"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 10-17-2006, 11:14 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Let's see.........I can slap you around (I'll run away REAL fast) and I can call you silly (on the run).... I just can't help you with your decision. The agony you are going through is probably why I haven't bought one yet. Go with a good rule of thumb - buy the best you can afford.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:21 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Let's see.........I can slap you around (I'll run away REAL fast) and I can call you silly (on the run).... I just can't help you with your decision. The agony you are going through is probably why I haven't bought one yet. Go with a good rule of thumb - buy the best you can afford.
Well you better be able to run really fast because thats one of my main hobbies :).

Well all kidding aside. I ordered the villaware unit tonight. Since there isn't a lot of information on this until i will definitly write a through review on either here or amazon. If i write the review on amazon then i will link you guys to it.

Old 10-18-2006, 01:57 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Let us know how you like it and a review would be GREAT - also, if you can post some pictures I'd like to see what the different parts are made of...thanks!

Old 10-18-2006, 10:58 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Red face well i found something out.

Just to keep everyone updated. I wandered what was going on with the villaware slicer and why i could not find it very many places. I also wandered why it was not on villaware's web site. I was just afraid that it was being discontinued or something like that. well i called villaware this morning to inquire about it. The very nice lady told me that the slicer is in fact a "new" product. She said it just came out. SHe told me that they are in the process of moving from CA --> MO and once they did that they would be adding the slicer to their web site. Well least the eliminated that fear.

ncage
Old 10-18-2006, 11:01 AM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

That's good to know. Thanks for doing the research.

A generall question for those who have slicers. What kinds of things do you use them for? Do you slice whole cold cuts and cheese? Do you slice cooked roasts? How about bread?

Just wondering what kind of things you use it on and how often you use it.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:01 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
I used mine strictly for slicing cooked roasts, hams, turkey breasts, pastrami, salami, etc. into lunch meat for sandwiches for three of us. I would buy them in bulk at a local restaurant supply store, somewhere between 7 and 15 pounds, depending on what type of meat, slice it up, package it into 2 pound packages, and then freeze all but one package.

I tried cheese a couple of times, but it was too sticky and messy, and the cost savings over pre-sliced cheeses wasn't worth the clean-up time.

Now that there is just me, none of it is worth the effort any more. Easier to just buy it pre-slced, in 2 pound packages, from the same restaurant supply store.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:17 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
That's good to know. Thanks for doing the research.

A generall question for those who have slicers. What kinds of things do you use them for? Do you slice whole cold cuts and cheese? Do you slice cooked roasts? How about bread?

Well i can tell you what i plan to use it. I do a lot of true BBQ (not grilling). I end up grilling a 13 pound brisket and i have a TON left or a pork butt. This would be great to be able to slice it and freeze it in 1 pound increments. I also eat cheese steak sandwiches quite a bit. Trying to freeze the steak and slice it ultra thin is a pain in the butt. Hopefully this will make it easier. I also want to try out cheese. I have no plans to do bread at all.Oh yes i almost forgot. I do french dip/italian beef sandwiches too.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:24 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncage1974
Well i can tell you what i plan to use it. I do a lot of true BBQ (not grilling). I end up grilling a 13 pound brisket and i have a TON left or a pork butt. This would be great to be able to slice it and freeze it in 1 pound increments. I also eat cheese steak sandwiches quite a bit. Trying to freeze the steak and slice it ultra thin is a pain in the butt. Hopefully this will make it easier. I also want to try out cheese. I have no plans to do bread at all.Oh yes i almost forgot. I do french dip/italian beef sandwiches too.
Here's that ol' BBQ thing again! lol Cook your brisket to an internal temp of about 200 degrees F. It will FALL apart and be extremely juicy and much better than sliceable. IMHO of course!

I also used one to slice apples and fresh fennel for a "salad" to serve with grilled salmon - When you have 10 of each to slice a slicer is MUCH better!!!!

Old 10-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Great ideas! Thanks.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:03 AM   #20
Senior Cook

got it......

Well guys i got it today. Its late so i'm not going to write up a long winded review but i'm overall pretty happy with it. The housing is all metal and the machine is pretty hefty. Unfortunatly there is one area that has plastic that id rather be metal but oh well. The gears that drive the blade are plastic. You know the magic chef might be the same way. Ok the motor does seem to be pretty powerful and i took out a frozen ribeye to make cheese steak tonight and i didn't even wait till it thawed. The slicer didn't seem to have any problems. I mean it did slow down a tiny amount but not much considerably speaking. One thing that is awesome about the slicer that your able to control the slice thickness very precisely. I was slicing the steak paper thin with no problem at all. This is SOOOOO much easier than trying to hand slice a steak. Some things i would change about it would be
1) All metal parts
2) titled slightly
3) Even a little bit more motor power (never can have to much)

It did come with two blades and a tray to catch whatever your slicing which is great.

Ok a question. It came with a serrated blade and a non-serrated blade. When slicing when would i use which? Tonght i used the serrated blade because thats what came attached.

ncage.