Looking at buying a 48" Range

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lexie

Assistant Cook
Hi,
I have been researching 48" ranges and have narrowed it down to the Wolf 4 burner with griddle dual fuel or the Dacor with 6 burners and dual fuel. Any thoughts..pros and cons. I will also put in a single oven which I am considering the Miele master chef series. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. We looked at the DCS range as well as the Thermador.

Any thoughts? Yes, I think I'm jealous! I've been wanting to upgrade to even a 36" range, but my kitchen barely fits what we have.

Unfortunately, I have no real knowledge of the subject so can't be helpful. But I'm happy for you. :)

Love the extra two burners on the Dacor

To me the big advantage of the Dacor 48" is the 6 burners. I think that they offer much more flexibility than the center griddle. If I wish to griddle, I can easily put one on top of the burners, but I couldn't convert the griddle to extra burners if needed. Once you start using 6 burners, especially if you regularly cook multi-course meals--you'll wonder how you ever managed with only four.

Thanks for the input. I was having similar thoughts even though some 48" ranges do 8 burners with no griddle option which is probably overkill. I think Wolf does that only on their gas only range and it's not an option on the dual fuel. One other point on the Dacor is that there broil system on the new ovens is as close to an infrared grill as you can get without having a gas oven. That was definitely intriguing!

The Dacor oven is very nice. It heats up fast and the heat seems consistent throughout the oven. Also, I'm not a stickler for keeping the inside of the oven clean, but their design is pretty good. The heating element is under glass so it's easy to clean the bottom of the oven if anything spills. (Actually, in my case, I should say, "when" things spill!)

Decisions, decisions ...

You are buying a serious range my friend, either way. :chef:

As a friend of mine would say, I have "severe oven envy":cool:

I own Wolf built-ins & a Thermador cooktop w/ Starburners. I would lean towards the Dacor based on my Wolf experience. If you go w/ Thermador the starburners are difficult to keep clean & I'm not convinced that burner design will stay around much longer.

Thanks for your input!! Have you had problems with the Wolf. I didn't care for their configurations on the 48" range. You could not get a top without the griddle. I do love griddles but have been spoiled by the Thermador griddle that now is titanium coated and removable so that it is easy to clean, I have 4 boys and any time I can save in the kitchen is a plus! The Decor 48" comes standard with the 6 oversized burners and a griddle top to place over 2 of the burners. I also am intrigued by the glass covered heating elements in the ovens on their new Epicure line. I have heard the broil feature is much like the broil you get from an infrared broiler. Have you heard any pros or cons about the Dacor product in general? I agree with you on the star burners on the Thermador. Also, only 2 of the burners are extra low simmer where as on the Dacor all the burners can simmer.

Wolf

Thanks for your input!! Have you had problems with the Wolf. I didn't care for their configurations on the 48" range. You could not get a top without the griddle. I do love griddles but have been spoiled by the Thermador griddle that now is titanium coated and removable so that it is easy to clean, I have 4 boys and any time I can save in the kitchen is a plus! The Decor 48" comes standard with the 6 oversized burners and a griddle top to place over 2 of the burners. I also am intrigued by the glass covered heating elements in the ovens on their new Epicure line. I have heard the broil feature is much like the broil you get from an infrared broiler. Have you heard any pros or cons about the Dacor product in general? I agree with you on the star burners on the Thermador. Also, only 2 of the burners are extra low simmer where as on the Dacor all the burners can simmer.
The Wolf has several convection modes & internal probes. It/I committed the sin of making a roast, a chicken and a turkey underdone using the manual & specs.

Additionally, the paint inside the upper oven chips & comes off in tiny slivers. And they don't warranty that. I'd have to avoid them if I was buying new. :)

The Dacor range (it may be the 1 you refer to) looks good on the web & in pics. I haven't seen 1 close & personal yet. But broiling is very important. Especially if you like fish broiling is a good way to make it.

Last edited:
Thanks again for your insights!! Have you had any experience with the Dacor 48" epicure range? What about the Thermador Pro Grand Ranges? Any thoughts and or insights?

Hi Andy M., Yes i have and I am driving myself crazy doing the research. I have always had Thermador pro cooktops in the past, however, we are moving to a new house and due to the Kitchen layout I am now considering a 48" Range. What are your thoughts? I have done extensive research on the thermador pro grand, the decor epicure and the wolf. I also looked at the dcs now made by Fisher paykel.

I don't have any first-hand knowledge. I know there have been a lot of complaints about Wolf products. I can;t say if the 48" was specifically mentioined. Older threads here might be helpful.

Star Burners

You'll still get star burners w/ the Pro series range. The good (esthetic) thing is they have brass bases, whereas the plain cooktop has aluminum. The aluminum bases on mine are working their way to looking like brass - :ohmy:.

I always liked Thermador, just not sold on these star burners. ;)

Back
Top Bottom