"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 07-15-2008, 08:08 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Looking for stand mixer for bread dough

Trying to find a very good stand mixer for bread dough and cookie dough. Only serious cooks please reply. I need a mixer that has been throughly used and can be highly recommended.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:39 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Serious cooks? No fun ones?
Kitchen Aid.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
Cook

Serious ? Never, life's no fun that way. My Kitchen Aid 6 QT has served me well from grinding meat, making pie crust, tomato puree, meringue, mayonnaise, and everything else that I've thrown at it. Let me tell you the strawberry puree, on top of the Angel Food cake, with the drizzled sugar icing is to die for.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #4
Sous Chef

How much cooky dough and how much bread dough? I'm happy with my Sunbean for cookies, but for bread I stick with my DAK as it mixes, kneads, and even has a nice controlled temperate place to rise in there.

You need a really strong mixer for bread dough, especially if you're making a lot of it. You don't want to wear out a mixer over a few years.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
Head Chef

I have used my 41/2 quart Kitchen aid now for over twenty years bread dough shredding cabbage, making ALL of my own sausage. Never once had a problem
I think Cuisinart has a heavy duty mixer and there is one called viking that is supposed ????? to be heavy duty I have read some reviews that were not favorable
Old 07-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Have had my nice big KitchenAid for nearly 30 years. Can't even count the loaves of bread that's come out of its bowl. Wouldn't trade it for the world.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I have a Kitchen Aid 6 qt. and it has never failed me when making bread dough. I'm careful not to go above the recommended speed for dough and so far, I've never had a problem with it over heating or the motor straining.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
Sous Chef

I'm not so sure the recent mixers are as good as the Oldies. I have heard bad things about the ones more recently made and purchased.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I have had a new KA for 2 years and use it very, very often for everything. I have not had a problem of any kind and highly recommend the KA product.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:47 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb D View Post
Trying to find a very good stand mixer for bread dough and cookie dough. Only serious cooks please reply. I need a mixer that has been throughly used and can be highly recommended.
My 6-qt KitchenAid hasn't failed me in the 12 years I've been using it to make bread almost every week. I've also used it to grind meat, make sausage, pasta, grate/shred vegeatables and cheese, etc. Although the KA is only rated for home use - you'll probably find more of them in use in commercial kitchens than any other brand. For a small table-top stand mixer - the next best would be a Hobart N-50 5-qt which is a commercial grade mixer.

If you want something a little more substantial for commercial use (can be used both as a counter-top or floor stand) mixer - I had a Hobart D300 mixer that worked flawlessly - but it's not as cheap (you might be able to find a used one for about $1,500). Bread, pizza dough, cookies ...

Are you looking for home use or commercial use? Your intended use is probably more important than anything else when it comes to trying to recommend something for you.