"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 03-05-2006, 04:40 AM   #1
Master Chef

Light in the fridge, but not the freezer

I'm just curious: who decided that refrigerators need lights, but freezers don't? I live in a very old house, and my fridge/freezer is in a weird spot. I've had overhead lighting added to make it easier, but really wish there was a light in the freezer portion. Why are there no lights in freezers? And don't tell me it is the temperatures, for a portion of the year it is colder outside than in my freezer, and my porch and street lights (I own the street light) work quite fine.

Old 03-05-2006, 06:18 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Is your fridge an older model?

Old 03-05-2006, 07:59 AM   #3
Head Chef

My fridge is a year old and has no light, would be nice at times.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:54 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

The light in out upstairs fridge has not worked in years. I have gotten so used to it. I forget that fridges have light when I go to use someone elses

My moms freezer does have a light. I agree Roy, they all should have it. Why one and not the other?
Old 03-05-2006, 09:15 AM   #5
Executive Chef

My fridge in the kitchen has a light in the fridge, but nothing in the freezer. It's an over-under type, with the freezer over the fridge. The fridge downstairs in the basement, a side-by-side, has lights in both doors.

I do think it's a temperature thing. Restaurants have huge walk-in freezers, the size of most people's bathrooms, if not bigger. Those always have a few light fixtures in them. They need special bulbs. If a restaurant owner tries to go cheap and buy normal household incandescent bulbs, they'll burn out in a month or less. I think it has to do with the greater range of temperatures affecting that thin filament. Bulbs made to go into a freezer can withstand the temperature variations better, so the filament doesn't break.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:00 AM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
My fridge in the kitchen has a light in the fridge, but nothing in the freezer. It's an over-under type, with the freezer over the fridge. The fridge downstairs in the basement, a side-by-side, has lights in both doors.

I do think it's a temperature thing. Restaurants have huge walk-in freezers, the size of most people's bathrooms, if not bigger. Those always have a few light fixtures in them. They need special bulbs. If a restaurant owner tries to go cheap and buy normal household incandescent bulbs, they'll burn out in a month or less. I think it has to do with the greater range of temperatures affecting that thin filament. Bulbs made to go into a freezer can withstand the temperature variations better, so the filament doesn't break.
Abd of course, those filaments for the bulbs likely cost more.

Try this one. At least in the standard ice box, the fridge part is far larger, and normally the controls for tepmerature "block" the bulb from possible damage. In the smaller freezer, there's nothing to protect the bulb from mistakenly being smashed while stocking the freezer. Before we bought a chest freezer, our ice box freezer got pretty dang full.

The chest freezer doesn't have a bulb either, but being top open, and having a strong florescent light above allows for easy visibility.
Old 03-05-2006, 10:26 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Something to put on your list of requirements for the next new fridge. They are availale on some models.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:12 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

My freezer has a light. Have you checked to see if yours does.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:28 AM   #9
Sous Chef

The fridge I have now is the first one I've had that has a light in the freezer. It is a bottom freezer model.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:55 AM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Sorry this is off topic, but every time I read the title to this topic I laugh. Why? Because it makes me think of the Muppet Christmas Carol. Gonzo (Charles Dickens) and Rizzo the Rat provide the narritive (well, more Gonzo than Rizzo. Rizzo color commentates). At the part where the lamplighters are lighting the lamps for the evening, Gonzo is on a ladder doing the same. Rizzo's tail gets caught in the flame, and he starts screaming "Light the lamp, not the rat! Light the lamp, not the rat!"

ROTFL!

Sorry. My all time favorite Christmas movie, and this topic title quickly brings it to mind!