Looking for stand mixer for bread dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb D

Assistant Cook
Trying to find a very good stand mixer for bread dough and cookie dough. Only serious cooks please reply. I need a mixer that has been throughly used and can be highly recommended.:ermm:

Serious ? Never, life's no fun that way. My Kitchen Aid 6 QT has served me well from grinding meat, making pie crust, tomato puree, meringue, mayonnaise, and everything else that I've thrown at it. Let me tell you the strawberry puree, on top of the Angel Food cake, with the drizzled sugar icing is to die for.:)

Last edited:
How much cooky dough and how much bread dough? I'm happy with my Sunbean for cookies, but for bread I stick with my DAK as it mixes, kneads, and even has a nice controlled temperate place to rise in there.

You need a really strong mixer for bread dough, especially if you're making a lot of it. You don't want to wear out a mixer over a few years.

I have used my 41/2 quart Kitchen aid now for over twenty years bread dough shredding cabbage, making ALL of my own sausage. Never once had a problem
I think Cuisinart has a heavy duty mixer and there is one called viking that is supposed ????? to be heavy duty I have read some reviews that were not favorable

I have a Kitchen Aid 6 qt. and it has never failed me when making bread dough. I'm careful not to go above the recommended speed for dough and so far, I've never had a problem with it over heating or the motor straining.

I'm not so sure the recent mixers are as good as the Oldies. I have heard bad things about the ones more recently made and purchased.

I have had a new KA for 2 years and use it very, very often for everything. I have not had a problem of any kind and highly recommend the KA product.

Trying to find a very good stand mixer for bread dough and cookie dough. Only serious cooks please reply. I need a mixer that has been throughly used and can be highly recommended.:ermm:

My 6-qt KitchenAid hasn't failed me in the 12 years I've been using it to make bread almost every week. I've also used it to grind meat, make sausage, pasta, grate/shred vegeatables and cheese, etc. Although the KA is only rated for home use - you'll probably find more of them in use in commercial kitchens than any other brand. For a small table-top stand mixer - the next best would be a Hobart N-50 5-qt which is a commercial grade mixer.

If you want something a little more substantial for commercial use (can be used both as a counter-top or floor stand) mixer - I had a Hobart D300 mixer that worked flawlessly - but it's not as cheap (you might be able to find a used one for about $1,500). Bread, pizza dough, cookies ...

img_646765_0_b7532d710f89e7e57e1e6aa15174ba4d.jpg

Are you looking for home use or commercial use? Your intended use is probably more important than anything else when it comes to trying to recommend something for you.

I also have a KitchenAid Pro 5 Plus. It has really served me well. It mixes so quickly and efficiently, that I overmixed in the beginning when I first got it... not realizing that it didn't take that much time or effort.

;) no serious folks here:LOL:

Kitchen aid IF the mixer says Hobart on the side. Whirlpool has made Kitchen Aid since 1986 and the quality has suffered in my experience. Try to find a pre-1986 Hobart Kitchen Aid and you will be set for life

I have owned a Bosch compact mixer for a few months now and have been very pleased with it. It is just the right size for myself and my wife and the usual attatchments are available. It will mix six pounds of dough at a time. The beauty part is that you can fold it up and put it away. If you need more than that they do make larger models. The mixer and bowl are plastic, which I don't see as a problem as I will not be throwing it or running over it with a car. Remember that ALL manufacturers over time either raise prices or lower quality. Or both. As long as you don't expect a 300 dollar mixer to perform as well as a 600 dollar mixer I'm sure you'll find one that's right for you.

I adore the vintage Hobart Kitchenaid mixers as well as the smaller 5 and 10qt Hobart commercial mixers.

IMHO, the Hobart mixers are the best of the best.

Back
Top Bottom