Meat slicer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The gears should be nylon, if that helps at all.

On most or ALL slicing machines, there is no direct drive or connection between the motor and the slicing blade, so it's either a belt drive or gear drive, and most of them use the gears.

I bought an elcheapo Kenmore meat slicer and the gears are nylon.

~Corey123.

I doubt if the serrated blade is for bread becaue that is all mine came with and I don't do bread in a meat slicer. The serrated blade is so that it stays sharp. As for the non-serrated blade, all I can suggest is RTFM.

Why would you want to slice bread with a meat slicer?

If you want to slice bread, you buy a bread slicer

breadslicer.jpg

electric slicer

People use electric slicers to get thin even slices from bread made in their bread machines. It makes it easier to get sandwich slices from a bread machine loaf.

I have this one. Do I justify the price? well the way I see it you can't take it with you... Do I use it Yes. This is a medium duty slicer and works very well.I will have to say if you have one they come in very handy, for all kinds of slicing.

http://www.katom.com/071-4510.html

I believe the serrated edge of many meat slicers is the same as for the electric knife of home kitchens--it does remain sharp, but the serrated edge also reduces drag on the surface that is being cut, yielding the ability to slice very thin, if desired.

Electric knives use TWO blades.

A rivet is at the opposite end of one and the other blade is hooked onto that one. And they move independantly of each other.

While one moves forward, the other moves backward - similar to the way that you'd use a saw to cut wood.

And yes, they ARE serrated.

Corey123 said:
Commercial meat slicers are usually big, heavy and awkward!

You would only move it IN. You wouldn't put it up after each use. There's nothing really awkward about them. The serrated edge Candocook is talking about cannot be compared to an electric knife. You will NEVER get really thin, neat slices like you can out of commercial meat slicer like the one above. Mutilated thin slices, but never neat thin slices. The two blades are too thick.

Last edited:
I wasn't really suggesting that an electric knife would take the place of a commercial meat slicer. The speed of the blade and the stability of the machine plus all the rest of it makes that in a class by itself.
I was only speaking a quality of a serrated blade that allows a cut to be made in such a way that the item being cut doesn't sag against the blade and have a drag on it. Think about a tomato knife, which is often serrated--or the bread knife or sawing an angel food cake.
Meat slicers are something else entirely.

I cut tomatoes, lettuce, and other veggies. besides meat on my slicer. But I have never tried to cut bread, the slicer will cut up to 5/8 of a inch thick.

Guts said:
If you think 45lbs. is heavy? I have mine on the counter top.

Trust me, 45lbs. IS heavy!

I own and ice maker that weighs that much, along with the small room air conditioner in the bedroom window.

To keep from having to carry these, I keep the ice maker on a 5-tier rack that I bought from Target. The air conditioner stays in the window.

Last edited:
Heh, I used to work in a supermarket Deli... I find these kitchen slicers amusing.

Aren't they a pain to use? I mean, you get two or three slices, then you'd be finished and have to clean it. Why bother?

... Sorry, skewed sense of perception. Trying to map cutting 15Kg of Luncheon for the store to cutting enough for sandwitches at home, and failing.

Quadlex said:
Aren't they a pain to use? I mean, you get two or three slices, then you'd be finished and have to clean it. Why bother?

You don't cut two or three slices, then put it away until the next sandwich! When you worked in the deli, hgow many people came in to buy just enough sliced lunch meat for one sandwich?

You buy a 2 or 3 pound hunk of ham, turkey, roast beef, etc, and you slice up the whole thing, then you package it into individual one pound packages. You put one package in the meat keeper of your refirgerator and freeze the other(s) until you need them.

Back
Top Bottom