Looking for new Dehydrator, any suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Ive had my dehydrator for 15 years + . Although it gets the job done, Im sure the technology has gotten better, so Im in search of a new one before this one decided to crap out on me. Any suggestions based on personal experience ?

larry

Larry, I have a 9 tray Excalibur dehydrator. In the past I have had the round tray type dehydrators with the hole in the middle one with the fan on the bottom and one with the fan on the top. From my experience I recommend the Excalibur. The fan is located in the back so the air flows over each tray instead of through the trays with food on them like in the dehydrators with the fan on the bottom or the top. The Excalibur can be used with less than the nine trays if you have something that is thick or taller than the average spacing because the trays fit into it's own cabinet. Not like some dehydrators where the trays make up the drying cabinet.

I find my Excalibur is more efficient than ones I have used in the past. If you don't feel the need for a 9 tray they make a 5 tray.

I am hoping the garden really produces this year so I can utilize the dehydrator for preserving. So far I have had the Excalibur for 6 months and have no complaints. I ordered mine from the Excalibur website because I wanted the long warranty. I bought the model with the improved fan and heating unit. Not sure what model as I am not at home right now. But their website has all the specifics on the models.

I dehydrate and store foods in mason jars with vacume sealed lid using my foodsaver.

im not sure about any technology advancements, but i own a nesco dehydrator (retails at $40) that works great. it just has a small heating element and a fan to blow the air through the trays.

Depending on what kind of money or usage of them.You have plenty on the market to choose from.

I have the Excalibur 9 tray. That has got to be one of the best things I've bought for the kitchen. It's already paid for itself 3 times over since I've had it. Nothing from the garden goes to waste. It's not a limited dehydrator. As N2cooking has said the Ex's do have several models to chose from.

DC has a dehydrator section now. Dehydrator Discussions - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Munky.

I have the same: Exacalibur 9 tray and yesterday ran a small review on it in Canning & Preserves, topic called "Drying food". Like Chef Munkey, I can't fault it (except for a vibrating door). Drying food is addictive, too. However, I suggest you choose a dehydrator's size best to fit a specific place in your kitchen, as they are big, as ours is.

I never did any dehydrating, I thought I'd like to try it but don't want to go buy a dehydrator in case we don't like dried foods, am wondering if it would work to do in the oven

Now, an old friend of mine grows green beans and dries them in her attic. She throws down a clean white sheet, spreads out the beans, and covers them with another sheet. A week later, she climbs those creaky stairs into that hellishly hot attic, gathers the edges of the bottom sheet and hauls it to the kitchen table. Puts 'em in bags and has beans for the winter. A kettle with some fried up fatback, throw in the beans, diced onions, water, salt and pepper and simmer all day. I tell you, you can eat 'em till they run out yer ears.

I have the 9 tray Excalibur too. I did a lot of research before I got it. I would call it the Rolls Royce of dehydrators. It is expensive and takes up a lot of space, but I do not regret my decision for a second.

Back
Top Bottom