Life without an oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think instead of broil 'n bake I'm more likely to grill 'n bake, using my oven in conjunction with an outdoor gas grill, perhaps to accomplish the same ends. You can often switch cooking methods from broil to barbecue or grill--after all it's just the difference of whether the heat is above or below.

I'm not certain of my energy related comments (and no expert) but I think I'm right about paying close attention to your specs. Unfortunately the information you need might not be evident from the specs alone.

You're right about the grill n bake, however, my grill is out on the deck and it's not usually my first choice to run back n forth from grill to oven after a long hot day of working in a kitchen! Not to mention kids sitting at the dining room table 5 nights a week asking homework questions while I am cooking! You know, convenience goes a long way at the end of most days! But grilled anything IS always better! And I do think you're right about my needing info beyond specs! I sure was hoping someone had one of these or knew someone with one!:wacko:

You're right about the grill n bake, however, my grill is out on the deck and it's not usually my first choice to run back n forth from grill to oven after a long hot day of working in a kitchen! Not to mention kids sitting at the dining room table 5 nights a week asking homework questions while I am cooking! You know, convenience goes a long way at the end of most days! But grilled anything IS always better! And I do think you're right about my needing info beyond specs! I sure was hoping someone had one of these or knew someone with one!:wacko:

Sorry, I live in an apartment and I didn't get to pick the stupid stove they put in here when it was time to replace it. Or the stupid installers...:glare:

Measure your space and head to Lowe's, Home Depot, Sears, Best Buy and look at all they have to offer. Grab up all the booklets they have on each and question, question, question. Take notes! Then walk away from the salesmen and think about it. Make your decision at home.

+1

MG I think you should pay pretty close attention to specs. You might find the larger oven doesn't use appreciably energy difference than the smaller one. Much of the heat is probably lost in the walls, floor, back, top and door. An oven twice the volume does not require twice the walls, floor, back top and door, so escaping waste energy does not rise proportionately with the volume of the oven. (Keep in mind we're discussing an oven perhaps 10%-25% larger, not one twice the size; the difference may be miniscule.) Heating more air is the least of the problems; air heats quickly without much energy (more easily than water for example). Probably a lot of that energy gets used up heating what you are cooking, the turkey for example. The energy expended raising the temperature of a turkey from room temperature to 165 degrees is not going to be any different irrespective to the size of the oven.

I'm curious if you or anybody can give an example of a menu that requires two ovens because the temperature and cooking time of the individual dishes can't be adjusted to cook them at the same temperature. The examples I can imagine, perhaps cooking a turkey and at the same time cooking a loaf of bread or pie just don't impact me. Either (or both) the bread and pie could be cooked earlier and if you had to really have them oven fresh you could finish them off in the oven after the turkey is done.

I've never needed two ovens. Not ever. I'd like to see example of who has, and why?

I've wanted two ovens on more than one occasion when entertaining. Only one example is my desire to bake potatoes or a baked vegetable casserole while roasting a Prime Rib with the "no peekie" method of turning off the oven and never opening the oven for a specified time.
I would love to have two smaller ovens, as the only time I cook a huge turkey, it's on the Webber barbeque. A huge turkey is the only reason one would need a huge oven in my opinion.

here's a thought.......
over here a single oven stove is quite a bit cheaper than it's counterpart sized double oven for obvious reasons...one door & two hinges less is one of them! why not buy the single oven & get the turkey capacity sorted & buy one of these with the difference.i have a large built in single oven with a 4 plate stove top & this counter top fan assisted oven with rotisserie & two more plates for everyday use.not a bad size either,the bird on the spit is a 3.5 pound chicken but the oven gets used daily so she ain't as clean & shiny bright now! other advantage is economy.gets to 500f in about 10 mins.
harry

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 208
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 197
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 223
We renovated our kitchen a few years ago. We got a regular/convection oven with a warming drawer. In retrospect, I would have gotten a regular-sized oven with a small separate oven, like this: Maytag MGR6775ADW / MGR6775ADQ / MGR6775ADB Gas Range

here's a thought.......
over here a single oven stove is quite a bit cheaper than it's counterpart sized double oven for obvious reasons...one door & two hinges less is one of them! why not buy the single oven & get the turkey capacity sorted & buy one of these with the difference.i have a large built in single oven with a 4 plate stove top & this counter top fan assisted oven with rotisserie & two more plates for everyday use.not a bad size either,the bird on the spit is a 3.5 pound chicken but the oven gets used daily so she ain't as clean & shiny bright now! other advantage is economy.gets to 500f in about 10 mins.
harry
sorry garlic
just read your post,the link from your's isn't working(?) so i can't see the images but,i guess,we are singin' off the same hymn sheet on this one:)
harry

