Largest fridge capacity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
I have a large family. There are currently 6 of us and we only go grocery shopping every 2 weeks. During the winter we have a few places that serve as "overflow" for fridge items that will stay just around the right temperature. We're SOL during the summer though.

We're looking at getting a super-cheap "garage fridge" for overflow but this whole ordeal has made me curious how large a fridge a very large family can actually find?

Also look at appliance repair shops. They often buy them from estate sales. You can get a limited warranty with them.

SubZero. 84"x48"x24". Only $15,000.

PRO48_classic

How bout a walk in :angel:

comm-refrigeration.jpg

But seriously .. I'd check Craigslist for surplus/used fridges ..

I saw a working fridge for FREE in the Denver CL

Last edited:
I have a large family. There are currently 6 of us and we only go grocery shopping every 2 weeks. During the winter we have a few places that serve as "overflow" for fridge items that will stay just around the right temperature. We're SOL during the summer though.

We're looking at getting a super-cheap "garage fridge" for overflow but this whole ordeal has made me curious how large a fridge a very large family can actually find?

Hmmm. For most of my parenting life I lived in a suburb of Washington, DC and we had 6 children. We shopped for some of the essentials once a week and the rest once a month. We had a 21 cu foot refrigerator and a 31 cu foot upright freezer. Those two appliances served us more than adequately.

We shopped at an area warehouse place (Not Sam's. Didn't exist at that time.) and froze quite a lot of our foods. For example, we purchased eggs in 15-dozen lots. They were frozen in quantities that served the recipes I prepared and some were left in the refrigerator for "fresh" use.

The only thing I could recommend is to purchase a used refrigerator at a yard sale/consignment/estate sale, etc. for such things as extra milk, bread (if you don't already make our own), eggs and some produce.

I could go on and on, but this is just the gist of what we did.

I bought a 17 cubic foot all-fridge a couple of months ago, to replace our 24 cubic foot side by side fridge and freezer. An all-fridge is expensive. And every time you open it, a very large fridge loses a lot of its coolness.

I think you are better off with a 2nd unit, to be perfectly honest. What is your freezer situation like ?

Back
Top Bottom