Machine to make thick slices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omarm

Assistant Cook
First post here!

I need a 'machine' to make thick slices.
I make roasted vegetables and it's a pain slicing and chopping.

I don't want wafer thin slices - but rather thicker, say 0.5cm - 1.5cm (depends on vegetable)

I don't want to use a Mandolin.
I want an electric machine where I can chuck things in and get what I need quickly!

I've seen choppers - not really what I need - things need to be of roughly the same thickness.

Is what I need a food processor with the discs??

I've looked and can't see ones that will make thick enough slices

Any pointers would be great!

Thanks

Omar

Hi, and welcome to Discuss Cooking :) Sorry, but I don't know of anything that can do what you want. There are adjustable meat slicers, but I don't think they would do a good job on roasted vegetables; they're too soft and would just be crushed. Your chef's knife is your best tool for this job.

Outside of meat slicer I have never really seen any machine that will slice that sick. Of course there might be some commercial machines that i am not aware of.

I think I have this exact disk. The instructions tell you to slice the vegis once, then stack them and slice the other way. I might give it a try for fun, but I doubt it is worth doing because of the clean up of an entire food processor afterwards.

Oh I soooo agree Taxi. I hate to clean that thing, that's why it almost always stays where it's stored. ;)

A machine to make thick slices?

chefs-knife.jpg

Why not a mandolin?
A Boerner V slicer will do the thickness you are looking for, the. You just roast. Easy to clean too...

Last edited:
Op is talking an inch thick slices. No mandolin or cuisinart are going to work

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Op is talking an inch thick slices. No mandolin or cuisinart are going to work

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Actually, OP wrote, "I don't want wafer thin slices - but rather thicker, say 0.5cm - 1.5cm (depends on vegetable)"

I doubt that my mandolin or FP is going to do 1.5 cm (0.6 inches), but they will do close to that. Seems awfully thin to me, for roasting vegis.

Welcome!
If you REALLY REALLY want to get thick slices and you don't mind spending more time and energy cleaning the damned machine then just using a sharp knife you can find what you need at any large used restaurant supply store.

Back
Top Bottom