"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 11-04-2015, 11:58 PM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

Being responsible for my own laundry for 10 years, I learned. Just a few basic questions to my sister and I was good. It wasn't until I met SO and there was a whole new set of rules for her stuff (I never had to put my underwear in a zippered mesh bag to wash them...). So now I wash basic stuff and she washes the rest.

I iron for both of us because I'm better at it.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:52 AM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Larry, you sound like me with the washer/dryer. For years, I've tried to master laundry and have invariably ended up ruining many articles of clothing in the process.

After making a number of reasonable efforts, my wife finally said, "Why don't you just stick to the cooking? We all have our talents and obviously laundry is not one of yours."
When I was in college, I used to take my clothes and detergent with me into the shower, and thats how my clothes got washed. ( dried them on top of the heater in the room).

A few years ago, My wife turned on the washing machine, then left for the day. I was cooking, heard a noise coming from outside the kitchen, and figured it was the television in the other room. A few minutes later, something didn't just seem right, so I went out of the kitchen to see what it was, and noticed about 1 inch of water coming from the downstairs bathroom all over the hall way. I opened the bathroom door, and the toilet was gurgling and over flowering ( as a result of the septic tank being too full, and the washing machine trying to drain water to a full tank). I ran to the washing machine to turn it off, but there were like 100 buttons, dials and switches. It was like trying to fly an airplane without knowing how. I pressed and twisted a few things, with no results. finally, I just pulled out that huge plug on the wall and the machine ( and over flowing ) stopped.

The kicker is, it was on my birthday, and it was a Sunday during football season. So, trying to find someone to come and pump it out was a real treat.

In our picture album for that year, I have a picture of all of our birthdays and what we did. On mine, I have the picture of the cesspool truck sitting in front of our house.

I always say that was the most expensive birthday present I ever got. Just what I wanted to do on my birthday. Spend $2000 to have years of crap pumped out of my septic tank.

I guess this is the long way of me saying that my laundry skills are equally as poor, and the reason Im told to just stay in the kitchen.

Larry

Old 11-05-2015, 11:15 AM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Larry, you sound like me with the washer/dryer. For years, I've tried to master laundry and have invariably ended up ruining many articles of clothing in the process.

After making a number of reasonable efforts, my wife finally said, "Why don't you just stick to the cooking? We all have our talents and obviously laundry is not one of yours."
In this house, she does the separating and loads the washer, then we share the duties of transferring to the dryer and folding after drying. I sometimes wash my own stuff, but rarely touch hers.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #34
Head Chef

My sister in law puts her sharp knives and other utensils in the dishwasher basket facing up. I was helping after a big dinner there and got stuck in the hand putting other utensils into the basket! To me it seems almost hazardous doing it that way. Besides, when you put knives in with the blades pointing down, the soapy water has more time cascading down the handle to the blade and out the basket. To me that would seem to clean them more effectively.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:21 PM   #35
Head Chef

The bride to be asks the jeweler how best to protect her wedding ring, he replies, " Dishwater three times a day ".
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2015, 06:15 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post

The bride to be asks the jeweler how best to protect her wedding ring, he replies, " Dishwater three times a day ".
I'll be sure to tell my DH, 'cause his gold band is identical to mine.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:25 PM   #37
Head Chef

Well, my first wash was successful , didn't get stuck with anything, no suds all over the floor, and everything looks relatively clean. Lets see if I can make it two for two