Microwave ovens harmful to health/food?:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If these articles were right, the public health issues would be so great and the costs to the public purse so enormous that microwave ovens would be banned. That being the case, I shan't be worrying about this scaremongering.

But get an ordinary oven by all means if you don't have one already. Convection ovens cook in a completely different way and so are not interchangeable. Unless it's an issue of space in the kitchen, there's no reason to chuck out your microwave.

Microwaves are safe. I did not read the articles, but just scanned them. i did see something about not using it to heat baby bottles. This is true, but just like any kitchen tool there are right and wrong ways to use them. It does not make the appliance itself unsafe.

Thank you for the info.

Even though it may be helpful to some;

1. I've owned and used a microwave oven in my home for well over 20 years, and have not suffered any adverse affects from using one.

2. Last winter, I ACTUALLY DID toss out a smaller Panasonic microwave oven, but only because the plastic window had cracked one day while I was cleaning it. But I had that one for 13 years, though it still worked.

Ever heard the phrase One man's junk is another man's treasure? Well, in less than half an hour, someone had picked up the microwave oven and took it home! I imagine that they were so glad to find it!

3. This was after I had just puchased a new larger Kenmore combo microwave oven / toaster.

I've owned it for a year now, and so far, it has served me well. So I just can't see throwing away a perfectly good microve oven.

4. Cancer-causing affects of microwave ovens once became a controversial issue back in the '70s. After much extensive testing, the gov't had dimissed any claims that this was true then.

5. There IS however, a fine mesh screen in the window which helps keep radiation inside within the confines of the oven.

But anyway, mine is used mainly for reheating food, boiling a cup of water for tea or instant coffee and for cooking popcorn.

Last edited:
So, how come we are not all suffering from malnutrition?

How come we are not all suffering from terminal diseases?

How come we are not all dead?

BUNK!

I'd be lost without my microwave. I use it for all sorts of food preparation...sauteeing onions and other vegies, precooking meats for casseroles, and simmering sauces (you don't have to worry about your sauce scorching). I make a wonderful cabbage soup that cooks entirely in the nuke.

But I never cook anything in plastic that is not specifically made for the microwave. I've been told that the plastic contaminates the food with some sort of carcinogen. I don't know if that's true, but it's so easy to use glass or stoneware instead.

I just can't see being without my microwave oven either. And speaking of microwave ovens, I'm about to use it in a few minutes to warm up some frozen Shepards Pie.

Guess I've become pampered and spoiled! Haha!!:cool:

Last edited:
i skimmed the first "article", and scientifically it's complete crapola. if you read it as someone is trying to sell you their idea, it's pretty obvious that they're not basing their reasons on solid, unrefutable facts. rather, it's scare tactics, using a few unrelated facts and examples that don't back up the arguement unless you want to believe.

yes, cooking blood before transfusing a patient with it is a bad idea. microwaving baby bottles causes hot spots, which are dangerous because it might burn the baby. ok, so don't be a dumbass parent, that's all.

oh, the thing where amino acids are modified; complete crap.

the amount of localized energy produced by a microwave oven isn't close to the amount needed to cause all of the problems that were listed, even if it were the proper type of energy, which it's not. it's not even in the same ballpark. heck, not in the same star system.

Last edited:
buckytom said:
i skimmed the first "article", and scientifically it's complete crapola. if you read it as someone is trying to sell you their idea, it's pretty obvious that they're not basing their reasons on solid, unrefuteable facts. rather, it's scare tactics, using a few unrelated facts and examples that don't back up the arguement unless you want to believe.

yes, cooking blood before transfusing a patient with it is a bad idea. microwaving baby bottles causes hot spots, which are dangerous because it might burn the baby. ok, so don't be a dumbass parent, that's all.

oh, the thing where amino acids are modified; complete crap.

the amount of localized energy produced by a microwave oven isn't close to the amount needed to cause all of the problems that were listed, even if it were the proper type of energy, which it's not. it's not even in the same ballpark. heck, not in the same star system.

A and men, bucky!!

we had a thread on this just last week didn't we? With a chain letter issue? Or am I losing it? LOL..lost it along time ago!

We do not have a microwave in Italy, but we do in London and Somerset. The only things I really use it for is microwave popcorn a few times a year...and very occasionally I melt butter or chocolate in it, but really I mainly use my ho for that sort of thing. I just don't know how I feel about potential health risks, but I do know I don't really enjoy using it, and thts why we will not replace ours (both the UK ones are inherited from previos owners, or my mother). I get that they are conveniant, but I don't just cook fo convenience, and personally I prefer to interact more with the food I am making, or if I am in a rush I eat a fruit or a yogurt or something like that. In the past I used it for defrosting our dog meat and cooking rice, and other odds and ends, but never have really "cooked" with it so much. That said, I accpt this is an entirely personal choice, I don't reject a coffee with microwave heated milk in it, and have had things that other people have made in their microwaves. Its just not for me on several levels other than health though :)

oh, I used to use it for one of those microwavable bean alternative to hot water bottles, which was quite handy I suppose, but the thing never got hot enough for my liking, and then I burnt it and the house stank of burnt porridge and lavender for weeks, pmsl.

lets counter anecdotal evidence with Further anecdotal evidence shall we...

Astronauts cost Millions to train, even the EVA suits cost over a million a pop!
their food is all irradiated with Cobalt 60, they don`t have the luxury of an Aga or range, all their stuff is Microwaved. I think if there Really was anything to all this nonsense there would be No risks taken with these Expensive people, do you?

as for Amino acids, you do Far more damage to yourself having stuff of a BBQ or a smoker! Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons are Known carcinogen, and no one bats an eyelid :)

nor do I for that matter, I`ve eaten more than my fair share of BBQ`d foods and burned toast in the past and will continue to do so :)

it would also be really funny to see out of all those that dump thier MW`s for "health reasons" are Cigarette smokers?

I just love Irony! :)

Some people will believe anything and everything they see, hear, and read. That is why tabloids like the National Enquirer are still in business.

Also Star and Globe.

Is it any wonder why celebrities are always suing them for slanderous and scandelous lies about them?

But yes, I'm sorry, I'm not buying this story unless it comes from the gov't or something like that.

Last edited:
I believe microwaves are safe too - but here is a question - is cooking food in plastic in a microwave safe? I don't know, I have heard several theories - what's yours?

Yes, especially the ones designed and made for use in the microwave.

But be especially careful with foam plates and foam take-out containers! These can start to melt if left in the microwave too long.

:) I only use glass in the microwave no plastic or paper of any kind.If Im reduced to eating a frozen dinner I pop it out of what ever container and put it on a glass plate or in a bowl.

Back
Top Bottom