cuisinart food processor. Blender? VitaMix. Juicer...Champion, of course. Just my opinion, of course.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
Master Chef

I have both. KitchenAid stand mixer , Cuisinart Food processor , Cuisinart Griddler, Cuisinart Ice cream maker.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I have both. KitchenAid stand mixer , Cuisinart Food processor , Cuisinart Griddler, Cuisinart Ice cream maker.

I have this same combo. Also a Cuisinart toaster oven and coffee maker.

We have a Kitchen Aid 5 speed hand mixer and I don't care for it at all.

I understand the VitaMix is a good product. However, I saw one being demonstrated at Costco today. It was being sold for $394.!!! i don't use a blender a lot and have a Braun I paid less than $50. several years ago. It works great. When it craps out, I'll buy another. I can replace a lot of blenders for $394.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

thank you for the advice! keep them coming :)
Old 03-14-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
Certified Cake Maniac

I have a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker and love it! I have a KE stand mixer, the 600 Pro model and wouldn't trade it for the world. I currently have a hand me down food processor because I burn them out faster than you can believe - I am trying to decide on which one to get (though I wish I could afford a Robocoup!). As for blender, I want a Vitamix.

I think you really have to shop around, decide what features/price you want and then compare the brands to find the best fit. I wouldn't say that one company makes the best across the board.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:20 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
KitchenAid mixer, unless you can afford a Hobart. Cuisinart food processor. Blender? VitaMix. Juicer...Champion, of course. Just my opinion, of course.
I agree wholeheartedly with Gadzooks -- but I'd also add a Pasquini espresso maker -- Livia model.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Have no experience with Cuisinart appliances, but I do have a KitchenAid stand mixer that I bought about 30 years ago. Fantastic workhorse. Love, love, love it.

As for blenders, I have an Osterizer I bought in 1967 that has been used and used and used and is still going strong today.

Best wishes on making wise choices.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Kitchenaid for the mixer, obviously.

I've got a darn fine waffle maker from Cuisinart, the Griddler, as well as a soft serve ice cream maker, and they all do their jobs quite well (though I don't tend to use them much).

The only thing I'd wanna point out is not all Kitchenaid mixers are created equal. It's somewhat important *where* the Kitchenaid mixer comes from. If you get one from a place like Macy's or Bed Bath & Beyond and were for some reason to take it apart, you'd find metal fittings and screws, stainless steel internal casing and a better motor. If you take one from a place like Wal-Mart and take it apart, you'll find plastic screws and fittings, pot metal casing, and a less durable motor. The design changes according to what pricing structure the retailer is paying.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadzooks View Post
I can't imagine too many home cooks who would have the room for or need of a Hobart! The KA mixer was designed to look like a baby Hobart. I love mine. And my Cuisinart food processor is the one electric appliance I would keep if forced to pare down to one only. Would not like to cook without it!

For me a blender is dispensable. I get along fine with my food processor and immersion blender. I've sold off two or three traditional blenders. As for juicers, if you use one daily, you should have a Champion, or the one I have, Omega. The others are mostly lightweight plastic and self-destruct quickly with regular use.

I would be more concerned with the performance of the items than whether or not they "matched" on my countertop.

Tags
appliances, cuisinart, kitchen, kitchenaid