"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I have the French door style, too, and I love it. It's nice for when you need to store something large, like a party platter, and I like the wide meat and cheese drawer (that's how I use it) with a movable divider.

To try to keep the freezer organized, I put store-bought frozen stuff on the left, homemade frozen stuff on the right, and breads, pastries, nuts, etc., on the shelf next to the ice maker. Fortunately, I also have a fridge/freezer in the sun room and I put meats, homemade stock/broth and big things like corn husks out there.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:23 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I have the French door style, too, and I love it. It's nice for when you need to store something large, like a party platter, and I like the wide meat and cheese drawer (that's how I use it) with a movable divider.

To try to keep the freezer organized, I put store-bought frozen stuff on the left, homemade frozen stuff on the right, and breads, pastries, nuts, etc., on the shelf next to the ice maker. Fortunately, I also have a fridge/freezer in the sun room and I put meats, homemade stock/broth and big things like corn husks out there.

Thanks for the tips.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:24 AM   #13
Master Chef

I have a love/hate relationship with my French door style refrigerator. Love the 2-doors-and-a-drawer, hate LG. Had a miriade of issues with it holding the temps while it was under the manufacturer's warranty - soft-serve ice cream anyone? Once it rolled over to the extended warranty it was fixed. They had to replace the condenser. Sometimes my bat ears hear a ticking, but at least the temps stay spot-on.

Dawg, when I store items in the freezer drawer I treat items like file folders. I'll lay food flat until it freezes solid, then slide it in to the spot for that type of food. I do put soups/stocks into plastic containers and store them in the upper tray, but I even know of someone who freezes soups in freezer bags, freezes flat, and then "files" the soups in the drawer. Storing things vertically make it easier to pull out just one item - the one you need.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:33 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I have a love/hate relationship with my French door style refrigerator. Love the 2-doors-and-a-drawer, hate LG. Had a miriade of issues with it holding the temps while it was under the manufacturer's warranty - soft-serve ice cream anyone? Once it rolled over to the extended warranty it was fixed. They had to replace the condenser. Sometimes my bat ears hear a ticking, but at least the temps stay spot-on.

Dawg, when I store items in the freezer drawer I treat items like file folders. I'll lay food flat until it freezes solid, then slide it in to the spot for that type of food. I do put soups/stocks into plastic containers and store them in the upper tray, but I even know of someone who freezes soups in freezer bags, freezes flat, and then "files" the soups in the drawer. Storing things vertically make it easier to pull out just one item - the one you need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Our current fridge is 14+ years old and starting to have some problems. I just priced a set of door gaskets. Over $200 for rubber gaskets. Couple that with age, ice maker and lighting issues and I'm ready.

SO and I like the french door style. The kitchen has all black appliances so I'll stick with that. We have to go with a fairly small unit as it has to fit into a spot in our kitchen.

I really didn't want to spend the money but we both like unspoiled foods.
Geesh, you two are such picky, picky eaters.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:35 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Geesh, you two are such picky, picky eaters.
Spike has told me that LG is the worst appliance company on the market. He has some nasty saying that the initials stand for. I wish I could remember them.

Well, so much for multiple quotes. That didn't go to well. I really screwed that up.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:40 AM   #16
Certified Cake Maniac

We are shopping for one too, Andy (and a stove - they are about the same age and both going). I have to have a fridge on top model as I just can't bend down as well as I used to and a lot of stuff goes bad because ours is so deep and it gets caught at the back on the bottom. The freezer on the bottom is okay because I don't use it as much. We are looking at models that have the sliding tray in the freezer so some stuff can be higher. Whether we go for french or a singer door, I am not sure.

We like both LG (our new washer/dryer are from them) and Samsung.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:42 AM   #17
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Spike has told me that LG is the worst appliance company on the market. He has some nasty saying that the initials stand for. I wish I could remember them.

Well, so much for multiple quotes. That didn't go to well. I really screwed that up.
I just mentioned LG and then saw this. We did a lot of research before buying the washer and dryer and found most of it favourable. Whether it is the same with fridges I don't know. The research was with Consumer Reports, the stores and people we know.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:54 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Spike has told me that LG is the worst appliance company on the market. He has some nasty saying that the initials stand for. I wish I could remember them..
I just say mine stands for "Lousy Garbage".
Old 08-06-2014, 03:59 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I just mentioned LG and then saw this. We did a lot of research before buying the washer and dryer and found most of it favourable. Whether it is the same with fridges I don't know. The research was with Consumer Reports, the stores and people we know.
I did my research after I bought mine - so unlike me. The refrigerator reviews were not good, especially in reference to their service. We've been very pleased with the Bosch appliances we have (washer and dishwasher). I was happy with their spark plugs in my '71 VW, so I thought I'd give them a chance with the washer. So happy we didn't even look much at other dishwashers when #1 died. Don't think they've been making 'fridges for long though, so I don't know how reliable they would be.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:29 AM   #20
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I did my research after I bought mine - so unlike me. The refrigerator reviews were not good, especially in reference to their service. We've been very pleased with the Bosch appliances we have (washer and dishwasher). I was happy with their spark plugs in my '71 VW, so I thought I'd give them a chance with the washer. So happy we didn't even look much at other dishwashers when #1 died. Don't think they've been making 'fridges for long though, so I don't know how reliable they would be.
Yes, I have to admit the reviews for LG fridges are not as good as for their washers and dryers. We are thinking we may just stick to good old Kenmore (Sears) or try Samsung for our fridge. But we are trying to decide if we do a full kitchen remodel or just piece by piece.