Looks Like I'll be Refrigerator Shopping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Our current fridge is 14+ years old and starting to have some problems. I just priced a set of door gaskets. Over $200 for rubber gaskets. Couple that with age, ice maker and lighting issues and I'm ready.

SO and I like the french door style. The kitchen has all black appliances so I'll stick with that. We have to go with a fairly small unit as it has to fit into a spot in our kitchen.

I really didn't want to spend the money but we both like unspoiled foods.

Sorry about yer fridge. I have a french door style and like it. You will need to consider if you want a model with ice and water in the door. The ones with the icemaker in the freezer (open freezer to get ice) have more fridge capacity...

Until I saw this was in the appliances section, I thought you were fridge diving for dinner. Man that sucks and can sure put a dent in the wallet.:(

I love the French doors, but the freezer at the bottom was problematic for me. My kitchen is super tiny, so I went with the standard fridge. In retrospect, I really wish I had gone with the side by side fridge as it's impossible for anyone to go to the pantry when the regular sized door is open in my teensy, little kitchen.

I like the French doors as well but not keen on the freezer on the bottom. When my current one is ready for the dump, I'll probably stick with standard set up freezer on top. My in-laws had a side by side in their home and I really hated trying to find stuff in it. It seemed really small on both sides.

We got a French door with freezer on the bottom that also had to fit in a particular space. I have mixed feelings. It seemed like our previous fridge was roomier. I also have a tendency to "lose" stuff in the freezer drawer.

I have one door on top, and the freezer on the bottom. I'd never again have the freezer on top as I love having my fresh food handy. I wasn't willing to give up any freezer room for an ice maker in there, so we purchased a separate portable ice maker for the garage. It's about the size of a breadmaker. We simply refill the ice bin for freezer from that. We're very happy with the set up.
Here's a recent picture from another thread...
img_1378913_0_47cd9476986f364be5eff0756a553214.jpg

Last edited:
Our current fridge is 14+ years old and starting to have some problems.
I hear ya. Mine's about the same age. Lately, the ice maker has developed a slow leak that requires periodic cleanup. If we go out of town for a few days I usually come back to a little puddle on the floor. I'll be darned if I can find the leak, though.

We got this refrigerator free as part of a rewards program from a company I used to work for, along with the stove and microwave oven. They're all the same brand (Kitchenaid) and from the same product line, so it's hard to retire one appliance without retiring them all.

So for now, I keep dealing with the drip until it gets to the point where frustration edges out inconvenience.

I hear ya. Mine's about the same age. Lately, the ice maker has developed a slow leak that requires periodic cleanup. If we go out of town for a few days I usually come back to a little puddle on the floor. I'll be darned if I can find the leak, though.

We got this refrigerator free as part of a rewards program from a company I used to work for, along with the stove and microwave oven. They're all the same brand (Kitchenaid) and from the same product line, so it's hard to retire one appliance without retiring them all.

So for now, I keep dealing with the drip until it gets to the point where frustration edges out inconvenience.

Steve it could be the solenoid that controls the water flow. If it is leaking by, you won't find an external leak.

I have the French door style, too, and I love it. It's nice for when you need to store something large, like a party platter, and I like the wide meat and cheese drawer (that's how I use it) with a movable divider.

To try to keep the freezer organized, I put store-bought frozen stuff on the left, homemade frozen stuff on the right, and breads, pastries, nuts, etc., on the shelf next to the ice maker. Fortunately, I also have a fridge/freezer in the sun room and I put meats, homemade stock/broth and big things like corn husks out there.

I have the French door style, too, and I love it. It's nice for when you need to store something large, like a party platter, and I like the wide meat and cheese drawer (that's how I use it) with a movable divider.

To try to keep the freezer organized, I put store-bought frozen stuff on the left, homemade frozen stuff on the right, and breads, pastries, nuts, etc., on the shelf next to the ice maker. Fortunately, I also have a fridge/freezer in the sun room and I put meats, homemade stock/broth and big things like corn husks out there.

Thanks for the tips.

I have a love/hate relationship with my French door style refrigerator. Love the 2-doors-and-a-drawer, hate LG. Had a miriade of issues with it holding the temps while it was under the manufacturer's warranty - soft-serve ice cream anyone? Once it rolled over to the extended warranty it was fixed. They had to replace the condenser. Sometimes my bat ears hear a ticking, but at least the temps stay spot-on.

Dawg, when I store items in the freezer drawer I treat items like file folders. I'll lay food flat until it freezes solid, then slide it in to the spot for that type of food. I do put soups/stocks into plastic containers and store them in the upper tray, but I even know of someone who freezes soups in freezer bags, freezes flat, and then "files" the soups in the drawer. Storing things vertically make it easier to pull out just one item - the one you need.

I have a love/hate relationship with my French door style refrigerator. Love the 2-doors-and-a-drawer, hate LG. Had a miriade of issues with it holding the temps while it was under the manufacturer's warranty - soft-serve ice cream anyone? Once it rolled over to the extended warranty it was fixed. They had to replace the condenser. Sometimes my bat ears hear a ticking, but at least the temps stay spot-on.

Dawg, when I store items in the freezer drawer I treat items like file folders. I'll lay food flat until it freezes solid, then slide it in to the spot for that type of food. I do put soups/stocks into plastic containers and store them in the upper tray, but I even know of someone who freezes soups in freezer bags, freezes flat, and then "files" the soups in the drawer. Storing things vertically make it easier to pull out just one item - the one you need.

Our current fridge is 14+ years old and starting to have some problems. I just priced a set of door gaskets. Over $200 for rubber gaskets. Couple that with age, ice maker and lighting issues and I'm ready.

SO and I like the french door style. The kitchen has all black appliances so I'll stick with that. We have to go with a fairly small unit as it has to fit into a spot in our kitchen.

I really didn't want to spend the money but we both like unspoiled foods.

;) :LOL: Geesh, you two are such picky, picky eaters. :angel:

;) :LOL: Geesh, you two are such picky, picky eaters. :angel:

Spike has told me that LG is the worst appliance company on the market. He has some nasty saying that the initials stand for. I wish I could remember them.

Well, so much for multiple quotes. That didn't go to well. I really screwed that up. :angel:

Last edited:
We are shopping for one too, Andy (and a stove - they are about the same age and both going). I have to have a fridge on top model as I just can't bend down as well as I used to and a lot of stuff goes bad because ours is so deep and it gets caught at the back on the bottom. The freezer on the bottom is okay because I don't use it as much. We are looking at models that have the sliding tray in the freezer so some stuff can be higher. Whether we go for french or a singer door, I am not sure.

We like both LG (our new washer/dryer are from them) and Samsung.

Spike has told me that LG is the worst appliance company on the market. He has some nasty saying that the initials stand for. I wish I could remember them.

Well, so much for multiple quotes. That didn't go to well. I really screwed that up. :angel:

I just mentioned LG and then saw this. We did a lot of research before buying the washer and dryer and found most of it favourable. Whether it is the same with fridges I don't know. The research was with Consumer Reports, the stores and people we know.

I just mentioned LG and then saw this. We did a lot of research before buying the washer and dryer and found most of it favourable. Whether it is the same with fridges I don't know. The research was with Consumer Reports, the stores and people we know.
I did my research after I bought mine - so unlike me. The refrigerator reviews were not good, especially in reference to their service. We've been very pleased with the Bosch appliances we have (washer and dishwasher). I was happy with their spark plugs in my '71 VW, so I thought I'd give them a chance with the washer. :LOL: So happy we didn't even look much at other dishwashers when #1 died. Don't think they've been making 'fridges for long though, so I don't know how reliable they would be.

I did my research after I bought mine - so unlike me. The refrigerator reviews were not good, especially in reference to their service. We've been very pleased with the Bosch appliances we have (washer and dishwasher). I was happy with their spark plugs in my '71 VW, so I thought I'd give them a chance with the washer. :LOL: So happy we didn't even look much at other dishwashers when #1 died. Don't think they've been making 'fridges for long though, so I don't know how reliable they would be.
Yes, I have to admit the reviews for LG fridges are not as good as for their washers and dryers. We are thinking we may just stick to good old Kenmore (Sears) or try Samsung for our fridge. But we are trying to decide if we do a full kitchen remodel or just piece by piece.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom