Looking for the perfect hand blender!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

domenist

Assistant Cook
Hey, I am looking for a hand blender for my mum...:)and yes, I know it seems to be an awful present, but she really wants one! :angel:...can you recommend one to me? Which ones are you using??Thanks!!

I rather meant a kind of electric wand-shaped device with a blender blade at the bottom. To make soup or blended fruit drinks...sorry, I´m not a pro on this.. :)

I have a Braun. I make a Mexican borracho sauce that calls for tomatoes, onions, and three kinds of peppers. The recipe says to put the hot sauce in a blender and puree it, but it's so much easier to use my stick blender right in the pan I cook the sauce in. It wasn't expensive and it doesn't take much space and it's really worth having.

I have a 200 watt Braun with attachments that I bought for under $30.00 years ago and it's great. If Mom is just going to puree sauces and soups, etc. there's no need to spend big bucks for a more powerful one. But you can if you like. The business end on mine twists off the motor and can go into the dishwasher.

I recommend going with a well known brand such as Braun or Cuisinart (to mention two).

I have a Braun and really like it. Like Andy's, the end of mine twists off and can go in the dishwasher which is very handy. Mine had a cord, but others are cordless. If your mom's kitchen has outlets conveniently placed then a cord is OK, but if she has to carry a huge pot of heavy hot soup across the kitchen to get to a plug then a cordless may be a better option.

Oh and an easy way to clean these, especially if you get one that can't go in the dishwasher, is to take a clean container and put in some hot water and a few drops of dish soap and then use the blender to blend the soapy liquid. Viola, it is now clean.

I had a cheaper one that had a plastic end, but didn't care for it. I recently bought a Cuisinart, with detachable end and it's metal, love it. It also has some attachments that I have not purchased, like a whip.

In all the years I've had a hand blender I've never used any of the attachments. Is that weird?

Mine came with a number of attachments. The only one I have used is the whisk. I have used it maybe once or twice.

I also have the Cuisinart stainless model and it is fantastic. It has the chopper attachment which I managed to break. I also have the whisk and it is really handy when I am whipping the egg whites to fold into my waffle batter. It is also great for whipping cream, it whips really fast.

I had a Braun for over 15 years and it was a workhorse, it didn't have the detachable bottom. This thing would even crush ice! It was still working when I gave it to a friend.

My mom has brought two from Wal-Mart, they were both plastic and after a little use the head tries to fall off while in use! I haven't owned one of the nice metal ones (I really want to get one soon) but they seem to be really well made. Just make sure if you want it to last long don't get a plastic one!

Also you may not know this but you can also whip cream with it.

Hope this helps!

I have a Braun 200 watt and a Braun 300 watt 2 speed, both from thrift stores, and both work great. When I host the shelter, I always make breakfast in the morning, including scrambled eggs (some with chorizo). If you want to scramble eggs for twenty guests in a hurry, these things can't be beat. I have the whisk head for the 200 watt model, but seldom use it. These Braun's both have plastic bodies and shafts, and I have had zero problems with either.

Stick blenders with metal heads will destroy the non-stick coating on non-stick pans, and will badly scratch stainless steel and enamel pans.

The more powerful the motor is in the blender, the more difficult it is to use properly in a saucepan as it should be used in a figure of eight pattern, and can "run away" from the direction you are using it if you're not careful.

I have a collection of cheapo stick blenders, a couple with whisks and also small chopping containers that the motor part just clicks on to, and the only stick blender I have had to chuck out was an expensive one with a steel head.

[The reason for having more than one is to enable me to keep different ones for different foods, so I don't run the risk of possibly tainting anything.]

I use a small kitchen aid hand mixer. It's great because it has seven different speeds and since it's small it's easy to store. And the plus side...it's pink!

I have a Kitchenaid immersion blender that is great for pureeing soups & sauces right in the pan--it's super easy to clean, the bottom just pops off and goes in the dishwasher. It takes up little space in the pantry, too. I love it!

I don't understand this.
I keep strict Kashrut therefore a stick blender that has been used with anything dairy cannot be used for, say, blending chicken soup, and vice versa.

I also have one that is parve, ie isn't used for anything either dairy or meat, such as blending vegetable soups.

Back
Top Bottom