"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-14-2007, 07:11 AM   #1
Senior Cook

KitchenAid vs. Sunbeam

Ok, I know the topic of KitchenAid stand mixers has been discussed thoroughly on here already, but I just wanted a quick synopsis of why exactly KitchenAid is "better" than other brands.

I'm asking for a KA Artisan Stand Mixer for Christmas from my mom, and she found a Sunbeam one with the same wattage, bowl capacity, accessories, etc., etc... How can I convince her that KA is better when all of the specs are the same?

Thanks for the help!

Old 11-14-2007, 07:22 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Just tell her KA is the one you want.

Also mention the many accessories KA offers that allow you to make pasta, grind meat, make ice cream, etc.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:14 AM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chave982 View Post
Ok, I know the topic of KitchenAid stand mixers has been discussed thoroughly on here already, but I just wanted a quick synopsis of why exactly KitchenAid is "better" than other brands.

I'm asking for a KA Artisan Stand Mixer for Christmas from my mom, and she found a Sunbeam one with the same wattage, bowl capacity, accessories, etc., etc... How can I convince her that KA is better when all of the specs are the same?

Thanks for the help!
It's not better. Well, maybe the big one is great for the dedicated bread baker or those who love to make double batches.

I had an old Sunbeam for years. I was wowed by all the KA press a couple years ago and succumbed to the hype. Just recently I finally gave it away and last week bought a Sunbeam Heritage 450 watt stand mixer and have never been happier.

The beaters actually get to the bottom of the bowl when I'm mixing small amounts, unlike the one-beater "planetary" action that left stuff unblended. It's simple to add ingredients because of the placement of the bowl. Unlike the lever type of KA, I can easily lift the head of the Sunbeam to scrape down the bowl, something that is necessary and very difficult with the KA.

The Sunbeam is simple and intuitive. It has more than enough power for the majority of uses. And it comes with a large bowl, a small bowl, dough hooks, and whisks, in addition to the beaters.

On top of all that, it's a great value. I paid $129 at Macy's, with a $10 rebate.

I know that I can't convince the diehard KA people, but that's okay.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I have used Sunbeam mixer for 30 some years. When my Sunbeam died I started looking around at the KAs.They were about $200 more, weight a ton, and all but the hight end KA had less wattages as the Sunbeam. I have had my new Sunbeam for a year now and am very pleased with it.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:03 AM   #5
Executive Chef

K'Aid has been my favorite for 20 years.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
Executive Chef

To each his/her own. I make pasta, grind meat, make bread etc so the KA is my buddy. My sis makes tons of holiday baking...she loves the KA too. Mom, would not part with her Mixmaster from the 50s PERIOD NO DISCUSSION. Yes mom. Comes down to how and what you cook and what you like and are comfy with.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

KitchenAid vs. Sunbeam

I bought a Sunbeam the other day because it had more power and it was a hundred dollars cheaper.... I got it home and started it up... at first it was awesome... until the mixture got thick... because the bowl on the sunbeam doesn't lock, the bowl was moving all over the place.... for this reason I bought a KitchenAid.. because the bowl locks into place... and it has the capability of being so much more than a mixer.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:46 PM   #8
Senior Cook

My Sunbeam mixer's bowls lock in place, have they changed the design?