"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2007, 05:46 AM   #11
Head Chef

we had a thread on this just last week didn't we? With a chain letter issue? Or am I losing it? LOL..lost it along time ago!

We do not have a microwave in Italy, but we do in London and Somerset. The only things I really use it for is microwave popcorn a few times a year...and very occasionally I melt butter or chocolate in it, but really I mainly use my ho for that sort of thing. I just don't know how I feel about potential health risks, but I do know I don't really enjoy using it, and thts why we will not replace ours (both the UK ones are inherited from previos owners, or my mother). I get that they are conveniant, but I don't just cook fo convenience, and personally I prefer to interact more with the food I am making, or if I am in a rush I eat a fruit or a yogurt or something like that. In the past I used it for defrosting our dog meat and cooking rice, and other odds and ends, but never have really "cooked" with it so much. That said, I accpt this is an entirely personal choice, I don't reject a coffee with microwave heated milk in it, and have had things that other people have made in their microwaves. Its just not for me on several levels other than health though :)

Old 02-19-2007, 05:47 AM   #12
Head Chef

oh, I used to use it for one of those microwavable bean alternative to hot water bottles, which was quite handy I suppose, but the thing never got hot enough for my liking, and then I burnt it and the house stank of burnt porridge and lavender for weeks, pmsl.

Old 02-19-2007, 06:03 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
lets counter anecdotal evidence with Further anecdotal evidence shall we...

Astronauts cost Millions to train, even the EVA suits cost over a million a pop!
their food is all irradiated with Cobalt 60, they don`t have the luxury of an Aga or range, all their stuff is Microwaved. I think if there Really was anything to all this nonsense there would be No risks taken with these Expensive people, do you?

as for Amino acids, you do Far more damage to yourself having stuff of a BBQ or a smoker! Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons are Known carcinogen, and no one bats an eyelid :)

nor do I for that matter, I`ve eaten more than my fair share of BBQ`d foods and burned toast in the past and will continue to do so :)

it would also be really funny to see out of all those that dump thier MW`s for "health reasons" are Cigarette smokers?

I just love Irony! :)
Old 02-19-2007, 11:01 AM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Some people will believe anything and everything they see, hear, and read. That is why tabloids like the National Enquirer are still in business.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:16 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Also Star and Globe.

Is it any wonder why celebrities are always suing them for slanderous and scandelous lies about them?

But yes, I'm sorry, I'm not buying this story unless it comes from the gov't or something like that.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:05 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
Some people will believe anything and everything they see, hear, and read. That is why tabloids like the National Enquirer are still in business.
And please don't forget the bible of all tabloids...The Weekly World News.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #17
Executive Chef

You're right!! Haha!!!!!!!
Old 02-19-2007, 04:03 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I believe microwaves are safe too - but here is a question - is cooking food in plastic in a microwave safe? I don't know, I have heard several theories - what's yours?
Old 02-19-2007, 04:13 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Yes, especially the ones designed and made for use in the microwave.

But be especially careful with foam plates and foam take-out containers! These can start to melt if left in the microwave too long.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:15 PM   #20
Executive Chef

I only use glass in the microwave no plastic or paper of any kind.If Im reduced to eating a frozen dinner I pop it out of what ever container and put it on a glass plate or in a bowl.