"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Appliances

Old 01-04-2006, 04:38 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

agreed michael. there really isn't a soft seal (microwave doesn't require the same seal s thermodymamics), and i also agree that if the fail safe switch on the door is faulty, just chuck it.

the guy that discovered microwave cooking technology did so by noticing that the chocolate bar in his chest pocket was melting when he ran some radar tests. then he died of cancer...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:41 AM   #12
Executive Chef

The "seal" that is often spoke of is actually a strip of metal that completely surrounds the door opening and comes in actual contact with a matching metal strip on the door when closed.

This action keeps the radar energy power inside the oven, since microwaves cannot penetratre through metal at all.

Hence the reason that metal containers can't be used in microwaves because the waves can't go thorough it to warm up or cook the food properly.

What a sad ending after discovering one of the great cooking inventions since fire!

~Corey123.

Old 01-04-2006, 09:20 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123
...This action keeps the neuclear power inside the oven, since microwaves cannot penetratre through metal at all...
Nuclear power!!! Where did you get your microwave oven!?!?

A microwave oven works on radio waves from a specific range in the spectrum. There is no nuclear power involved.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:41 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:

What a sad ending after discovering one of the great cooking inventions since fire!

~Corey123.
I am confused (it doesn't take much). What is the sad ending?
Old 01-04-2006, 10:12 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Well, isn't that basically what microwaves are? Well, I bsaically meant to say radar energy. I'll change it though.

GB, the sad ending was in refference to the guy who discovered microwave
cooking technology. He got cancer and died.

~Corey123.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:14 AM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Ahh OK I didn't realize you were referencing the man who discovered that microwave energy "cooks". I get it now.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:15 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Well, isn't that basically what microwaves are?...
Corey:

Not even close. Microwaves are electrically generated radio waves (as in AM and FM), not radioactive waves.

Nuclear energy comes from a totally different source. There is no connection at all.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:25 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Question

Do you have to get technical?

Then why do some call the microwave oven a nuker?

~Corey123.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:33 AM   #19
Master Chef

Dr. Spencer (father of the Microwave Oven) lived to be 76. He worked with unshielded microwaves fields - my Grandpa died of cancer at 67 and he never came close to microwaves.

OK Corey - I checked Mom's and my microwave ovens and neither have a "metal to metal" contact/seal on the door. They, like all others I've seen, do have a mostly metal shield that covers the opening on the side of the box where the door is located. Think about this .... if the door was totally solid metal you couldn't see through the door when the oven was running.

Quote:
Do you have to get technical?
Only when you ask a question that requires a technical answer!

Microwaves are "magnetic" fields that change polarity between positive and negative (+/-) very quickly (about 2450 Million times per second). The electricity that you are using to run your computer to read this runs at a rate of 60 cycles per second. Water molecules are polar (they respond to +/- magnetic fields) - hum - think of playing with two bar magnets here - making one flip and then turning the other one around to do it again, or the high and low tides caused by the moon. When water molecules are in the presence of a strong magnetic field (like a microwave at high power) they move very rapidly as the magnetic field goes back and forth between +/- ... first being attracted and then repelled by the magnetic field 2450 million times per second. That causes the water molecules to "vibrate" - the vibrations cause friction - and friction causes heat - and the heating causes the water in the food to "cook" it from the inside out - which is why a microwave oven doesn't generate "browning" reactions.

Quote:
Then why do some call the microwave oven a nuker?
Interesting question. I don't know the etymological history of the term - but it may have roots going back to the era of the microwave ovens origins -the dawn of the atomic age (the end of WWII - circa 1945-1946) when it was a new technology that nobody understood - and were not looking for technical answers. Maybe it's akin to why running a vacuum cleaner of any brand over the floor was called "Hoovering" the rug?

Personally, I use the term as a "tongue in cheek" reference to a method of cooking that does not involve conventional (convection, conduction or thermal radiation) heat transfer methods. I do it without thinking or attempting to assign reason or logic on a conscious level. I did not originate the phrase and picked it up from hearing it from someone else about 30 years ago.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:39 PM   #20
Executive Chef

My dad supposedly died of cancer also, and we don't even know if he had or used a microwave at all. And it was feared back in the '70's that microwave ovens caused cancer - another badmouthing that came from top health officials. But with all of the latest safety features in place, that was never really proven and had no basis in fact.

This power comes from the magnetron tube, but first it's fed from a large powerful transformer that boosts the ordinary 120-volt household power to about or almost double the power in order for the magetron to work properly. A large start capacitor is also there for starting power.

In some units, the microwave energy would first hit a stirring fan which had helped to distribute the energy throughout the cavity evenly. That has since been done away with. The waves are now usually fired in from the right side of the oven. I believe now, it was the turntable in most ovens that has replaced that apparatus.

Also, the bigger the oven cavity, the more cooking power it has, along with more "bell & whistles".

It's been said that once this magnetron tube is fried, then you might just as well throw the unit away and go buy a new one because it would cost you untold hundreds to get it replaced if the oven's warranty has run out. More than what you might have paid for the unit in the first place.

And BTW, I'm aware that microwaves have a viewing window in the door.
Incidently, my very first microwave, until it was stolen by crack addicts who once lived with me, was a Litton and it had a large door that had a metal frame.

I just checked my unit after reading your post, to see if my findings were true, and they ARE. The door frame itself IS plastic on the outside, but on the inside, there IS a metal frame surrounding the window that's sized to meet with and come in actual contact with the metal opening of the oven.

And just to recap on your therory that microwaves don't have solid metal doors, in some cases, that does not always apply. Most 7-11 stores have the Amana Radar Range commercial microwaves which use solid metal doors on them.

And oh yes, there are what's called microwave-convection ovens. These units conbine the speed of microwave cooking with the browning convenience of regular convection oven cooking for browning certain foods to perfection. Whirlpool , Sharp, Panasonic and others still make them.

~Corey123.