Looking for stand mixer for bread dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michael: not everyone has a seperate room for a mixer. KA all the way!

LOL - you must have missed where I suggested a 6-qt KA or 5-qt Hobart N-50 for home use ... and the Hobart D300 if the OP was looking for a commercial application?

FWIW: My kitchen was so small when I got my KA that I had to get a rolling cart to put it on - and had to store it in the hall closet when not in use. Due to the height of my cabinets, and the limited counter space I had, it wouldn't fit on the counter.

Trying to find a very good stand mixer for bread dough and cookie dough. Only serious cooks please reply. I need a mixer that has been throughly used and can be highly recommended.:ermm:
the wife and I picked up a kitchenaid 600 series at brandsmart within the past month for under $ 250. different colors were different prices, which made no sense to us !!!

I just mixed 2 loaves of challah in my KA Professional 5 quart. It worked very well, as always. I am happy with it for everything I use it for.

Kitchenaid resorted to using a plastic transmission cover a couple years ago that caused a firestorm of complaints and returns as it was prone to cracking. Since then they have been using a far stronger aluminum one. I have a brand spanking new KA pro 500 that works very well. My old (3 years) Pro 600 cracked it's transmission cover and did some gear damage. Not worth fixing. KA (Whirlpool) has great customer service. Because the KA is always evolving, I would recommend it. If you have room, I would suggest a bowl lift model over a tilting head.

A brand I would definitely stay away from is Viking Professional. It is a Chinese made machine (Made in PRC - Peoples Republic of China). They are generally only available in boutique culinary shops. A lot of these places have very limited return policies. Some will refuse to take back products that have been used even only once. If you need warranty work done, Viking forwards the call to a repair shop in Detroit, Michigan. You will pay an arm and a leg for the machine compared to a KA (usually about $700 Cdn) and their customer service is dreadful. Yes, I am speaking from experience. They don't fare well in tests and reviews either and I know first hand that although they appear rugged, they are overrated.

I know people with Bosch and De Longhi and they love their machines and all the available attachments. I would stick with KA, Bosch or De Longhi for something relatively affordable (300-500 bucks depending where you shop). If price is no object and you want a real multi use machine, say for mixing concrete, a Hobart is incomparable.

In my experience with any of the affordable machines that I mentioned, it is important to be true to the recipe and follow the manufacturers guidelines with regard to dough hook speed. Making dough is a real test of a machines abilities, especially pizza and bagel doughs. Until you get used to the machine, I wouldn't go to far from it while it's operating. It's fairly easy to overload these machines and you will need to be there to shut it off quickly if you do. If not, you can do some serious damage.

Happy bargain hunting.

Last edited:
Just had to add one more thing. Don't use the advertised wattage on the machine as a guideline to it's strength. I believe they use these numbers to suck people in. The wattage is the power CONSUMED by the motor, not the output. You can have a 500 watt motor that puts out more torque than a 700 watt one. My 575 watt KitchenAid can do everything a 1000w Viking Pro can and a little bit more. Yes, I tested them side by side.

I'm with Leolady on this. I have used Hobart KA and really liked them. Lucked into a Hobart N-50 5 qt. and it rocks steady.

Yes, the new N-50s are expensive.

But..........a good used N-50 will only cost you between $300 and $600 and will out last a KA by decades.

If you are smart enough to not let the finish on a well loved machine bother you, you could probably buy one a lot cheaper. After all, beauty is what beauty does.....that's what wise men say.

I paid $8 for my N-50 (bare mixer) in a thrift store, and dressed it, flat beater, dough hook & whisk, 2 bowls PLUS! a copper liner bowl (meringue...yum!) for about $260, I think. Certainly not more than. Plus a meatgrinder (ebay) and a grainmill (gift) and a rotoslicer (thrift). Beaters from Hobart, bowls from eBay and copper liner from CraigsList. It does happen. And my old 2 piece KA splatter shield fits perfect. I may have even posted a brag pic somewhere on DC.

I just splurged and bought another N-50 off Ebay for $99 plus shipping.

This is a special N-50 because it is one of the ones who still had the KA model G body! I have a KA manual dated March 1947 which shows an illustration of this particular style N-50.

img_708097_0_70599b8aac33b65df37dc617828c3a67.jpg

img_708097_1_c1c515c70d5abde3734aa12ed9d991df.jpg

Compare it to my October 1947 official first run N-50.

img_708097_2_37d15e2cbd3a617f9414ef0d8eafb723.jpg

Cool mixer and great vintage accessories gadzooks!

Cool Cuisinart too!

I guess we are great examples of buying champagne on a beer budget.

Haha! That's my $7 kweez dlc 7. I just picked up another one for $15. Nice to have a second work bowl...a real stove is next.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom