"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 08-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Looks Like I'll be Refrigerator Shopping

Our current fridge is 14+ years old and starting to have some problems. I just priced a set of door gaskets. Over $200 for rubber gaskets. Couple that with age, ice maker and lighting issues and I'm ready.

SO and I like the french door style. The kitchen has all black appliances so I'll stick with that. We have to go with a fairly small unit as it has to fit into a spot in our kitchen.

I really didn't want to spend the money but we both like unspoiled foods.

Old 08-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Sorry about yer fridge. I have a french door style and like it. You will need to consider if you want a model with ice and water in the door. The ones with the icemaker in the freezer (open freezer to get ice) have more fridge capacity...

Old 08-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Thanks, Janet.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Until I saw this was in the appliances section, I thought you were fridge diving for dinner. Man that sucks and can sure put a dent in the wallet.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #5
Cupcake

I love the French doors, but the freezer at the bottom was problematic for me. My kitchen is super tiny, so I went with the standard fridge. In retrospect, I really wish I had gone with the side by side fridge as it's impossible for anyone to go to the pantry when the regular sized door is open in my teensy, little kitchen.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
Master Chef

I like the French doors as well but not keen on the freezer on the bottom. When my current one is ready for the dump, I'll probably stick with standard set up freezer on top. My in-laws had a side by side in their home and I really hated trying to find stuff in it. It seemed really small on both sides.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We got a French door with freezer on the bottom that also had to fit in a particular space. I have mixed feelings. It seemed like our previous fridge was roomier. I also have a tendency to "lose" stuff in the freezer drawer.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:20 PM   #8
Master Chef

I have one door on top, and the freezer on the bottom. I'd never again have the freezer on top as I love having my fresh food handy. I wasn't willing to give up any freezer room for an ice maker in there, so we purchased a separate portable ice maker for the garage. It's about the size of a breadmaker. We simply refill the ice bin for freezer from that. We're very happy with the set up.
Here's a recent picture from another thread...

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:37 PM   #9
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Our current fridge is 14+ years old and starting to have some problems.
I hear ya. Mine's about the same age. Lately, the ice maker has developed a slow leak that requires periodic cleanup. If we go out of town for a few days I usually come back to a little puddle on the floor. I'll be darned if I can find the leak, though.

We got this refrigerator free as part of a rewards program from a company I used to work for, along with the stove and microwave oven. They're all the same brand (Kitchenaid) and from the same product line, so it's hard to retire one appliance without retiring them all.

So for now, I keep dealing with the drip until it gets to the point where frustration edges out inconvenience.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I hear ya. Mine's about the same age. Lately, the ice maker has developed a slow leak that requires periodic cleanup. If we go out of town for a few days I usually come back to a little puddle on the floor. I'll be darned if I can find the leak, though.

We got this refrigerator free as part of a rewards program from a company I used to work for, along with the stove and microwave oven. They're all the same brand (Kitchenaid) and from the same product line, so it's hard to retire one appliance without retiring them all.

So for now, I keep dealing with the drip until it gets to the point where frustration edges out inconvenience.
Steve it could be the solenoid that controls the water flow. If it is leaking by, you won't find an external leak.