"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 02-18-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Microwave ovens harmful to health/food?:

Has anyone in the group ditched their microwave ovens for health reasons?

Hidden Hazards of Microwave Cooking

Microwave Ovens

It appears that people are sacrificing their health for convenience. My wife and I have discussed our microwave ovens and we are both pretty well sold on ditching it and getting a small convection oven.

Any opinions are welcome.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:56 PM   #2
Head Chef

If these articles were right, the public health issues would be so great and the costs to the public purse so enormous that microwave ovens would be banned. That being the case, I shan't be worrying about this scaremongering.

But get an ordinary oven by all means if you don't have one already. Convection ovens cook in a completely different way and so are not interchangeable. Unless it's an issue of space in the kitchen, there's no reason to chuck out your microwave.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Microwaves are safe. I did not read the articles, but just scanned them. i did see something about not using it to heat baby bottles. This is true, but just like any kitchen tool there are right and wrong ways to use them. It does not make the appliance itself unsafe.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:21 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Thank you for the info.

Even though it may be helpful to some;

1. I've owned and used a microwave oven in my home for well over 20 years, and have not suffered any adverse affects from using one.

2. Last winter, I ACTUALLY DID toss out a smaller Panasonic microwave oven, but only because the plastic window had cracked one day while I was cleaning it. But I had that one for 13 years, though it still worked.

Ever heard the phrase One man's junk is another man's treasure? Well, in less than half an hour, someone had picked up the microwave oven and took it home! I imagine that they were so glad to find it!

3. This was after I had just puchased a new larger Kenmore combo microwave oven / toaster.

I've owned it for a year now, and so far, it has served me well. So I just can't see throwing away a perfectly good microve oven.

4. Cancer-causing affects of microwave ovens once became a controversial issue back in the '70s. After much extensive testing, the gov't had dimissed any claims that this was true then.

5. There IS however, a fine mesh screen in the window which helps keep radiation inside within the confines of the oven.

But anyway, mine is used mainly for reheating food, boiling a cup of water for tea or instant coffee and for cooking popcorn.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:26 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

So, how come we are not all suffering from malnutrition?

How come we are not all suffering from terminal diseases?

How come we are not all dead?

BUNK!
Old 02-18-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
Master Chef

I'd be lost without my microwave. I use it for all sorts of food preparation...sauteeing onions and other vegies, precooking meats for casseroles, and simmering sauces (you don't have to worry about your sauce scorching). I make a wonderful cabbage soup that cooks entirely in the nuke.

But I never cook anything in plastic that is not specifically made for the microwave. I've been told that the plastic contaminates the food with some sort of carcinogen. I don't know if that's true, but it's so easy to use glass or stoneware instead.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:33 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I just can't see being without my microwave oven either. And speaking of microwave ovens, I'm about to use it in a few minutes to warm up some frozen Shepards Pie.

Guess I've become pampered and spoiled! Haha!!
Old 02-18-2007, 11:45 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

i skimmed the first "article", and scientifically it's complete crapola. if you read it as someone is trying to sell you their idea, it's pretty obvious that they're not basing their reasons on solid, unrefutable facts. rather, it's scare tactics, using a few unrelated facts and examples that don't back up the arguement unless you want to believe.

yes, cooking blood before transfusing a patient with it is a bad idea. microwaving baby bottles causes hot spots, which are dangerous because it might burn the baby. ok, so don't be a dumbass parent, that's all.

oh, the thing where amino acids are modified; complete crap.

the amount of localized energy produced by a microwave oven isn't close to the amount needed to cause all of the problems that were listed, even if it were the proper type of energy, which it's not. it's not even in the same ballpark. heck, not in the same star system.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 12:00 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i skimmed the first "article", and scientifically it's complete crapola. if you read it as someone is trying to sell you their idea, it's pretty obvious that they're not basing their reasons on solid, unrefuteable facts. rather, it's scare tactics, using a few unrelated facts and examples that don't back up the arguement unless you want to believe.

yes, cooking blood before transfusing a patient with it is a bad idea. microwaving baby bottles causes hot spots, which are dangerous because it might burn the baby. ok, so don't be a dumbass parent, that's all.

oh, the thing where amino acids are modified; complete crap.

the amount of localized energy produced by a microwave oven isn't close to the amount needed to cause all of the problems that were listed, even if it were the proper type of energy, which it's not. it's not even in the same ballpark. heck, not in the same star system.
A and men, bucky!!
Old 02-19-2007, 06:32 AM   #10
Head Chef

You Go, Bucky! Thanks for saying it for me.