Looking for an Electric Oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timothy

Head Chef
Hello everyone! I had a gas oven and decided to do away with using gas. I've had the big ugly tank hauled off and I'm currently doing without an oven or range.

I have a one-burner halide hot-plate that works just fine and a large counter-top toaster oven for broiling and baking. I also have many other appliances that allow me to make almost anything I could in the oven, but it isn't the same.

I'm looking for a quality electric oven in the $1,000 price level. The one I have now is exactly 29 and 3/4" wide and I have about a quarter inch of gap, so 30" would be the maximum width I could use without modifying the counters.

If any of you have an electric oven of that description that you are very happy with, I'd love to hear what you have.

Thanks to all who respond!

Tim

I have a Samsung smooth top convection range and it is awesome. I am an avid baker so convection was on my list of "wants". The oven bakes very evenly. The glass top stove had a slight learning curve (the glass stays hot, so it isn't as responsive as gas of even a coil), but once you get used to it, it works quite well. The top gets hot enough to boil water quickly, and gets a good sear on meat. The glass is still in good shape after 2 years, looks almost new. I use cast iron frying pans on it and they haven't caused any damage so far. I clean the top after each use, and shine it up once in a while with ceramabrite cleaner.

The oven has a "proofing" feature if you like to bake bread, it helps dough rise quickly. There is a warming drawer at the bottom. On the cooktop there is a warming element and I use that often. The two front burners have the feature where you can choose the size, either for a small pot or large.

I paid $999 at Lowe's Home Improvement for this range, and I am still very happy with the purchase 2 years later.

I have the option for gas, but since I'm an avid baker, I wanted an electric convection oven, and figured that I would just "deal" with the cooktop. The cooktop works well though.

I have a Samsung smooth top convection range and it is awesome. I am an avid baker so convection was on my list of "wants". The oven bakes very evenly. The glass top stove had a slight learning curve (the glass stays hot, so it isn't as responsive as gas of even a coil), but once you get used to it, it works quite well. The top gets hot enough to boil water quickly, and gets a good sear on meat. The glass is still in good shape after 2 years, looks almost new. I use cast iron frying pans on it and they haven't caused any damage so far. I clean the top after each use, and shine it up once in a while with ceramabrite cleaner.

The oven has a "proofing" feature if you like to bake bread, it helps dough rise quickly. There is a warming drawer at the bottom. On the cooktop there is a warming element and I use that often. The two front burners have the feature where you can choose the size, either for a small pot or large.

I paid $999 at Lowe's Home Improvement for this range, and I am still very happy with the purchase 2 years later.

I have the option for gas, but since I'm an avid baker, I wanted an electric convection oven, and figured that I would just "deal" with the cooktop. The cooktop works well though.

Thank you for your great synopsis of your oven/range. I don't know anything at all about how convection ovens work. will it also cook everything else like roasts and casseroles? Is there anthing it won't do because of being a convection oven?

I think most convection ovens can be used in conventional (non-convection) mode. Regardless, convection is more effective with baked goods. Basically it's the use of a fan in the oven that circulates the heated air for faster and more even cooking.

Have you considered an induction stove top with the electric oven?

Thank you for your great synopsis of your oven/range. I don't know anything at all about how convection ovens work. will it also cook everything else like roasts and casseroles? Is there anthing it won't do because of being a convection oven?

It has a setting to use without the fans, but I really can't think of an occasion where I have needed to turn them off. Convection is great for roasting. This stove also has a "convect roast" that I forgot to mention, it cycles the broiler on and off and uses the fans to roast, resulting in nicely browned meats and vegetables. This really helps the chicken get a nice crispy skin.

Sounds like a nice oven, Bakechef. I too am a big fan of glasstops. So much easier to keep clean. I have a separate single induction burner.

I think most convection ovens can be used in conventional (non-convection) mode. Regardless, convection is more effective with baked goods. Basically it's the use of a fan in the oven that circulates the heated air for faster and more even cooking.

Have you considered an induction stove top with the electric oven?

The last time I looked induction would pretty much double his budget. There is a similar range to mine that has the induction cooktop and it was around $2000, that seemed to be the going rate for 30" induction ranges.

I hope that the price comes down, I would really like an induction top in my next range.

Back
Top Bottom