"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 06-25-2010, 01:42 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Looking for the perfect hand blender!

Hey, I am looking for a hand blender for my mum...and yes, I know it seems to be an awful present, but she really wants one! ...can you recommend one to me? Which ones are you using??Thanks!!

Old 06-25-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

I rather meant a kind of electric wand-shaped device with a blender blade at the bottom. To make soup or blended fruit drinks...sorry, Im not a pro on this.. :-)

Old 06-25-2010, 05:40 AM   #3
Master Chef

I think you mean this...Amazon.com: submersible blender

I bought one several years ago on a whim and since I never owned one I didn't want to spend a lot of money and it has been a real workhorse. I use it for so many things. Mine is a Black & Decker. I'm fond of Cuisinart and KitchenAid brands also.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
Senior Cook

I have a Braun. I make a Mexican borracho sauce that calls for tomatoes, onions, and three kinds of peppers. The recipe says to put the hot sauce in a blender and puree it, but it's so much easier to use my stick blender right in the pan I cook the sauce in. It wasn't expensive and it doesn't take much space and it's really worth having.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

I have a 200 watt Braun with attachments that I bought for under $30.00 years ago and it's great. If Mom is just going to puree sauces and soups, etc. there's no need to spend big bucks for a more powerful one. But you can if you like. The business end on mine twists off the motor and can go into the dishwasher.

I recommend going with a well known brand such as Braun or Cuisinart (to mention two).
Old 06-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

I have a Braun and really like it. Like Andy's, the end of mine twists off and can go in the dishwasher which is very handy. Mine had a cord, but others are cordless. If your mom's kitchen has outlets conveniently placed then a cord is OK, but if she has to carry a huge pot of heavy hot soup across the kitchen to get to a plug then a cordless may be a better option.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Oh and an easy way to clean these, especially if you get one that can't go in the dishwasher, is to take a clean container and put in some hot water and a few drops of dish soap and then use the blender to blend the soapy liquid. Viola, it is now clean.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I had a cheaper one that had a plastic end, but didn't care for it. I recently bought a Cuisinart, with detachable end and it's metal, love it. It also has some attachments that I have not purchased, like a whip.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:41 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

In all the years I've had a hand blender I've never used any of the attachments. Is that weird?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:42 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Mine came with a number of attachments. The only one I have used is the whisk. I have used it maybe once or twice.