"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2016, 12:20 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
One further thing to consider.. if your redo is a few years down the road and you are concerned about front of the stove controls becuase of kid safety issues.. this may no longer be a concern (they grow up). You will have many more options if you can consider ranges with front controls and front controls mean you don't have to reach over steaming and sizzling pots to reach the controls... just a thought.
Totally agree with this. I hate having to reach over hot food to use the controls on the back (my MIL's stove is like this; mine has them i the front).

Btw, my oven has delayed cook, rapid and regular bread proofing, rapid preheat, a cook-to-temp feature with a thermometer probe that plugs into the inside of the oven, and other features I don't remember. I really like it.

Old 10-31-2016, 12:31 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Totally agree with this. I hate having to reach over hot food to use the controls on the back (my MIL's stove is like this; mine has them i the front).

Btw, my oven has delayed cook, rapid and regular bread proofing, rapid preheat, a cook-to-temp feature with a thermometer probe that plugs into the inside of the oven, and other features I don't remember. I really like it.
Just to clarify the controls thing, mounted near the front, but on the top surface is ok (out of sight out of mind of the little ones), I just don't want them mounted on the front side, right above the oven door where they can be easily seen and reached by the little ones. I hope that makes better sense.

Bread-proofing is another thing I would like to have but I figured that would severely limit my options with the tough list I already have. I'm really starting to lean toward separate appliances, I like the idea of having the oven mounted up a bit higher than floor level...

CountryBoy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:39 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I think the best thing for you to do is to go to your nearest high end appliance showroom where they carry most major brands.
Here in the SoCa we have Pacific Sales and Universal Appliances with huge showrooms.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:42 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I think the best thing for you to do is to go to your nearest high end appliance showroom where they carry most major brands.
Here in the SoCa we have Pacific Sales and Universal Appliances with huge showrooms.
I'll likely do that when I can. I don't think there are any close to me; I'll probably have to go to Indianapolis (1-1/2 hr drive)... and I can't do that any time soon as I'm currently working overseas...
Old 11-22-2016, 12:16 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Why you little hussy. You will marry anyone that comes along with a good offer. (I am right behind you!)
Never mind all that nonsence about marrying for love. I'll go for money every time
Old 11-22-2016, 01:36 PM   #16
Sous Chef

OK here are my two cents, I tend not to disagree at all with my friends above in particular or in general.

I think it is great that you are planning ahead. And have to let you into my degree of planning, my Beloved Wife and I are still in apartments, we are thinking about what my (Beloved Wife doesn't cook), dream kitchen in both a house, and a cabin, which we hope to build in the long term clan.

I'm going to tell you what my plan is for my kitchen in the cabin, which we plan to build from scratch. I've been looking at this with the obsession a 15 year old girl plans her wedding, but without, sadly, a pintrest account. Maybe some things you can use and somethings you can't, don't know how extensive a remodel it is.

One thing I'm hoping on is commercial fixtures. Commercial food service providers might not seem to be a way to go, I do find that if you get to know the food service people in your area, they tend to work on a 'deal over a beer' ways and if you talk to them, for a very big job, they tend to order more fixtures than they need (a big instillation like a Outback Steakhouse, has to open on time, and sometimes they double up on the order so a bad stove doesn't tank the opening), or have older but still serviceable units they are taking out of a place, to make room for a different menu.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:21 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
One thing I'm hoping on is commercial fixtures. Commercial food service providers might not seem to be a way to go, I do find that if you get to know the food service people in your area, they tend to work on a 'deal over a beer' ways and if you talk to them, for a very big job, they tend to order more fixtures than they need (a big instillation like a Outback Steakhouse, has to open on time, and sometimes they double up on the order so a bad stove doesn't tank the opening), or have older but still serviceable units they are taking out of a place, to make room for a different menu.
I certainly appreciate the input; I may be able to help you with what I've found in my research so far.

True commercial fixtures have different installation requirements... primarily fire protection requirements and clearance to comustibles etc. One thing I didn't realize when I started searching is that a commercial stove/range requires non-combustible countertops/cabinets next to it plus something like 8" clearance all around (including underneath). They look may work in your kitchen or at Outback but it won't work in my kitchen so I started looking at high-end, commercial-style ranges made for home installation (better insulated so it gets rid of the clearances and non-combustibles requirements)...
Old 11-24-2016, 08:36 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBoy19 View Post

True commercial fixtures have different installation requirements... primarily fire protection requirements and clearance to comustibles etc.
Good point, as I'm thinking of starting from scratch it wouldn't be an issue, but yes in an existing kitchen.

TBS

Tags
oven