"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Andy, as I mentioned before, I wasn't willing to give up freezer space to an icemaker.

We are more than pleased with this solution. We put it in the garage to save counter space, but it's quite good looking and very efficient.

AI-100R NewAir Red Compact Portable Icemaker With 28 lb Ice Capacity

Thanks for pointing out that option but I don't think it's right for us. I will compromise and skip the in door ice and water dispenser.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:03 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I did my research after I bought mine - so unlike me. The refrigerator reviews were not good, especially in reference to their service. We've been very pleased with the Bosch appliances we have (washer and dishwasher). I was happy with their spark plugs in my '71 VW, so I thought I'd give them a chance with the washer. So happy we didn't even look much at other dishwashers when #1 died. Don't think they've been making 'fridges for long though, so I don't know how reliable they would be.
I hate my Bosch dishwasher. I had a new-ish cheap and cheerful Beko full-sized one at the other house but there wasn't room for it in the kitchen here so I thought I would go for high-end and bought a narrow Bosch. It's awful. It's supposed to hold 10 place settings. Yes, it probably does but even without plates, etc., it won't fit saucepans and mixing bowls because it doesn't have a removable plate rack which both my previous ones had, and there's no room for wine glasses even when the top basket is set on the low runners and the build quality is far inferior to the old Beko . I suppose I should have noticed this before I bought it but it doesn't wash very well either and I couldn't have known that.

Old 08-06-2014, 03:13 PM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I bought a used fridge from a very nice place, many moons ago. The guy who owned it always pulled out the ice makers out of any fridges that had them before selling. He was tired of the complaints, because ice makers break so easily.

Roll_Bones, I have seen documentaries that say a top freezer is a dumb idea. Heat rises, so it heats up the freezer (not much, but measurably). The drawer freezer at the bottom doesn't "lose as much cold" when opened as the door at the top. The cold air tends to settle in a drawer and fall out of the freezer with a door.
And it's more efficient to have the part you use most often (ie the 'fridge) on top and the freezer which you open less frequently at the bottom.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:46 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have a Kenmore portable dishwasher. It's the narrow size. It sounded like a good idea for just two people. We paid extra for it to be smaller. It doesn't fit pots and pans very well. It's a nuisance. The best thing about it is that I use it as a movable island.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:55 PM   #35
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I thought my 5 year old 'fridge had had it when I found puddles of water on the floor until I traced the source to a blockage in the drain hole at the back. Got a piece of thin wire and gently poked around a bit, brought up a lump of gunge and all has been well since.
Thanks. I'll check that, as well as Craig's suggestion to inspect the solenoid.

I haven't even pulled it away from the wall yet. There is exactly 1/4 inch of space on each side where it fits tightly into its alcove, so I usually have to enlist the aid of the big guy who lives next door to wrestle it out.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Steve. There are wheels on the back and if you are on a smooth surface, you may be able to pull it out yourself.
I can easily pull ours out myself.

There is no drain on our fridge that can be seen.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:35 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Steve. There are wheels on the back and if you are on a smooth surface, you may be able to pull it out yourself.
I can easily pull ours out myself.

There is no drain on our fridge that can be seen.
My Maytag is on rollers so it's easy to pull out of its slot for cleaning, etc.

QUESTION: This fridge used to have a working ice maker connected to the water supply with a coil of flexible copper tubing. When it failed for the last time, I disconnected the tubing from the fridge and just left it back there.
Will flushing it out with running water be adequate to clean it for ice cube making? The other end is still connected to the water supply.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #38
Master Chef

Andy, where does the other end of that line connect? We have a wall-installed valve about 4 feet off the floor that runs the line to our icemaker. If we disconnect it from the fridge, the water drains out. Himself said if the line runs from the lower level and the water has stayed in the line he would blow the water out and sterilize it before reconnecting. If I had my choice I would just replace - copper or plastic, your choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
...I haven't even pulled it away from the wall yet. There is exactly 1/4 inch of space on each side where it fits tightly into its alcove, so I usually have to enlist the aid of the big guy who lives next door to wrestle it out.
Steve, even I can pull my fridge out by myself because it's on wheels. I can't remember any refrigerator we've owned (since 1977) that didn't have wheels. Man up boy! No offense
Old 08-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #39
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
...Himself said if the line runs from the lower level and the water has stayed in the line he would blow the water out and sterilize it before reconnecting. If I had my choice I would just replace - copper or plastic, your choice...
It runs up from the basement. I guess I'd better disconnect it and sterilize it. I'll look into what kind of line a new fridge takes before I do anything.

Thank your hubby for me.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #40
Master Chef

Will do. Glad he could help.