Let me know what u get please as I am currently having the same dilemma. I need to replace a buggered oven and am learning whole new cooking styles at the same time. BBQ n pressure cooker and large electric frypan getting some real use. I catered for a family lunch last week for 20 people. I cooked the slow roast lamb shoulder in the BBQ 4.5 kg over 7 hours trying to maintain a 140-170 celcius temp range. It worked but my usual gravy juices were too burnt to use as the BBQ temp would go to high or too low. I did the mustard seed crispy potatoes in the pan and the corn n veg in the pressure cooker. I made a cold trifle dessert using bought custard and bought sponge. I am trying to decide between a larger 900cm range with 6 gas burners including wok burner and electric multi function oven or a double oven, the top oven is an oven just not fan forced but the bottom
Is multi function with a four gas top with wok burner. I have been frustrated before when cooking meat, bread, pavlova or creme caramels etc trying to juggle time with temps. If I want to do a very large cut now I cook it the night before, carve it cold then pot pan juices over cover with foil and reheat.

I like what you have have, Harry. Is that the Maytag in GarlicGirl's link?
no cws.we've got a large(well for our tiny l'il island anyway!)retailer over here called argos.this is a cookworks oven which is their own brand appliance.absolute blinder for the money(about$120).you can select fan,convection,top heat,bottom heat,rotisserie or grill & you've got the two hob plates too.hardly use my main oven unless i'm entertaining.
as it's their own brand i don't know who makes them but i have seen the same oven under the name of bigger brands(more money of course!)
harry

no cws.we've got a large(well for our tiny l'il island anyway!)retailer over here called argos.this is a cookworks oven which is their own brand appliance.absolute blinder for the money(about$120).you can select fan,convection,top heat,bottom heat,rotisserie or grill & you've got the two hob plates too.hardly use my main oven unless i'm entertaining.
as it's their own brand i don't know who makes them but i have seen the same oven under the name of bigger brands(more money of course!)
harry
I have never seen anything like it on this side of the pond. I googled and the results were all for the UK.

Maybe we don't get those because we use 110 Volt electricity? If we have an electric stove here, it either has to be installed by an electrician or there is a special 220 volt outlet for it. I've got one of those 220 volt outlets for my dryer too.

I have never seen anything like it on this side of the pond. I googled and the results were all for the UK.

Maybe we don't get those because we use 110 Volt electricity? If we have an electric stove here, it either has to be installed by an electrician or there is a special 220 volt outlet for it. I've got one of those 220 volt outlets for my dryer too.
To me, it looks like a fancy toaster oven with a hot plate on top--I so want one!!! Actually, the installation of the wiring has to be inspected by an electrician, I believe, but one can do one's own wiring (I have had that done and had it inspected). Some ranges are hardwired (no plug--my friend's mom's stove was like that), others have that gigantic plug. I think most homes in NA are wired to include a 220 volt range.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Thanks for my laugh for the day. I have visions of her walking into the salesroom and pulling out a raw turkey. Bring along a roaster pan also.
Friends of mine in CT got their first free-range organic turkey one year--it was close to 40 lb. (As my friend described it, it looked as if they had stuffed a toddler in the fridge). Their roaster pan was not big enough. They put the turkey in a cooler, went to a local store and brought the roaster pan in which they were interested out to the parking lot to see if the turkey fit. Another friend had her husband cut the 48 lb free-range turkey into quarters using the band saw so she could get parts of it in her roaster. It happens.:chef:Good thing they both have restaurant/industrial ovens! I can barely fit a 22 lb turkey in my oven and roaster pan.

Last edited:
Wow! I've neither seen no heard of turkeys that big. The ones I've cooked were in the 12#-20# range. I wouldn't want to meet up in the wild with a mad 40# turkey!

These weren't wild turkeys--these were free-range, organic turkeys. The problem was that the growers just kept feeding the turkeys and the people who ordered them didn't limit the size--so they got these huge turkeys. I used to order free-range, organic turkeys but specified the lb size. The last one I got was 22 lb. That was for Easter. It barely fit in my biggest roaster--it was very good. At Thanksgiving time, I could get a 15-17 lb turkey, Christmas a 17-20 lb turkey, by Easter, the smallest turkey I could get was 22 lb with parts missing (drumsticks). This for 2 people. I quit getting my turkeys from this source after that--although, best turkey I've ever eaten.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom